Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog and dog

Options
  • 12-08-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Last week we found a hedgehog in our backgarden, we don't live near any fields or anything, we live in a housing estate, so have no idea where the hedgehog came from. We have a yorkshire terrier who was in the garden at the time and went absolutely ballistic growling at the hedgehog and backing it into a corner. the hedgehog was terrified, we eventually freed him and released him up the road in a field about ten minutes from our house. But again last night the hedgehog was back- were nearly sure it was the same one as it was huge.Why would he return?We were thinking he may have babys under our shed but can't see any. We released him again inthe same place. Last night though the dog really went mental and was trying to attack the hedgehog, we were shocked, hes usually a very placid dog and is even terrified of other dogs usually. We think he may have got injured by the hedgehogs spikes as he is now limbing and constantly licking his paw.Someone said this can be dangerous for dogs is this true? If the hedgehog returns again what should we do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!Sorry for my long winded tale!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

hedgehogs carry lots of fleas and ticks so it could be that but i cant imagine the dog getting spikes caught in him, thay cant release them , unless you feed the hedgehog or there are really good worms in your garden i dont see why it would keep returning, try release it into the phoniex park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

ohanloj3,

Same thing happened in my back garden last year. My dog went mad barking at it aswell. I couldn't believe it when I saw a hedgehog in my back garden as I live in a housing estate in a town. When this happened last year I encountered the hedgehog a few times moving between the neighbour's gardens.

Not sure why it was there. Haven't seen it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hedgehogs have their own territories so don't be releasing it elsewhere.

Hedies are getting rarer these days and you are blessed to have one in your garden. They will be going into hibernation for the winter. If the dog is routinely treated for ticks/fleas than catching some from the hedgehog shouldn't be an issue.

They are nocturnal so perhaps take some care when letting the dog out for a widdle.

If you want to feed the hedgie use wet cat/dog food never use bread/milk as it will give them the runs dehydrate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hedgehogs are found in urban back gardens too and you need to leave hedgie there. As said they have their own territories plus he will eat up some of the insect nasties in your garden. If possible get a hedgehog house, some garden centers have them and put it somewhere where the dog can't get at it although that's difficult with a small dog.

You're so lucky to have a hedgie in the garden, we're in the middle of the countryside and haven't seen any in our garden since we moved years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye +1 on the releasing it just anywhere, they have their own little place and they could have a family too.

Regarding your dog, becareful letting him out at night etc. If you think there's something stuck in his paw have a look and/or go to the vet to get it checked. If it went into the pawpad grooves it mightn't be bad but left untreated might get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Hedgehogs have their own territories so don't be releasing it elsewhere.

Hedies are getting rarer these days and you are blessed to have one in your garden. They will be going into hibernation for the winter. If the dog is routinely treated for ticks/fleas than catching some from the hedgehog shouldn't be an issue.

They are nocturnal so perhaps take some care when letting the dog out for a widdle.

If you want to feed the hedgie use wet cat/dog food never use bread/milk as it will give them the runs dehydrate them.

I feel like I have to move the hedgehog cos the dog sleeps out the back in a kennel, and i swear the dog was terrifying the hedgehog, I really thought the dg was gonna hurt it. It was back again last night, but its bizarre cos I've blocked up the side enterance so it can't get in, so its a mystery how it is

Advertisement