Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Frequencies

Options
  • 12-08-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a list of church frequencies out there, been hearing a number of them in the 27 mhz range, and wanting to identify them.

Also, how does haveing church broadcasts here affect CB band users, (if there are any left) have comreg moved CB users to another frequency?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No..

It's Licenced Community Radio, basically the the UK FM part of band just under 28MHz. The Euro CB channels are lower
    Community Radio Licence (Used by Churches or anyone that buys one) http://www.irishwattystuff.com/wireless/communitycb.htm

Irish Legal CB
    http://www.irishwattystuff.com/wireless/irishcb.htm
    Irish Euro CB 26.965 .. 27.405MHz (4W peak SSB, FM 4W carrier or 1W carrier AM)

Channel Numbers with UK frequecy and Irish/Euro Frequency side by side
    http://www.irishwattystuff.com/wireless/ukcb.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Those church broadcasts seem to be all over the 27Mhz frequencies. It gets crazy on saturday eves and sunday morns, or when someone croaks it. :D

There are even churches on 27.555 and 27.185 (the calling frequencies)
    Proper madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There was one on 27.185 this morning down where I am. think it was transmitting in FM though as while listening to it on AM it sounded rubbish, but better on FM mode.

Any outside 27.605 to 27.995 are breaking the law and should be reported to Comreg. All must pay annual Licence (about €100).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

watty wrote: »
    Any outside 27.605 to 27.995 are breaking the law and should be reported to Comreg. All must pay annual Licence (about €100).

I didnt know that they were restricted between those two frequencies.

Report them, Just don`t mention that they are interfering with your DXing on 27.555 which unfortunately is just as illegal. :o

• Advertisement

We can only talk about Listening on 27.555MHz. It's not Legal for Transmission here on a CB.

Irish/Euro CB 26.965 .. 27.405MHz (4W peak SSB, FM 4W carrier or 1W carrier AM)

(I fixed wrong link above).

The Tesco "Tecknica" Wireless Mouse uses 27MHz band also. No Doubt under CE mark SRD licence. Anyone know exact channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Keep that in mind when your house is destroyed by an act of God...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

All this started about 6 years now? when Church broadcasts were allegedly interfering with airband...

Cue Comreg and create a €100 license and all of a sudden it's OK to keep transmitting as normal and the interference "magically" disappears :rolleyes:

Sounds fishy to me and money for the boys!!!

However the "interfering" transmissions were supposedly some of the ones on Band II. You can see quite a few Churches with BandII dipoles. I'm not sure how a 87.5MHz to 108MHz transmission creates interference in the 110MHz to 137MHz band.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

ah, either way, it's just a scam to make handy money.

I didn't realise that some churches were transmitting on broadcast band. Unless their setup was a very poor installation <cheap coax, high SWR, cheap & nasty transmitter> If there was interference, 2FM, 98 and all the rest would be out of business by now.

Typical Irish attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I'm not sure how a 87.5MHz to 108MHz transmission creates interference in the 110MHz to 137MHz band

Heres one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

have got these over the last few months
    316over and out

7.035 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City
    27.065 MHz......8pm..........S 5 to 7 near Cork City (FM, . Grenagh?
    27.325 MHz......7:30pm......S 5 near Cork City (FM)
    27.345 MHz......7:30pm......Castlelyons near Rathcormac
    27.475 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City. suggests G
    27.467 MHz......7:30pm......S 8 near Cork City, bad echo (FM).
    27.471 MHz......7:00pm......S 7 near Cork City (FM)
    27.515 MHz......7:00pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM).

27.597 MHz......7:30pm......S 7 near Cork City.
    27.605 MHz......7:30pm...... Berrings near Inniscarra
    27.615 MHz......6:30pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM)
    27.625 MHz......7:30pm......Blarney
    27.655 MHz......7:00pm.....Very weak near Cork City. ......Glounthaune
    27.681 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM)
    27.725 MHz......7:30pm......S 6 near Cork (FM)
    27.745 MHz......7:00pm......Very weak near Cork City, MHz...Sundays, very weak
    27.791 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM)
    27.801 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM)
    27.815 MHz......7:00pm..... Boherbue, weak near Cork City (FM)
    27.865 MHz......6:30pm......Probably St.Mary's Church in Mallow
    27.865 MHz......8:00pm......Very weak near Cork City (FM)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ajhalpin

Who would the churches typically be targeting with these broadcasts. Poor sinners obviously :D, but who would realistically pick up these transmissions apart from a few Hams. Will CB'ers get this?

AJ

The idea was that old/ill people who couldnt travel to church could buy recievers (scanners or those cheap "multiband" recievers) .

Given that it takes a certain level of technical knowledge to operate such a reciever (and that church services are broadcast on RTE and various local stations anyway) though Im not sure what takeup was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

Renewed reports (October 2010) of apparent Church Broadcasts in Ireland within the amateur 10 metre band (28-29.7MHz):

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/showarchive.cgi?101003.txt
    http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1041.txt + other sites too
    ** IRELAND. HELP NEEDED IN FINDING CHURCHES ON 10 METER FM

Illegal broadcast transmitters in churches are again being heard
    across the great Atlantic pond, and your help is needed to find them.

Ger McNamara, EI4GXB, is the Irish Radio Transmitters Society's IARU
    Intruder Watch coordinator. He is asking hams and SWLs to again keep
    an ear on 28265kHz FM. This, based on incursions by churches on this
    frequency heard throughout Europe with signals equaling S9 +20db.

In addition, McNamara days that there have also been reports of a
    Church in the Dublin area transmitting on 28030kHz. This is in the CW
    portion of the 10 meter band.
    etc

One has to wonder if one, if not both of the above mentioned frequencies is someone (or more than one) 'messing' rather than genuinely from a church ?

i.e. some clown (either with an amateur licence or not) deliberately transmitting a recording of a church service on the ham 10metre band, rather than the offending transmission actually coming from a church!
    "throughout Europe with signals equaling S9 +20db"

How much power into a omnidirectional vertical (which a church would be using) would be likely for such 'very strong signals' reports during skip? Again maybe its actually some 'joker'/troublemaker maybe with a few hundred watts into a 'beam' aimed a mainland Europe, retransmitting/transmitting a recording of a church!
    It would hardly be the first time that there has been 'messing' on amateur bands.

After years and years of churches using '11 metres' with no interference to legal amateur radio it genuinely happened in 2007 that one church in Dublin somehow moved from '11 metres' into the ham 10 metre band (and inaudible to intended listeners, as the cheap multiband receivers do not tune up as far as the start of the 10 metre band anyway!) . But strange other similar reception reports follow shortly afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

However the "interfering" transmissions were supposedly some of the ones on Band II. You can see quite a few Churches with BandII dipoles. I'm not sure how a 87.5MHz to 108MHz transmission creates interference in the 110MHz to 137MHz band.

Because some of the transmitters they used produced other signals.
    Some of these transmitters produced other signals that would wander
    along the band and would become a nuisance at 108 MHz and
    eventually would end up passing through 144 MHz a few hours later.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/SI304of2006.pdf
    Article 4 says 5 years unless revoked.

Antenna wrote: »
    Renewed reports (October 2010) of apparent

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/showarchive.cgi?101003.txt

The wheels on this are turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

According to this
    http://www.iarums-r1.org/iarums/latest.pdf
    28265.000 0930 24.10.10 IRL F3E Irish Church divine service still active

28265kHz heard 09:30 UTC last Sunday in Germany? due to skip

Whatever it is (accidental or deliberate) though why is this 28265kHz attributed to the Republic of Ireland only?

It could be from Northern Ireland - there too there have been many Catholic churches using radio equipment to broadcast mass to listeners at home who cannot attend etc.

Did they recognise particular accents or places mentioned?

The UK also allows church broadcasting on (some) 27 MHz frequencies. There are quite a few churches (mainly but not exclusively RC) here in NI using this band. Im at a bit of a loss as to the point of it though. If the transmitters are being operated at the legal power level (4w) without the use of "burner" amplifiers your average £30 "multiband" radio is not going to be of much use unless one lives very near the church anyway ? And without some form of audio compression/AGC (at the TX) its going to be very difficult to follow whats being said given the typical audio quality on such setups.

There are still Churches in parts of the Republic of Ireland using the 87.6-107.9 MHz broadcast band :mad:
    humaxf1 wrote: »
    ah, either way, it's just a scam to make handy money.

You mean religion or the issuing of licences ? :pac:

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    According to this
    http://www.iarums-r1.org/iarums/latest.pdf

28265kHz heard 09:30 UTC last Sunday in Germany? due to skip

Has anyone heard the 28265 signal themselves and if so,
    what is the signal strength and locality/general-area ?

If there are radio amateurs in the vicinity of the church in question what is there to stop them firing up their rigs 1 or 2 KHz either side of the offending transmission and sending a bit of high speed morse CW or somesuch.

Obviously deliberate jamming would be even more illegal than the transmission being jammed but surely nothing wrong with sending out some CQ calls or doing some "TVI testing" on frequencies one is licensed to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Haha, at least it gives you lot something to listen to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

We can only talk about Listening on 27.555MHz. It's not Legal for Transmission here on a CB.

Irish/Euro CB 26.965 .. 27.405MHz (4W peak SSB, FM 4W carrier or 1W carrier AM)

(I fixed wrong link above).

The Tesco "Tecknica" Wireless Mouse uses 27MHz band also. No Doubt under CE mark SRD licence. Anyone know exact channel?
    I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that I think operate in the 27MHz range but I have not determined the exact frequency yet. Unfortunately, I'm away from home at the moment but I'll try to get on it as soon as I am back.

Félim M3HIM
    Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
    Sandymount, Dublin 4, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

Mine is a Logitech Mouse and i have similiar probs on 27Mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

Mine is a Logitech Mouse and i have similiar probs on 27Mhz
    What kind of problems?

BTW, if you determine that your mouse is operating in the 27.6MHz - 27.99MHz WPAS band, it's most likely a church mouse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fm_radio

bmw316 wrote: »
    have got these over the last few months
    316over and out

7.035 MHz......7:30pm......Very weak near Cork City
    27.065 MHz......8pm..........S 5 to 7 near Cork City (FM, . Grenagh?
    It's amazing how you heard exactly the same as what I posted on another forum....complete with mistakes! :rolleyes:

So just to bump an old post, can anyone ID these churches? Most likely somewhere in Munster (...or add on any others that are local to you)

27.065 MHz (FM)..........2 on this frequency
    27.161 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.205 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.285 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.315 MHz (FM).........Blarney, Cork? or near it?
    27.335 MHz (FM).........? (Week day 9:30am mass)
    27.355 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.365 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.395 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.505 MHz (FM)..........2 on this frequency
    27.605 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.615 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.618 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.681 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.731 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.735 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.775 MHz (FM)..........??
    27.791 MHz (FM)..........? (Sat 10am, 6:30pm mass)
    27.815 MHz (FM)..........2 on this frequency. Carrigtwohill near Cork City & ??

fm_radio wrote: »
    28.815 MHz (FM)..........2 on this frequency. Carrigtwohill near Cork City & ??

I hope you meant 27.815 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fm_radio

brownmini wrote: »
    I hope you meant 27.815 ?
    Now corrected :)

• Advertisement

fm_radio wrote: »
    Now corrected :)

Phew!..that was close.
    A DF-hunt for another religious-transmission source narrowly avoided.:D

Advertisement