Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned In Vatican City

Options
  • 12-08-2009 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I came across this entry under banned films in Wiki, these are the only films listed as banned in the Vatican City. Life of Brian is hilarious and al the funnier in that a lot of it is very accurete, i.e. the line of guys waiting to be crucified as this was very common method of execution in that time, The Da Vinci Code, rubbishy conspiracy, tbh I have never watched it and probably never will but makes one wonder why did the Vatican ban it.

But The Magdalene Sisters? "Former Magdalen inmate Mary-Jo McDonagh told Mullan that the reality of the Magdalene Asylums was much worse than depicted in the film."

This is a true story and there was a 2,000 page report published on it which I have read part of and is way worse than the film, makes one woder!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cause they live in a happy bubble and dont want to know/admit about what really happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

Cause they live in a happy bubble and dont want to know/admit about what really happens

A happy richest state in the world bubble, wonder do they make movies, no, am better off not knowing. annoying though that they have the cheek to ban it. possibly should have posted this under religion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Or After Hours. Then the fun starts :pac:

Or After Hours. Then the fun starts :pac:

I will check it out, have not posted much here much but seems pretty diverse and ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Life of Brian is hilarious and al the funnier in that a lot of it is very accurete, i.e. the line of guys waiting to be crucified as this was very common method of execution in that time

It was banned here too for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Magdalene Sisters are not banned in vatican city, Wiki must have it wrong

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It was banned here too for a long time.
    It was too, and was very easy to get as was every banned film/book with a few exceptions :(

Magdalene Sisters are not banned in vatican city, Wiki must have it wrong

I have come across other references to it being banned, but fair enough I will take another look and see, have you any links to where it says it is not banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

It was too, and was very easy to get as was every banned film/book with a few exceptions :(

nothing like an old banning to increase the hysteria around a film. The best bit is it results in more people seeing the film than actually would have bothered watching it if it wasnt banned. I remember when Natural born killers was banned, everyone round our way went mad to see it. I'm sure most of our school seen the pirate copy that was floating around.

Is the Passion of St Tibulus not banned in the Vatican?

nothing like an old banning to increase the hysteria around a film. The best bit is it results in more people seeing the film than actually would have bothered watching it if it wasnt banned. I remember when Natural born killers was banned, everyone round our way went mad to see it. I'm sure most of our school seen the pirate copy that was floating around.

Is the Passion of St Tibulus not banned in the Vatican?
    :) That is true or RTE removing a Brian Cowen painting from it's website...

List of banned films here was looking at Ireland and seen Vatican by chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

:)
    List of banned films here .

jazsus the video shops in Burma and Malaysia must be small

jazsus the video shops in Burma and Malaysia must be small

I saw that, really strange places.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Malaysia banned 'Babe: Pig in the City (1998)' haha thats classic :pac:

Cheers patrickthomas you've given me a laugh to finish the day off on.

Cheers patrickthomas you've given me a laugh to finish the day off on.

You have given me one too, had not seen that one! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button banned in Bhutan. That's funny but I can't think why.

Freedom of speech is alive and well in Singapore and Malaysia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm glad that the Pope is digging on 9 Songs, Romance X and Baise-Moi then.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm glad that the Pope is digging on 9 Songs, Romance X and Baise-Moi then.

I just watched Baise-Moi two nights ago, very powerful movie and shot on DV with only natural light, very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Pigs are haraam in Islam.
    nitrogen wrote: »
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button banned in Bhutan. That's funny but I can't think why.

Maybe it's seen as anti-Buddhist??

I contacted the consulate in the UK asking them this question, will post when I get a reply.

(Yeah, I know, I'm nuts, but hoping if I keep it up long enough I can convince my doc to give me interesting pills)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Are those films actually banned in Vatican City?
    Did a quick google search to find any information on those three films being banned. Couldn't really find anything much. A boycott was called for The Magdeline Sisters and the da vinci code certainly.

Are there even any cinemas in Vatican City?

Of course there was all that publicity about the Vatican banning Angels and Demons from churches in Vatican city, when all they actually did was just not give them permission to film there. Just as they do with pretty much any film looking for that kind of permission.

• Advertisement

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Are those films actually banned in Vatican City?
    Did a quick google search to find any information on those three films being banned. Couldn't really find anything much. A boycott was called for The Magdeline Sisters and the da vinci code certainly.

Are there even any cinemas in Vatican City?

Of course there was all that publicity about the Vatican banning Angels and Demons from churches in Vatican city, when all they actually did was just not give them permission to film there. Just as they do with pretty much any film looking for that kind of permission.

Yes there is a cinema called Cinema Hall which as far as I can remember was restored recently, the Pope watches movies there.

As regards the banning of filming in Churches, this depends very much on content of the film being made, if it is sensitive to the values of the church then they do not allow it.

Banned/Boycott, does not really matter, just interesting to see what is considered sensitive in the Vatican.

"Keisha Castle-Hughes' new film The Nativity Story opened to praise from the Vatican at its world premiere, when the film was greeted with applause by an audience of more than 7,000 at the Vatican's Pope Paul VI auditorium."
    found this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

thats the bottom line cause the pope said so:o

say it the way stone cold does:D

Freedom of speech is alive and well in Singapore and Malaysia.

I got a reply to my mail.
    The Bhutan consulate in the UK were not aware of this and are looking into it.

Now see what you have done! started an international incident which will result in all diplomatic relations between Bhutan and the western world being broken off creating a new alliance with Russia, blame the Americans, China gets pi**ed off and the inevitable WWIII

Where is my cellar???:pac:

I had the film The curious case of Benjamin button removed from the banned list in Wikipedia as it is not banned in Bhutan.

I will check and see if the other two are banned as well and if not they will be removed as well.

I have discovered that Bhutan is a very interesting place and very modern in their thinking nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I had the film The curious case of Benjamin button removed from the banned list in Wikipedia as it is not banned in Bhutan.

I will check and see if the other two are banned as well and if not they will be removed as well.

I have discovered that Bhutan is a very interesting place and very modern in their thinking nowadays.

Gas man. Fair play for looking into that. It just goes to show we have to take wikipedia with a handful of salt.

Gas man. Fair play for looking into that. It just goes to show we have to take wikipedia with a handful of salt.

Yes and No

Wikipedia is more accurate than Encyclopaedia Britanicca and has way more information on it. The film section, apart from info. on individual films is very good but weakens as you move backwards in time and to more esoteric films.

Banned films are not high on anyones priorities, unless you are a sad git like myself.........

It is always better to get other sources on the internet to be sure.

Advertisement