Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use NTL braodband for playing poker

Options
  • 12-08-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Viewing an apartment tommorrow but they only have NTL broadband, what exactly is that and how does it work, ive used mobile broadband before and wasnt too impressed although it is solid sometimes and up to this ive been using ESAT BT DSL broadband which is excellent with no problems. I just want something thats reliable all day. I did search the broadband forum but it was more general comments on NTL speed but no disconnects is more relevant for poker players since a d/c could cost alot of money aswell as the possible tilt when 10 tables get disconnected etc etc

But how is NTL done, is it via mobile technology or dsl lines or is it via the same line as the television comes in. I already pay 40 a month plus line rental which i dont really use and theyve told me i get TV, + phone and broadband for 50 a month which sounds too cheap and i rather pay more and get a reliable internet connnection since i play poker full time.

Dont want to commit to a 12 month lease and then find out im stuck with problamatic internet connection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yep. Never have any problems with it.

EDIT The NTL connection is via cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah NTL is cable and not mobile. It's the best BB out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I've used NTL Internet for over a year now and no probs. It comes in through the same line as the television. I never experienced any downtime with it or anything. The initial setup NTL were a nightmare, took approx 2/3 months before we had internet but thats down to clueless technicians and crap customer support.

They don't seem to monitor download limits, we've gone over our limit a thousand times and nothing has happened.

AFAIK the offer for TV, Phone + internet is a 1mb line, pretty crappy speed for the internet. I'd go with at least 3mb. We pay 65 a month for digital and 3mb line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Great, thanks lads, since all the apartments are using NTL hopefully wont take too long to get it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

I think NTL is probably the best available. I have eircom in my app at the moment and I am looking to move to NTL. NTL have a 20mb line now AFAIK and they are due to release a better one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

NTL must die...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

NTL must die...BECAUSE
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭karpov33

Using ntl for last three years no problem . I may blame them for my awful results online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

It sounds cheap but they have some really great deals, their internet service is absolutely fantastic, ive been with them years now and never had any serious problems/downtime with them.

One thing i will say is that their customer service can be atrocious at times, so bare with it and you will be grand.

It defo gets the thumbs up from me for their broadband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Anyone use ipoker on NTL?
    It would just never work for me the past, ipoker claimed it was an NTL issue, etc.

I've moved since (still with NTL) but haven't tried it out.
    Anyone using it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Sounds cheap? Have any of ye actually *used* your internet connection to check their packages?

The package on offer is close to the best they have, and the connection is fine. Using it right now myself. They're quite good with problems, and while slow on occasion their support has very few bad marks against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

NTL must die...

They have been dead for about 4 years now. Chorus NTL is soon to be UPC.

UPC/CHORUS NTL broadband is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Heavy usage on ntl/upc.

Never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Headspace

I had it in Cork. Customer support is crap and DONT EVER TURN THE MODEM OFF. A tech nician told me that when i hand one out for the third time, they are clueless. It was not as good as eircom for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Heavy usage on ntl/upc.

Never had a problem.
    Likewise - use it in both Dublin and when at home in Galway. Nice, fast and reliable as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

My NTL has been quite bad lately. Getting lots of disconnections from a few diff poker sites. Maybe its the poker sites tho, but I doubt they are all having trouble this past wk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭nVid

When the tv goes down, so goes their broadband and they "Upgrade" alot thus the connection stops untill its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Been using them for over 4 years.
    Cant recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

nVid wrote: »
    When the tv goes down, so goes their broadband and they "Upgrade" alot thus the connection stops untill its over.

True, if they'd just send out an email warning of downtimes it would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

I think when ntl were in charge there was all sorts of bolloxogy going on with upgrades. Since upc have taken over the operartion I've had one upgrade in 8 months with no hassle whatsoever.

One card. In you get. Robert's yer mother's brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The-Rigger wrote: »
    True, if they'd just send out an email warning of downtimes it would be ok.

I was just thinking about this. RTÉ have announcements on RTÉ ONE AND TWO when their will be FTA outages.

Why can't UPC put a ticker on during the adds to let people know there will be outages for upgrades in your area.

::: Please note that TV/broadband/telephone services will be down between 1am and 4am on Thursday the 25th :::::

Advertisement