Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap countries? For 1years holiday

Options
  • 12-08-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Need some help. Can you recommend some cheap countries for 1 years holiday. I'm thinking of thailand. Any more countries?

Have some savings. Have 4 grand. If I was to hand in my notice next week, it would be maybe 2 to 3 months before I'd be able to leave. So thats maybe another 2 grand savings. Need to live comfortably for a year with that much savings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Asia (Thailand, Vietnam etc) is a good idea- the flight will cost you but once there, if you are prepared to rough it, you can live very cheaply. South American might be another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

argentina?

sicily?

greece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Judges earn €3,000 per year in China, so 4k will do you well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thailand isn't as cheap as it was.

However, Bolivia is amazing and cheap.

Indonesia and the countries around Thailand (except Malaysia) are cheap. i.e. Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.

You could live well on 200 euro a week in these countries.

How about doing a tour of these countries. Or go to Indonesia. It's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

Thailand - I'm not sure you have enough for there. The visa situation is a bit tricky there. Personally, this would be my least favourite of any of the countries in this region.

China - I get the impression that it is largely more expensive than Thailand. I'm sure you could find a cheap area but how is your Mandarin? The visa situation is tricky for China.

Vietnam - Food is very cheap there. Stick to the local stuff and you can easily eat well for a max of 80c per meal. Ho Chi Min City would be a fantastic place to live in. However, accommodation is relatively expensive there. Expect to pay €150+/month for a hotel room/apartment. Visas are easy to get but a little expensive US$50 per three months. It would be a stretch to live here on your budget. But you could teach English and make a bit of money. I'm in HCMC now and spend an average of €10/day including my hotel room.

Indonesia - Food is not as cheap as Vietnam, you can eat for €0.80-€1.50 a go for local fare. However the food is mostly mediocre in my opinion. Accommodation is very cheap here. I recently had a great double room with ensuite bathroom and cold shower at Lake Toba (very quiet place) for €1.40/night. However, the visa situation isn't ideal for this country. Beer is a tad expensive by Asian standards, but if you're on such a tight budget then I think it could be time to give up the beer. (Info based on Sumatra, Java would be a little more expensive). Stay alcohol free, be aware of where the bargains are and live here for €7+/day.

India - I haven't been to this country but I'm told it is incredibly cheap. I've heard you can stay in certain temples for free (but you give a donation) and get free food there also. If you lend a hand with the temple's duties I'm certain you could break even over the course of your stay. Visas for India allow you to stay for six months. But living in India would take a major adjustment to the culture.

Malaysia - Penang, the country's second city would be a good bet. The food there is fantastic - take your pick from Chinese, Indian or Malay food for €0.70-€1 a go for a decent meal. You could stay in a dormitory here for €1.80/night. You don't need a visa for Malaysia - just leave the country once every 90 days to renew your stamp (free of charge). However, unlike any of the above countries, getting employment here and making some money would be very unlikely for various reasons e.g. local laws in favour of the ethnic Malays. Alcohol is very expensive here by Asian standards. English is widespread in Malaysia and the country is generally a very easy one to live in. Stay alcohol free, be aware of where the bargains are and live here for €6+/day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Luke Kelly

Praha or prauge czech republic , when i was there 2 year's ago a pint of beer was 75 cent and a filet mignon with all the trimming's which is normally 25 euro's in dublin is only 4 euro's in praha , plus the beer is fantasticly mouth watering !

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

My partner and I are on a driving holiday around Europe. We're hoping to spend a year doing so. We bought a tent and we stay at campsites using the ACSI card, so our accommodation costs around €13 a night. We have been through some of France, part of Spain, Andorra and are now in Portugal. Food is not very expensive, even in restaurants and beer is cheap too. We're having a great time, weather is warm most of the time and we're seeing a lot and learning other cultures! I'd definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Luke Kelly wrote: »
    Praha or prauge czech republic , when i was there 2 year's ago a pint of beer was 75 cent and a filet mignon with all the trimming's which is normally 25 euro's in dublin is only 4 euro's in praha , plus the beer is fantasticly mouth watering !

I second the Czech Republic, but not Prague, as it is more expensive, than other parts of the country.At the moment 2 of us(OH and me) are living on 60 euros a week plus rent, and that 'living' includes cigarettes and beer/spirit, food, with a bit left over for going out.

I got charged about 40 cents for just under a pint of beer in my local today. Other advantage is its not as far away as Thailand or elsewhere far eastern. The ticket there and back will cost about a grand, and if you need to get home quickly, you will pay through the nose for it. I got here for about 100 euros all in with Ryanair, and if you want do go even cheaper, there is a Bus from London to Prague for about 70.

Where ever you decide to go, let us all know and Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

syklops wrote: »
    I second the Czech Republic, but not Prague, as it is more expensive, than other parts of the country.At the moment 2 of us(OH and me) are living on 60 euros a week plus rent, and that 'living' includes cigarettes and beer/spirit, food, with a bit left over for going out.

I got charged about 40 cents for just under a pint of beer in my local today. Other advantage is its not as far away as Thailand or elsewhere far eastern. The ticket there and back will cost about a grand, and if you need to get home quickly, you will pay through the nose for it. I got here for about 100 euros all in with Ryanair, and if you want do go even cheaper, there is a Bus from London to Prague for about 70.

Where ever you decide to go, let us all know and Good Luck!

hi syklops, where in the czech republic are you?

do you mind me asking, are you working? is there much work there? what's to do?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

howdy howdy

an option would be to go to somewhere like Beijing (which I am looking into myself at the mo) and teach English there for a year. This would help immensely with the Visa. You could get a role doing just a few hours a week, and you'd probably pull in enough to live reasonably for a year (800 a month for instance would be good) without diminishing your savings considerably.

Let us know what you decide on! 4K is a good cushion by the way to do this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

The southern part of Mexico, particularly the Pacific coast, is so cheap it's not funny. I'd say you'd get by on a tenner a day there no probs (granted, you'd need Spanish to eat in the local joints).

Advertisement