Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning To Canter

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a noobie to this forum and also to riding so I'm probably way out of line even posting here :o.

I'm doing lessons and am well able to trot. I tried the canter for the first time tonight and it didn't go very well. I seemed to be at the direct opposite of the horses stride and as a result kept being thrown up out of the saddle instead of sitting.

Are there any tips to get myself in sync with the horse? Maybe it's just practice? I'm 40 years old so hopefully not too old to learn.

Learning at Stonehaven in Waterford.

Any general tips appreciated!
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

The more you do it the easier it becomes and the better you will get at it so don't worry about it! Try to concentrate on keeping your upper body sitting tall with your seat central in the saddle, heels down, head up etc..once you perfect these, your balance will improve and the canter will start to come more easy to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Amston

Good advice MDFM.

Defo with more practice you'll get it OP ;)

I used to find some horses better than others for cantering. I suppose they all have different strides, some more bumpy than others lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

It's a totally wierd sensation the first few times you do it, but soon you'll feel yourself relaxing into it. Like MDFM said, just sit up and heels down and you'l have it in no time.

When I was learning how to canter, my instructor used to get me to picture a £10 (yes it was ages ago) note between me and the saddle and when I didnt sit deep into the saddle she would shout "Oh there goes your tenner!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you work on your sitting trot that can help the canter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Don't forget ta sit back, and relax into the horse movement. Try not to stiffen up, hunch and try ta go against the way horses move.

Keep your back straight, and heels down. Your will get used to it really soon and find it as natural as walkin. Its a lot nicer than trot too. Its my fav gait in an arena. Gallop being my fav outside.

Also (most importantly) have fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Can you get a half hour lunge lesson? Half an hour's plenty as you'll not be able to hold your position for longer. If you can establish your seat at trot - ie that you can sit relaxed and not dependent on the reins - then you'll find canter comes easy.
    Good luck and enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Thanks for the all of the replies:).

I don't think I was using my heels enough or sitting up enough. It was a bit of a sensory overload at the time because it was such a jump from the trot. I'll try to relax as well.

When I was getting my first lesson the others in the group were at my stage now (first canter) and they were also getting thrown about but now they are comfortable with it.

Must say that I love it. Only regret is that I didn't learn when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

sup_dude wrote: »
    Don't forget ta sit back, and relax into the horse movement. Try not to stiffen up, hunch and try ta go against the way horses move.

Keep your back straight, and heels down. Your will get used to it really soon and find it as natural as walkin. Its a lot nicer than trot too.

I agree with the above! While you should sit straight, and as deep into the saddle as possible, to avoid being "bounced" you have to be relaxed &supple through your hips, lower back and stomach, to take the rocking movement of the canter (but without rocking your whole body :P). You do this naturally if you are relaxed in the walk. Stiffening up only goes against the movement and thats how you're bounced out of the saddle.

ems_12 wrote: »
    I agree with the above! While you should sit straight, and as deep into the saddle as possible, to avoid being "bounced" you have to be relaxed &supple through your hips, lower back and stomach, to take the rocking movement of the canter (but without rocking your whole body :P). You do this naturally if you are relaxed in the walk. Stiffening up only goes against the movement and thats how you're bounced out of the saddle.

I was definitely stiff alright. I'll be more relaxed next time because it wont be a "new" experience anymore. I'll try to be more supple as well. We were outside in a field as well but I with the weather the way it is we will most likely be inside the arena next time and it's a bit more controlled.

If I get the rhythm once I'll work out fine.....hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

:) Sounds like you have it all under control, enjoy!

• Advertisement

ems_12 wrote: »
    :) Sounds like you have it all under control, enjoy!

Thanks. Thinking it and doing it are 2 different things though.:)

Yeeees!!

Did my first real canter tonight (6 actually)! Just fell into place first time. I used all of the techniques that you provided in your posts (or at least tried to!) and it just came right. Feels absolutely fantastic!

Even did a few 2 ft jumps with the canters.

The only part that I'm still a little uncomfortable with is the few seconds between trot and canter. Feels a little like I'm not quite in control or something? I dont really feel "tight" in the saddle at that point.

Maybe I just need more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

well done.! Dont worry about the transition. It takes longer to get used to and its different for every horse, such as the canter is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's great, well done!

Don't worry too much about the transition just yet. It will take quite a bit of getting used to and, as sup dup said, it's different for each horse.

Sometimes riders can pre-empt the transition and start to tip slightly forward in the saddle, going ahead or in front of the movement rather than sitting deep in the saddle and getting that feeling of being a little behind the movement (in a controlled way rather than being unbalanced) in order to push the horse forward into a canter. Keeping your body and seat soft and flexible will also help.

Another question!

Now that I'm pretty comfortable with the canter and I'm even getting used to the transition from trotting to canter, how do I go from canter to trot?

Banged my ass a few times tonight coming back to trot after the jumps. Sore as hell!!! Big time! :o

Maybe I need to keep the horse at canter for longer after the last jump?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really value your advice. Helped me no end in learning to canter as did your encouragement. :)

Bump.

I've noticed during the canter that my foot is sometimes not secure in one or other of the stirrups. It's well inside the stirrup but slightly off the base of the stirrup.

I have a good grip on the actual horse using my lower legs but I'd be happier if my feet were also on the actual stirrups.

Am I doing something wrong? I try to get the heels down but it's like as if the stirrups are too long - but they are not.

Is that normal? I doubt it. Is there anything I need to focus on, like loosening my leg grip to ensure my feet are in the stirrup correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Bump.

I've noticed during the canter that my foot is sometimes not secure in one or other of the stirrups. It's well inside the stirrup but slightly off the base of the stirrup.

I have a good grip on the actual horse using my lower legs but I'd be happier if my feet were also on the actual stirrups.

Am I doing something wrong? I try to get the heels down but it's like as if the stirrups are too long - but they are not.

Is that normal? I doubt it. Is there anything I need to focus on, like loosening my leg grip to ensure my feet are in the stirrup correctly.

sound like u might be gripping with your knee and maybe tilting your body forward? like what was said already before, it will come with practice, so don't worry too much!
    concentrate on your upper body position, keeping your shoulders back, sitting tall but deep into the saddle, and your head high. If your upper body maintains the correct position and balance, then the lower body will start to fall into the correct place. Sit back and put the weight into your heel..push the weight into the heel, away from the knee, so that you're not gripping with your knee and your thigh is just pressed, but not gripping the horse's sides. Your outline on the horse should be such that your heel, hip, elbow and shoulder are in a straight..tilting your body forward will through out this line as will over gripping with your thigh/knee region. If your in doubt, try to watch more experienced riders or professionals - watch their position, their hands and their overall body movements, its a great way of learning and understanding how to get to where you want to get to eventually.
    good luck and have fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

my feet used bounce about in the stirrups too, it's basically yet another thing you must get comfortable with. You'll eventually be able to sit nice and deep in the saddle.

I had been riding my pony for 8 years with rarely trying other horses. In the last few days I have ridden two horses, and it's so strange getting used to anotehr horse. They're a lot more bouncy than my own, so it's almost like learning to ride again, and i'm experiencing the same thig as you, trying to sit deep in the saddle and keeping my feet securely in the stirrups. It just takes some time to get used to each horse's individual rhythm and gait.

I remember the first time I cantered, I fell off and teh horse circled me and jumped over me, which was really scary, so that put me off canter for another few weeks:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Work without stirrups even in walk will help your leg. Just make sure you open up from the hips, keep your ankles loose but preferably not at a 45 degree angle to the horses sides. Make sure you are on your seat bones.

Advertisement