Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless networking on Windows 2000 SP4

• 12-08-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭

I just re-installed the old harddrive into my IBM, and reinstalled the copy of Windows 2000 on it... just for ****s and giggles. Boots up and runs fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the thing to a wireless network.

I have a PCMCIA wireless card fitted... some Linksys wireless-G yoke... and I installed the driver for it, but I'm not getting any options to connect to a wireless network. It's not even looking for them There's probably some service *somewhere* I have to install..... but I don't know which one.

Network at home is WPA protected, and doesn't broadcast an SSID. Windows 2000 came from a disk slipstreamed to SP4 (Don't give me *that* look, I had a legit product key)

How do I configure this thing, when most networking options are asking for diallup, or whatever? There're no wireless options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

had to do that once, might not work on wpa

think it was in...

right click my computer
    manage
    device manager
    left click + beside network controllers
    right click your wireless adapters icon
    goto properties
    one of the tabs there allow you to type in your wifi name and key,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's not network controlley, iot's network adapter..... That's where it shows up. Give's me no option to connect to anything.

Windows 2000 doesn't have any wireless client of its own so you need to use a third party wireless client. This may involve running the installation program for the adapter (rather than updating its driver via Device Manager). Most vendors have their own software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yeah, I gathered as much.

The problem was, I couldn't install the Wireless client without IE6. And I couldn't get onto the Internet to download it, because I didn't have a LAN driver either.

I got it anyway, just had to figure out what exact driver I needed and get it off the web, there were a couple of differen LAN cards in the thing. Thank **** for Linux and LSHW. Thanks folks. It's working now.

Advertisement