Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Normal Photo sizes and ratios?

• 12-08-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

I'm still a newbie and I'm a bit confused over what are "normal" photo sizes, or even width to height ratios.

My camera seems to automatically take 2:3.
    Picasa offers 5x8, 9x13, 10x15, 13x18 and 20x25 as the defaults in the crop tool.
    But I was on stcstc's website and the sizes offered for printing are 10x8, 12x8, 16x12, 20x16 in inches
    IKEA's frames are in centimetres.
    When I last got photos printed the standard photos and frames seemed to be either 4x7 or 5x8 inches.
    And my head is wrecked.

The thing is I know my maths, so know that as ratios 20x25 and 20x16 are the exact same shape. And ditto 2:3 and 10x15. But I want to get some photos printed a decent size to give as a present, and I've no idea what sizes will work if I want to get the frames myself.

So I have 2 questions.
    What so you recommend as a default ratio on your computer?
    And what sizes do frames normally come in, and do people normally get photos printed, if they want to go bigger than 5x8?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Suggest you find your frame first at whatever size you want and then crop to the required ratio.

Ratios are ratios at the end of the day. So 3x2 = 6x4 = 12x8 = 24x16 (all of them actually being a 3x2ratio). Don't matter whether you are talking inch or cm. This is one of the "problems" with picassa, it picks your system measurement style from the regional settings and confuses the life out of everyone.

Now resizing is a different matter where inch or cm will most definitely matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ratio shouldn't really matter to much, camera will take a 4:3 or 3:2 shot, but you can crop it to which ever shape you want

you could get a particular frame then get the photo printed to match?

heres a list with various sizes (not recommending the site or anything)
    http://www.bonusprint.ie/pricing_digital_prints.htm?level=0#prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the sizes on my site are not fixed its more to give people and idea

if you have something in mind, give me a shout, i can sort frame mount and print etc

and you can come to my studio and see what it will look like before printing etc

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

If you go into a photo lab or anywhere like that, the sizes which will give a true 100% crop on your 2:3 ratio are 4x6, 6x9, 8x12 and 12x18.

Any others such as 5x7, 6x8, 8x10, 12x15 will result in some of the photo being cropped out.

Keep this in mind when printing your pics and seeing what frames are available.

Advertisement