Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another boiler question!!

Options
  • 12-08-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a Grant 55F boiler(15+ years old) and got a quote today from a local gas installer for a vekora(are vekora a good brand?) condensing combi boiler.

We would be getting rid of the copper cylinder also ect.

Is this a good idea to go for condensing boiler or should i just get a non condensing one but which satisfies for the grant?

Which would be cheaper to run on a 8 rad 1600 sq ft house?
    What size boiler should i make sure i get?

Is a price net of grant inc. vat of 2k good value?

For this they would fit new boiler,take out old cylinder,block off pipes of old back boiler,fit 6 trvs,fit roomstat.Run new water pipes to existing sink for hot water distribution.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Comments

I wouldn't change a stored water system for a combi unless i had a good reason ie space, combis are good but you need great incoming mains water to get the most out of it, ask your installer to tell you in liters per minute the flow speed of your mains so you can see how it compares with the manufactures minimum and maximum flow rate requirements, if you go for a combi get the biggest size boiler you can ie.. 35kw(if you have the flow speed), this will give you the best hot water performance, but make sure the gas pipe is sized properly and the commissioning engineer matches the heating output of the boiler to the heat required for the rads, the heat requirement can be found by measuring the rads and asking a decent supplier what there combined heat output is, also unless you fit a electric shower you will not have any back up if the combi breaks down, combis are are more complicated to work on than a system boiler as they have more working parts. Have a look at the SEDBUK boiler list http://www.sedbuk.com/ this will give you a idea on the most efficient boilers out there but remember to take off 4-5% as condensing boiler normally only condense on start up(condensing boilers are the only boilers that meet current building regs). I like Vissman, Worcester Bosch and Valiant boilers, i don't like Vokera boilers, one last thing have your rads power flushed before you put the new boiler on to clear out any sludge, add a inhibitor afterwords to keep things clean have a look at http://www.fernox.com/index.php?cccpage=solving_your_problems for more info, Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks Gary for the info.
    I presume you are an installer from your knowledge?

Any chance you are in the cork area?

Regards,

Kieran

I'm not a installer, I'm a gas service technician and i work for a boiler manufacturer, i try to stay away from Cork since they put me on a dingy and sent me out to Horse island:(.

Advertisement