Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Silent Assassin's Betting Blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

scruff321 wrote: »
    Imo i think the Blackburn vs West Ham will be a draw, pre-season at the end of the day is pre-season, West Ham are lacking striking options, Allardyce's teams are normally quite dogged and having not won yet in the league id say they'll come away with something.

I never pay much attention to pre-season unless a team has a really good/bad one but winning one game from eight is pretty poor. For Blackburn to lose both their opening games shows their pre-season form was no fluke. I don't see them being in trouble come the end of the season but they are out of form and West Ham do have a great record against them in recent years. It might be a draw but this bet is my 'cheeky punt' which involves more risk - it won't come off every week but the odds are bigger so it doesn't have to (although it would be nice if it did!).

I know it's nothing to be basing your gambling strategy on but I find it quite freaky that out of 26 Premier League games so far this season there's only been ONE draw. Don't think I'll be sticking any draws in my coupon this weekend just in case!
    How can you tip up sides when you dont watch them play?, also I backed the hammers last weekend, too much pretty football with no end product, Blackburn are more direct and play with a high tempo, West Ham struggle to combat that style of play, good luck anyway.

Thanks. MK Dons haven't had any live games on TV yet and won't do until September 14th. I've seen their goals but I've based my prediction on what I saw of them last season and their results so far this season. I did say I found it very hard to pick the bet for this week so I've gone for what I see as the best of the bunch.

I didn't fancy West Ham to win last week as Spurs are on fire at the moment. But at 1-0 up if Carlton Cole's backpass hadn't set up Defoe to score things could have been very different. I'm pretty confident of West Ham taking something at Blackburn and hopefully a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sound, do you bet in European Leagues, often some lesser names are underestimated.

Sound, do you bet in European Leagues, often some lesser names are underestimated.

Yeah, I do but I'm gonna leave them for a few weeks and see how the land lies. Hate the first few weeks of the season as teams can be so unpredictable. Had a decent bit of luck with SPL teams at home last season - the likes of Aberdeen and Motherwell with odds around Evens. But there's been so many managerial changes up there that I'm waiting a while to see how things work out.

Nice start. After one minute:

Exeter 0-1 MK Dons

Jermaine Easter Scored the goal, He used to play for Wycombe, I think he played for Northern Ireland a few times, anyone know?

• Advertisement

2-0 to mk dons

Jermaine Easter Scored the goal, He used to play for Wycombe, I think he played for Northern Ireland a few times, anyone know?

I thought it was NI aswell actually but I just looked up on wiki and it was Wales. He got a call-up that time Wycombe had a good cup run. He's got his second now anyway - happy days!

Get in! :D:D

FT: Exeter 1-2 MK Dons (7/5)

Great to get back on track with that result. However, the 'Cheeky Punt' didn't come off:

FT: Blackburn 0-0 West Ham (11/5)

I knew West Ham would get something, but a win was too much for them on the day. In profit for the weekend though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

great call!!

i had the dons in my accumy!!!

had 700 on rangers, dons, notts co and spurs!!!

would have been 4 grand better off if sven and his boys had come through!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Silent Assassin, are you in profit?

• Advertisement

great call!!

i had the dons in my accumy!!!

had 700 on rangers, dons, notts co and spurs!!!

would have been 4 grand better off if sven and his boys had come through!!! :(

Thanks. Hard luck on the acca. When I was lookimg through the leagues for my tips notts co. were on a shortlist of four or five so you weren't the only one who fancied them.
    Silent Assassin, are you in profit?

Yes, on the double-up bet I've had two winners out of three at odds of Evens and 7/5. One winner out of three on the 'Cheeky Punt' at odds of 5/2. I'll put up some kind of profit/loss chart when I'm updating the blog later.

Blog updated with last week's review and table of bets so far:

http://thesilentassassinsbetting.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

great start, am just following your double up bet so showing a profit, keep up the good work, looking forward to your next outing

Getting this in before the odds come down. This week's 'Cheeky Punt' is Denmark (h) @ 23/10 vs Portugal with Bolesports right now. Don't know why they're making Portugal such favourites for this.
    villager wrote: »
    great start, am just following your double up bet so showing a profit, keep up the good work, looking forward to your next outing

Cheers. Let's hope it lasts. I probably won't have the double-up bet written up until tomorrow but I'll try and get the team I've picked posted up here later on today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Getting this in before the odds come down. This week's 'Cheeky Punt' is Denmark (h) @ 23/10 vs Portugal with Bolesports right now. Don't know why they're making Portugal such favourites for this.

As a half-Dane I'd love to be optimistic, but seemingly (I didn't see it) Chile came to Parken and gave DK a thorough footballing lesson in their last friendly (Chile won 2-1). They are great odds though......

christeb wrote: »
    As a half-Dane I'd love to be optimistic, but seemingly (I didn't see it) Chile came to Parken and gave DK a thorough footballing lesson in their last friendly (Chile won 2-1). They are great odds though......

I take your point but you can never read too much into International friendlies. Denmark's defence was much changed from the one that started the previous qualifier (1-0 victory away to Sweden) with a different goalkeeper and only two of the back four starting. Chile's goals came in a second half in which Denmark made six substitutions to Chile's one.

I don't think Denmark are a dead cert to win against Portugal but they're in with a great chance (which I'll elaborate on in the blog later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Didn't Steve Staunton's Ireland beat Denmark 3 - 0 or something in a friendly too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i was looking at this match, Portugal have to win their next 2 match to quailfy afiak

the Danes would be happy with a draw I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Didn't Steve Staunton's Ireland beat Denmark 3 - 0 or something in a friendly too? ;)

Yep, I was in my Danish gear for that one, not much to shout about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newjellyboxer

Might be a decent punt this one. Arent Portugal toothless enough up front. Have to agree with other posters about international football being a toughy to bet on!

• Advertisement

AARRRGH wrote: »

I forgot about that one :D There's proof if you ever needed it!
    Headshot wrote: »
    i was looking at this match, Portugal have to win their next 2 match to quailfy afiak

the Danes would be happy with a draw I think

Denmark have been excellent so far defensively - five clean sheets from their six qualifiers. Hungary are Denmark's main threat to qualification right now and considering they've won away to Portugal (and Sweden) I can't see Denmark holding out for a draw at home to them. Portugal will have to attack, which will leave a lot of chances for Denmark to hit them on the break.
    Might be a decent punt this one. Arent Portugal toothless enough up front. Have to agree with other posters about international football being a toughy to bet on!

I'm definitely not as comfortable betting on internationals as club games.. but when in Rome! :) You're right about Portugal up front - they haven't scored in 3 out of the last 4 qualifiers (Albania being the exception :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newjellyboxer

Danes might be pumped up as well in tribute you to their former colleague.

Read on

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02092009/58/international-football-lightning-strike-player-loses-leg.html

Ireland chinned the Danes 4-0 away, Portugal are a good ball playing team, I fancy Portugal, but there is a lot of opposition to them on boards. I am not a big fan of International matches, there are too many micky mouse teams like San Marino, they lost 13-0 to Germany and 10-0 to Poland, it is pointless to have them playing at international level. Also since when were Israel and Khazakstan in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

I forgot about that one :D There's proof if you ever needed it!

Denmark have been excellent so far defensively - five clean sheets from their six qualifiers. Hungary are Denmark's main threat to qualification right now and considering they've won away to Portugal (and Sweden) I can't see Denmark holding out for a draw at home to them. Portugal will have to attack, which will leave a lot of chances for Denmark to hit them on the break.

I'm definitely not as comfortable betting on internationals as club games.. but when in Rome! :) You're right about Portugal up front - they haven't scored in 3 out of the last 4 qualifiers (Albania being the exception :cool:)
    S Assassin what do u make of ireland v cyprus..I think the cypriots +1 is a good thing...

villager wrote: »

Got my pick up on the blog now. Write-up to follow!

S Assassin what do u make of ireland v cyprus..I think the cypriots +1 is a good thing...

Heart says Ireland, head says Ireland (+1) but I'm gonna stay away from betting on this one as I keep changing my mind on the outcome.There's a lot of other matches on so I'll worry about them and enjoy watching the Ireland match (gambling) care-free :cool:

Just finished updating the blog. All this week's tips are now up:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

Like the bet Mr. Assassin. :)

Poland are nailed on and Leeds are a step above most things in the division now.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Like the bet Mr. Assassin. :)

Poland are nailed on and Leeds are a step above most things in the division now.

Thanks. I'm confident, but will be a lot happier once the games are over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

Took your advice and took the two teams. also added spain in. threw 500 on it to win 630. was gonna add killkenny aswell that would have paid 1100, but i decided against it, i dont like anything over a treble, one team always lets u down. we'll see how today goes first, then we might look at killkenny tomorrow lol!!

• Advertisement

Took your advice and took the two teams. also added spain in. threw 500 on it to win 630. was gonna add killkenny aswell that would have paid 1100, but i decided against it, i dont like anything over a treble, one team always lets u down. we'll see how today goes first, then we might look at killkenny tomorrow lol!!

Let's hope it comes off! Was just about to break the bad news that Leeds main striker Jermaine Beckford isn't in the squad for some reason (wasn't in the team news prior to today), but........

Leeds 1-0 Stockport (Grella 9)

Advertisement