Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann apologies for passenger ‘discomfort’

• 12-08-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Iarnród Éireann has apologised to passengers this afternoon over reported problems with overcrowding on the 9am Sligo to Dublin service this morning.

Maintenance problems yesterday led to the today’s train having only three carriages instead of the usual six.

Some passengers contacted Ocean FM News today saying they feared for their safety.

Barry Kenny of Iarnród Éireann says passengers were not put at risk but it is a situation that won’t arise again.
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/08/12/iarnrod-eireann-apologies-for-passenger-discomfort/

Are we going back to the bad old days when Sligo trains broke down regularly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I thought with the new trains each carriage had its own engine so even if one was to break down the others could take up the slack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I thought the same as Slidey.

Anytime we've been on the train there always seem to be people that can't get seats and last time the train was delayed for an hour at Boyle due to another train broken down in Sligo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Whats with it do you think? Are they saving on petrol or diesel or something? Certainly a health and safety risk. At least in the good old days of the last recession when the train almost religiously broke down in Mostrim you could open the windows. (Most of the time you could open the windows and stick the head out if you wanted there was only the one line and no passing trains:D)

And as an aside but related to health and safety- whats with this business of them practically advocating smoking, the last few times I was on it. Any time theres been a delay at a station to tell folk to get off if they want for a cigarette. As a public body arent they supposed to be enforcing the smoking ban. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

But who's gonna risk losing their seat for a ciggie now...:confused:

mandz wrote: »
    But who's gonna risk losing their seat for a ciggie now...:confused:

Most of the cigarette smokers I know would risk their seat for a fag. Of course theres always the toilets for some by all accounts, dont want to be catching a cold now. :(:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

tuppence wrote: »
    Whats with it do you think? Are they saving on petrol or diesel or something? Certainly a health and safety risk. At least in the good old days of the last recession when the train almost religiously broke down in Mostrim you could open the windows. (Most of the time you could open the windows and stick the head out if you wanted there was only the one line and no passing trains:D)

And as an aside but related to health and safety- whats with this business of them practically advocating smoking, the last few times I was on it. Any time theres been a delay at a station to tell folk to get off if they want for a cigarette. As a public body arent they supposed to be enforcing the smoking ban. :confused:

+1 unbelievable, why not start smoking sections again then? And yes every smoker I know risk annything for their ciggy.

And yes I'm one of these ex-smokers who I hated when I was still smoking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭teddy_303

Why would someone who does not smoke, have an issue with people who do having a ciggie on the platform while the train has stopped? You must really miss them to be that annoyed if you don't mind me saying. Not avocation, just informing people of their choice, being adults and all. I'm well impressed. One of the few common sense things people get to see these days. :cool::cool:

+1 unbelievable, why not start smoking sections again then? And yes every smoker I know risk annything for their ciggy.

And yes I'm one of these ex-smokers who I hated when I was still smoking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's ridiculous - especially given the fact that people take the train instead of the bus because the former is supposed to be more comfortable, albeit more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

teddy_303 wrote: »
    Why would someone who does not smoke, have an issue with people who do having a ciggie on the platform while the train has stopped? You must really miss them to be that annoyed if you don't mind me saying. Not avocation, just informing people of their choice, being adults and all. I'm well impressed. One of the few common sense things people get to see these days. :cool::cool:

as I said I'm the ex smoker I hated while I was smoking.
    Stopped smoking 15+ years ago and don't miss them at all. I'm not really that annoyed since it was 20+ years ago I was in a train :D.

Don't like walking through people who smoke though, like at the sligo general where people insist to smoke at the door way instaed of the alocated shelter. So a smoking section on the platform is the simple solultion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

as I said I'm the ex smoker I hated while I was smoking.
    Stopped smoking 15+ years ago and don't miss them at all. I'm not really that annoyed since it was 20+ years ago I was in a train :D.

Don't like walking through people who smoke though, like at the sligo general where people insist to smoke at the door way instaed of the alocated shelter. So a smoking section on the platform is the simple solultion.

Smoking in enclosed workplaces (which includes railway platforms) is illegal so there would have to be a change in the law to allow smoking sections.

You are right about SGH and the smokers in the doorway - another example of poor management and low standards. Staff who smoke at the entrance should be disciplined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its a Rip Off too €44 Return Cheaper for me to Drive! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Its a Rip Off too €44 Return Cheaper for me to Drive! :cool:

Think it cost me approx €35 in petrol this weekend...
    I don't know how they justify charging €44 for a return ticket - such a crowd of thieving ba$tards.
    TBH I'd actually consider getting the train if it was cheeper, hate driving home with a hangover, would much prefer to sit down with the laptop and watch a DVD.

The train from Dublin was delayed by about 40 minutes this afternoon....due to technical difficulties.:rolleyes:
    Loads of people hanging around and we had no idea when the train was going to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

You really should get some money back or a discount of some kind if the train is delayed.

CSC wrote: »
    You really should get some money back or a discount of some kind if the train is delayed.

We didn't even get a free cuppa:(

magnumlady wrote: »

Yes that sounds like Ianroid Eireann alright. And your right as well you wouldnt mind so much if they showed some kind of professionalism or basic courtesy to make an announcement or communicate with their customers. :(

Whereas in Northern Ireland
    1. Passengers will be entitled to receive compensation under the following conditions:

Individual Service Delay Compensation

If your journey is delayed between 30 and 59 minutes, we will pay compensation to the value of 50% of the cost of a single ticket or 50% of either portion of a return ticket (meaning either the outward or return leg of the journey).
    If your journey is delayed between 60 and 119 minutes, we will pay compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of a single ticket or 100% of either portion of a return ticket.
    If your journey is delayed by more than 119 minutes, we will pay compensation to the full value of the price paid for a return journey. Holders of single tickets will also be compensated with the value of a return ticket for their journey.
    The same compensation arrangements will apply to weekly, monthly and annual tickets. For these tickets, compensation will be calculated based on the proportional daily cost of the price paid for the ticket.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Given IE's shockingly poor record of bridge failures, just count yerself lucky to be getting to your destination in one piece.

Especially given the dilapidated state of the Lough Tap railway bridge. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I thought the same as Slidey.

Anytime we've been on the train there always seem to be people that can't get seats and last time the train was delayed for an hour at Boyle due to another train broken down in Sligo.

Hah! We were on that train coming back from the zoo! Keeping a 6 year old entertained when he knows he should be home by now is hard.

It has happened again! Still nothing to worry about: there will be an inspection, well, a visual inspection - well, you know someone will look at it and say "that is OK", just like the Malahide viaduct.

No comment from the Mayor?

"The Sligo to Dublin service has broken down for the second time in as many months leading to fears about the reliability of the new fleet.

The 5.45am service experienced a mechanical fault at Boyle this morning and was unable to continue on its journey to Dublin.

The latest breakdown follows an incident at Ballymote two months ago which meant many passengers experienced a delay of up to three hours.

However a spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann said that there is no problem with the Sligo to Dublin service.

He added that this morning’s incident was a mechanical fault which happens on all services from time to time."

• Advertisement
Advertisement