Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playground games, rounders , marbles etc

Options
  • 12-08-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi could you help remember the names of kids games that were played 20+ years ago

eg. Rounders
    marbles
    releasio
    tag ( we didnt call it that - I can't remember our name for it)
    kerbs- ( hit the ball off the kerb).
    releigh

any others ?
    Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Squares - everyone gets a square on the road and its like tennis with a football
    hide and seek
    3 and in - football game
    heads and volleys - football game - can only score with heads and volleys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm pretty sure there was a game called Kick The Can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

52 Bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

- Conkers
    - Royal Rumble (everyone starts inside a marked out square in the yard - push other competitors out of the square - there can be only one).
    - Kiss Chasing
    - Nerd Toss (pretty disgusting actually)
    - Hide The Soap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

.Tip the Can
    .Bulldog
    .Manhunt
    .World Cup (football sort of game)
    .21 (football game and a brilliant one at that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Kiss chasing, I use to play this with the Girl Guides :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

5-4 - Football game
    10-9-8 - Similar to 5-4
    Hit the can - Lamposts for goals.
    IRA - People have a secret word, they are chased and then "beaten" till they relinquish that word...

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kerbs - hit the kerb with a ball, different throws/kicks/etc got more points
    Wallball - kick a ball against a wall, in a particular and ever smaller place
    Conkers - everyone knows this
    Wembley - 1 on 1, with 1 in goals

Battle of the Spirits was our best one though. Its was a fighting game on one of the small walls. Basically push the other person off. Not sure where the name came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kickball - much like baseball, or rounders. But with a very satisfying-to-kick rubber ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

murder in the dark - turn off the lights and bate each other - not sure how widespread this was - lots of bust lips ensued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Hide the sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In that same spirit: Doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Stev_o wrote: »
    .21 (football game and a brilliant one at that)

Yeah, awesome game. Headers and vollys, good times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

British Bulldog - 2 teams join hands opposite each other in a chain, and send 1 person off their team in turns to break the others chain. If they do, they get 1 of their players, if they dont, other team takes them

IRA 1 team, makes a word, gives each player a letter, other team beats the crap out of ppl till they give up the letter

Kick the Can
    World Cup
    3 and your In
    Kings and Queens
    Heads and Volleys
    Kerbs
    Rounders
    Marbles
    Conkers
    Maps
    Walls
    Queenie-I-Oh
    Slaps
    Scotch / Sick , dyin, dead and Buried
    Stuck in the Mud
    HORSE/DONKEY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Balls - a game involving a football. imagine croquet with people as the stumps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Corners - 4 players, one on each corner of a square, had to try and swap corners while a 5th player who was "on" had to run into one of the corners while it was empty...

Kick-the-can, Over-the-rock, 52-bonkers, 21, 45 (all Hide-and-seek games)

Kerb football - like normal soccer but played across a road - and you could only score by hitting the ball off their kerb (and between the posts/jumpers/whatever) - usually 1 on 1.

I remember there was a game where one player held his hands together (like praying) and the other had to slap them hard. The first guy could win by moving his hands and making the other guy win, the second could win by "faking" a slap and making the first guy move his hands... I think those were the rules, forget the name of it

"Mercy" - two players clasp each others' hands and try and each tries to hurt the other (by twisting or bending his hands) until he says "Mercy".

World Cup (also called knockout) - football game with one goalie and all players against each other - as you score you go through to the next round, last player on the field who doesn't score is out and the next round begins without him.

Knik-Knax, Knock-And-Run, Knockadolly - knock on someone's door and run away before they answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Came across this today with rules and instructions on a lot of outdoor games: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/08/simpleoutdoorplay/#more-16559

I must set up a few training courses for the local kids, they wouldn't have a clue about hardly any of these (more's the pity). Our overly protective society and crap summer weather have put paid to outdoor high jinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

2004_1_2_i.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Soggy Biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Soggy Biscuit

:( I don't know if anyone ever played this...i dont know of anyone who did...I certainly wouldnt :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

komodosp wrote: »
    I remember there was a game where one player held his hands together (like praying) and the other had to slap them hard. The first guy could win by moving his hands and making the other guy win, the second could win by "faking" a slap and making the first guy move his hands... I think those were the rules, forget the name of it

Slaps, funnily enough. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I vaugly remember murder in the dark. You'd have to have a pitch black room, like a garage or something and then just fight... That was fun.

And where are you al goign with your Tag, it was called "chasing" aptly names, as all you did was run around like mentlars chasing eachother.

Good times.

Advertisement