Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Hot Tap Spindle in Kitchen Sink

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

The spindle beneath the tap handle on my Hot Water Pillar tap in kitchen is very loose and when water tap is turned on or up a bit it can screetch like hell, and just pressing my hand down on it, silences it.

Funny thing is that there are no leaks from the tap anywhere.

I reckon the spindle is worn, but could it be even something more simpler, like a half worn washer etc. :mad:

If it is the spindle do I need to replace the whole head gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No. On piller taps and most taps just the spidle or washer can be replaced. There is a lot of material on this. Some lads just replace the washer some lads replace the spindle.

My feeling are this is a very simple DIY job so just replace the spindle.

However .... If you cannot get the screw out of the cross heads which sometimes this is also a possibility you will have to replace the headgear....Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

No. On piller taps and most taps just the spidle or washer can be replaced. There is a lot of material on this. Some lads just replace the washer some lads replace the spindle.

My feeling are this is a very simple DIY job so just replace the spindle.

However .... If you cannot get the screw out of the cross heads which sometimes this is also a possibility you will have to replace the headgear....Sorry

ta for that, got the cross head off but finding it difficult to shift the head gear nut, even though I put wd 40 on it and left overnight, trying to hold the tap from moving with one hand and using the spanner on the nut with the other is very difficult. Will have to find some better way of holding the tap from moving.

Advertisement