Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Router Help!

• 12-08-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have been using a netgear wgr614v9 for about a year now with no trouble, but recently its causing some slow speeds!

I have 20mb broadband from ntl(upc) and i got the router free when i signed up.

So i gave ntl a ring to see if the trouble was coming from ther end which it wasnt and they gave me the number to netgear support, who i shall never ring again!

So these are the steps iv done so far:

1. I took the router out and connected strat to the modem. works fine

2. Checked it using a different router a netgear wgr614v7. works fine

3. I backed up my routers settings and then restored the factory settings, then restored saved settings. doesnt work

4. So then i just restored the factory settings without puttin back my saved setings and it worked perfectly but for only 3 hours at most, i tried it again and it doesnt work

Iv tried other things i think but iv been trying for 2 days to resolve this issue and tbh my brain is mush right now. Is the router F***ed or has anyone any idea as to how this can be fixed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    , Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ontheway

I'll be honest with you, my family have 2 seperate broadband connections with NTL using different routers connected to the modems. About a week ago I noticed that the speed of both connections were down to about 30% of what they should have been (according to speedtest.net). Also both broadband connections are @ two different postal addresses about 2 miles apart.

At first I rebooted the routers -- No improvement

Then I rebooted the modem -- No improvement

Then I turned off both for about 10 mins, then back on -- No improvement

I connected a machine directly to the modem and all of a suden I was getting exactly the speed I should have been getting all along.

I connected the router back up again and speed was now back down again. So clearly I thought it must have been the router. So I went through all the settings on the router and I couldn't find anything that was out of the ordinary. Certainly none of the settings had changed prior to the slow down. I tested the other location and I found the exact same story as above, there. It worked fine with direct connection, but once I introduced the router, it was crap again.

So this evening I noticed with the router I was getting full speed on speedtest.net and I thought great, we're back in business. Then I started to browse the web and play QuakeLive, etc. On both counts I got a poor speeds. I couldn't even play QuakeLive because every now and then the connection would be "interrupted" and my ping was consistently high. When I went back to speedtest.net it told me that I was still getting a great result.

I swear if I was paranoid I'd say that NTL have done their best to optimize the route between their customers and speedtest.net but as for the rest of the net something is wrong.

Anyone else experience this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adriano08

ok well thats pretty much the same as mine but, when u do the test on speedtest.net is ur ip showing 89.101.49.40 or somethin different?

Is the router u have the same as mine wgr614v9? Your problem sounds very similar to my own.

Advertisement