Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Darabont Developing Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series For AMC

• 12-08-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

51tmLC9i9DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Darabont has done practically no wrong in my eyes.. and this sounds great!
    AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'm a big fan of Darabont and really like The Walking Dead books so I like the sound of this. And its long overdue too. A TV series would be the perfect way to tell a post-apocalyptic zombie story. Thing is though, that unless its shown well after the watershed its unlikely to have much if any violence and gore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't know if Darabont would really do a violent/gory film. I think the confines of television could lead to a really atmospheric creepy series instead. It could really work in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

<3 Frank Darabont. I'll follow this one closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Sounds promising... good change of pace from all the vampire stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Those books are quite good. Its better to do it as a tv show as well; a movie wouldn't work.

Is AMC like HBO or Showtime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is AMC like HBO or Showtime?
    Somewhat - they're a cable station whose most popular shows are 'Breaking Bad' and 'Mad Men'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've no idea who Frank Darabont is and zombies are right up there with vampires in terms of things I have no interest in. But.... AMC and my True Blood epiphany mean I might give this a shot.

I've no idea who Frank Darabont is..
    Writer and director of (among others): The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

basquille wrote: »
    Writer and director of (among others): The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist.

To be fair Stephen King wrote the stories to the above 3, Darabont wrote the screen adaptation, but he's still a legend, those 3 films were awesome.

• Advertisement

To be fair Stephen King wrote the stories to the above 3, Darabont wrote the screen adaptation, but he's still a legend, those 3 films were awesome.
    But they are three stunning screenplays for them alright..

.. even making a better job at the conclusion of 'The Mist' than King did IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Writer and director of (among others): The Shawshank Redemption.

So we can expect the finale to be in 6 parts? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

.. even making a better job at the conclusion of 'The Mist' than King did IMO.

King thinks the same, he said the movie had the ending he should have written.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I initially liked The Walking Dead, but it got too weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Creature wrote: »
    Thing is though, that unless its shown well after the watershed its unlikely to have much if any violence and gore.

To be fair, violence and gore is not what The Walking Dead is about, it's about the characters. That's not to say there wasn't gore in the comics, but rather that's not the focal point of it, and the story could be told without the gore without losing much.

Honestly, The Walking Dead is one of the very finest pieces of zombie fiction there is, if it's brought to the screen intact, it could be something downright incredible.

Advertisement