Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Silent Assassin's Betting Blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Nice updates again!

Lampard to score in 90 mins and chelsea to win @ 12/5 looks like a decent bet to me though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Well written yeah, but it's the results that count. It's only early days yet

Ah come on, no need to be so negative, he couldn't have got off to a better start and he's clearly put a lot of thought/time into his selections.

Given the positive support you got for your tips log this seems a little spiteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

sorry if i came across as negative. fair play to him it does look good and he clearly puts alot of work into it i won't knock him for that. i'll be following with interest from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What I particularly like about the blog is that it suggests bets I would never think of. For example, the "CHELTENHAM TOWN (home) @ 11/10 (Paddy Power) to beat Bradford City" bet. I would never have considered looking at the league 2 games.

So, thanks Silent Assassin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

I'm liking this blog, bigtime! Keep it up!
    Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Really well written previews, Great work keep it up !
    funkyflea wrote: »
    Nice updates again!

Lampard to score in 90 mins and chelsea to win @ 12/5 looks like a decent bet to me though..

Thanks guys!
    Well written yeah, but it's the results that count. It's only early days yet

You're right and I made the very same point in the blog on Monday:
    So the first week is over and it’s one out of one for both the weekend bets. Although it was great to make a good start, even if I’d lost, it’s making a profit over the course of a season that counts. I won’t be getting too carried away as there WILL be variance – who’d have predicted Aston Villa’s home defeat to Wigan or Hull City coming within minutes of taking a coupon-busting point away to Chelsea?
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    What I particularly like about the blog is that it suggests bets I would never think of. For example, the "CHELTENHAM TOWN (home) @ 11/10 (Paddy Power) to beat Bradford City" bet. I would never have considered looking at the league 2 games.

So, thanks Silent Assassin!

No problem AARRRGH. I do like to mix it up a little. I often do well with tips for the Scottish Premier League (the non-Old Firm teams, as that's where the value is) but there was so much upheaval in that league during the summer (five out of the twelve clubs changed their manager) that I'm going to leave it for a few weeks until things settle down there.

• Advertisement

I might put €100 on Cheltenham Town tomorrow, which would be a larger than usual bet for me to do. But you give such a good reason to back them, I'm seriously thinking about it.

Accum for tomorrow

Coca Cola League 2 Matches Bury v Grimsby
    22-08-2009 15:00
    Win-Draw-Win
    Bury @ 8/13

Coca Cola League 2 Matches Cheltenham v Bradford
    Win-Draw-Win
    Cheltenham @ 11/10

Premier League Matches Wigan Athletic v Man Utd
    Win-Draw-Win
    Man Utd @ 8/15

Premier League Matches Man City v Wolves
    Win-Draw-Win
    Man City @ 1/3

Premier League Matches Arsenal v Portsmouth
    Win-Draw-Win
    Arsenal @ 1/5

pays bout 7/1

Man U might be dodge..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Went with your selections so heres hoping :D

Enjoying the blog. Keep it up.

I might put €100 on Cheltenham Town tomorrow, which would be a larger than usual bet for me to do. But you give such a good reason to back them, I'm seriously thinking about it.

Cheltenham certainly do look a great bet. But, in a week when Burnley have beaten Man United it just shows you anything can happen in football. Don't go losing the shirt off your back :D
    Accum for tomorrow

Coca Cola League 2 Matches Bury v Grimsby
    Win-Draw-Win
    Bury @ 8/13

Coca Cola League 2 Matches Cheltenham v Bradford
    Win-Draw-Win
    Cheltenham @ 11/10

Premier League Matches Wigan Athletic v Man Utd
    Win-Draw-Win
    Man Utd @ 8/15

Premier League Matches Man City v Wolves
    Win-Draw-Win
    Man City @ 1/3

Premier League Matches Arsenal v Portsmouth
    Win-Draw-Win
    Arsenal @ 1/5

pays bout 7/1

Man U might be dodge..

Best of luck. Hope it comes off for ya!
    T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Went with your selections so heres hoping :D

Enjoying the blog. Keep it up.

Thanks. Here's hoping they come off again this week!

Cheltenham 1 - 1 Bradford L

After 4 mins! :eek:

• Advertisement

****! Make that 3 -2 to Bradford now! Goal Frenzy going on over there!

EDIT// And were back level. :D

****! Make that 3 -2 to Bradford now! Goal Frenzy going on over there!

EDIT// And were back level. :D

This game is not good for the heart. FIVE goals in the first TWENTY mins. 3-3 at half-time. Bradford hadn't even scored a goal before this game. Crazy stuff!

This game is not good for the heart. FIVE goals in the first TWENTY mins. 3-3 at half-time. Bradford hadn't even scored a goal before this game. Crazy stuff!

Its 4 -3 Bradford now unfortunately! Come on Chel!

Cheltenham 4 - 5 Bradford

Well what can you say about that? A team that hasn't scored a goal all season goes away to an unbeaten team and scores FIVE! I would have gone for Cheltenham all day in this match. Every possible indicator pointed to a Cheltenham win. That's football I guess! :(

Never betting again!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

true, you made a fair case for it,i stuck it in an accum myself, but to be honest the lower league teams tend to lack consistancy and i would very rarely bet on them normally same with loi.

This was just one of those freak games no one could have predicted. The right call was always a Cheltenham win. Nothing you can do about the final result. Unluck, and keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

picked 10 homes to-day 9 up chelt let me for 2,000. will never put them in a docket again

Never betting again!

I feel your pain :mad:
    scruff321 wrote: »
    true, you made a fair case for it,i stuck it in an accum myself, but to be honest the lower league teams tend to lack consistancy and i would very rarely bet on them normally same with loi.

I'm also very picky when it comes to the lower league games. However, I don't think there was a better bet in English football today (at odds of evens or better anyway) than Cheltenham. Just one of those things - United lost to Burnley on Wednesday but win 5-0 today. Huddersfield scored SEVEN goals during the week but lost 1-0 today.
    This was just one of those freak games no one could have predicted. The right call was always a Cheltenham win. Nothing you can do about the final result. Unluck, and keep up the good work.

Cheers. I still can't believe it. Just hope Lampard can salvage the weekend tomorrow!
    dugger wrote: »
    picked 10 homes to-day 9 up chelt let me for 2,000. will never put them in a docket again

Ouch! Fair play on getting nine right though - that's pretty incredible! But not much consolation to you now I'm sure :(

Luckily I only put 20 on them. Unlucky though. They scored 4 goals but just wasn't enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I feel your pain :mad:

I'm also very picky when it comes to the lower league games. However, I don't think there was a better bet in English football today (at odds of evens or better anyway) than Cheltenham. Just one of those things - United lost to Burnley on Wednesday but win 5-0 today. Huddersfield scored SEVEN goals during the week but lost 1-0 today.

Cheers. I still can't believe it. Just hope Lamapard can salvage the weekend tomorrow!

Ouch! Fair play on getting nine right though - that's pretty incredible! But not much consolation to you now I'm sure :(

I quite often get 9+ teams in accus, there is always a team to bugger you up, such as chelt this wk end

sods law its called,.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i read your blog last night. interesting read, well thought out picks keep it up and good luck with the selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I like your two bets. Especially the West Ham one. Odd price for them away to Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Decent shout on MK Dons but they need to improve in midfield if they are going to be the force they were last year.

Exeter were totally dire last weekend, okay they won but the penalty was there only shot on goal. Carlisle had 15 corners to there 3 and 6 shots on target (9 off) to there 1. If it was any other team Exeter would have lost heavily. I think instead of waffling on in the 1st 2 paragraphs you should have made it clear that Exeter were absolutely appalling last week against Carlisle and if they continue to show that level of form they are destined for the drop. MK Dons havent set the world alight either in there first few games, as already said their midfield needs to improve and they need to find some stability at the back but if the same Exeter team turn up as they did last week then they are in for a long afternoon.

Good luck with your bet.

prendy wrote: »
    i read your blog last night. interesting read, well thought out picks keep it up and good luck with the selections.

Cheers mate!
    dsmythy wrote: »
    I like your two bets. Especially the West Ham one. Odd price for them away to Blackburn.

Really hoping these come off. Still in a state of shock from that Cheltenham-Bradford game :(
    Famous45 wrote: »
    Decent shout on MK Dons but they need to improve in midfield if they are going to be the force they were last year.

Exeter were totally dire last weekend, okay they won but the penalty was there only shot on goal. Carlisle had 15 corners to there 3 and 6 shots on target (9 off) to there 1. If it was any other team Exeter would have lost heavily. I think instead of waffling on in the 1st 2 paragraphs you should have made it clear that Exeter were absolutely appalling last week against Carlisle and if they continue to show that level of form they are destined for the drop. MK Dons havent set the world alight either in there first few games, as already said their midfield needs to improve and they need to find some stability at the back but if the same Exeter team turn up as they did last week then they are in for a long afternoon.

Good luck with your bet.

Thanks. You've certainly done your homework :D As I said in the blog, I found it very hard to pick one really good bet this week and MK Dons were the best I could come up with. Haven't watched any MK Dons or Exeter games so far this season so I'm just going on results and what I know of both teams. As for the waffle - a lot of people reading the blog will have a good knowledge of football but I know some people who only follow their own team and know nothing about the other leagues. That's why I like to give a bit of background info on the teams I'm selecting (who's in charge, etc). Let's hope the Dons can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

dugger wrote: »

this is where you lay on last remaining selection and come out as a winner either way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Imo i think the Blackburn vs West Ham will be a draw, pre-season at the end of the day is pre-season, West Ham are lacking striking options, Allardyce's teams are normally quite dogged and having not won yet in the league id say they'll come away with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

How can you tip up sides when you dont watch them play?, also I backed the hammers last weekend, too much pretty football with no end product, Blackburn are more direct and play with a high tempo, West Ham struggle to combat that style of play, good luck anyway.

Advertisement