Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Address on gun cert

Options
  • 12-08-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi,

I have had shotgun/rifle for the last 10+ years, the gun license was always in my home address ( my parents house ) as thats where i used to live (obviously) and they live in the countryside so it was always easier to have the guns stored there as I shoot in the fields around their house.

I have since moved out 7 years ago or so and have never updated the address on the license as I live in town now always thought that the FO would look negatively on me having the guns and not living in the country for reasons of gun security etc.....

Should I now take this opportunity to either ask to keep the guns in my parents house ( preferable option ) or inform them of my new address in town?

Or should I just say nothing and let them come out and inspect the safe in my parent house and elt them think i live there?

Do you think this will have any affect on my firearms license.
    I own a Bailkel Shotgun and a CZ .17 HMR

Thanks

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Are your guns currently stored in a safe in your parent's house? Or do you have them (unsecured) in your own premises? Gunsafe in the parent's house seems to be the most secure place to keep them - I assume your folks are actually living there? I would imagine that the FO and CPO would prefer if the guns are in a secure location where people are there 24x7, rather than a house/apartment/whatever where it is unoccupied for a good portion of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was told if you don't have the license then you can't have/hold the guns. So as your perents do not hold current licenses for your guns then they can't store the guns.

Having said that you could put your parents house as your present address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

The guns are currently stored in a steel cabinet ( I will need a new gun cabinet ) in a press in my parents house which is alarmed and has CCTV.
    The house is occupied every day as she minds a child.
    I always thought it was safer there than in a 3 bed semi in town where there is less space for a cabinet and possibly a better chance of a break in, but i'm not sure how the FO might take the fact that I dont live in my parent house. ( If i dont tell him )

Mac

mac80 wrote: »
    The guns are currently stored in a steel cabinet ( I will need a new gun cabinet ) in a press in my parents house which is alarmed and has CCTV.
    The house is occupied every day as she minds a child.
    I always thought it was safer there than in a 3 bed semi in town where there is less space for a cabinet and possibly a better chance of a break in, but i'm not sure how the FO might take the fact that I dont live in my parent house. ( If i dont tell him )

Mac

Your on the right track there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

clivej wrote: »
    I was told if you don't have the license then you can't have/hold the guns. So as your perents do not hold current licenses for your guns then they can't store the guns.

Having said that you could put your parents house as your present address.
    Mmmmm .... don't see anything like that in the Firearms Acts.

The grant of a firearms certificate is conditional on several things including:

(d) has provided secure accommodation for the firearm and ammunition at
    the place where it is to be kept,

This doesn't specify that you have to keep the firearm(s) at your own home address. It just specifies "secure" accommodation where it is to be kept. :)

Just keep the key of the safe away from Mam and Dad;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

When I got my FAC last year (.22 rifle) I was straight up with the F.O. and told him I wanted to store it in my mothers house as it was more secure (she'd be there a lot and has a monitored alarm) and I lived in an apartment where I couldn't fit a safe and had no alarm. He said he wasn't happy with the arrangement, that I should be living where the firearm was being stored and I was pretty sure I'd be refused but I got my licence a whiles later.

Just my experience. As we are all well aware its different for everyone and seemingly depends on what side of the bed those who decide these matters get out of in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

clivej wrote: »
    I was told if you don't have the license then you can't have/hold the guns

As in you cant possess. I would assume the guns in a locked safe are not really in their possession if they dont have keys.

I cant see a problem with it.

Do you worry about who knows you own a gun ? Just posted on another thread about keeping my rifle at my mothers house. When I call to pick it up (she lives in an estate with about 50 other houses I wrap it in a big black bin bag to disguise the outline (it's only in a canvas sleeve at the moment). We would both be concerned a small bit that someone either innocently might see it and mention it to someone (and so on and so on) or someone passing through might take note if they saw an obvious firearm being transported.

None of my friends know where I store my gun. I know I can trust them but ya can never be too safe.

Maybe I'm a bit overcautious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

dont think theres anything wrong with been overcautious
    why dont ya just get a safe and keep it locked up in that?

endasmail wrote: »
    dont think theres anything wrong with been overcautious
    why dont ya just get a safe and keep it locked up in that?

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. My rifle is locked in a gun safe in my mothers house under a monitored alarm. I live in a rented apartment where structural differences say I can't securely fix a gunsafe. And I have no alarm. See post no.7

• Advertisement

Just looking at the new firearm cert application form section 3.5 Firearm Storage Details gives you the option of ticking a box if the gun is stored in an other location. This may refer to storage at a club.

Advertisement