Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Garden shed - roof leak

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

I have a 10 year old Kelly garden shed (aka Barna shed).
    Has served me well - painted at least once a year.
    However, there seems to be a leak in the roof on the Apex.
    It is a felt roof.
    Any idea's about getting the roof repaired? A strip of felt about 1 foot long by 6 inches should sort it, but what about adhesive?
    I have not checked any hardware stores etc. so I was hoping someone might have some good advise.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I had a similar problem with an old barna shed that I inherited when I bought my house. The roof felt was torn and cracked in several places and the water was getting into the shed.

I had 2 choices,:

1. Refelt the roof or

2. Use a bitumen sealer

I went with the latter option and it worked a treat. I bought Ronseal Roof sealant (in woodies) and just painted it over the existing felt and the cracks. A year on and there has been no more leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I have a 10 year old Kelly garden shed (aka Barna shed).
    Has served me well - painted at least once a year.
    However, there seems to be a leak in the roof on the Apex.
    It is a felt roof.
    Any idea's about getting the roof repaired? A strip of felt about 1 foot long by 6 inches should sort it, but what about adhesive?
    I have not checked any hardware stores etc. so I was hoping someone might have some good advise.
    Thanks in advance!

Personally I'd replace the felt - 10 yrs is about the max lifespan of felt & when it starts getting brittle, you tend to get leaks.

Providing its not a huge shed, its a cheap and easy job - the likes of woodies or B&Q sell a roll of 15yr roofing felt for about €20 & the galvanised nails are a couple of euro on top - I did my 6ft x 6ft shed in 25 minutes last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Thanks guys - food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Hi all, just finished the job, so thought I'd record the facts to help anyone else thinking about same.
    Went for the full reroof - shed about 6-8ft X 6 ft.
    Bought supplies in B&Q as follows:
    • Felt (mineral) - 8 metres - last 10 years Cost EUR23.70
    • Felt Adhesive 2.5 litres (only used 1/2 at most) EUR10.50
    • Felt Nails EUR4
    • Decent gloves (Was actually a triple pack, same pice for 1) EUR7.30
    • Brush (never to be used again) EUR2.50
    • Spare wood for plinth on front + back of shed = EUR7.30

Job took 4 hours. Included stripping off old felt (very patchy, leaking, removing old plinths, nails, etc.)
    Applying adhesive, cutting felt to length, nailing on - I had 3 strips to do.
    Then cutting plinth's to right angle, painting and hammering on.
    As we had just painted the actual shed, the whole thing looks great. Like new.
    Hope the above helps another novice like me some day!

Interestingly, a friend had a similar job done to a smaller shed in a mobile home park for EUR40 down the country. That was a good deal!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dturpin

I’m looking for some tip before I begin this task.

I also have a leaky felt roof on my barna shed, the shed is about 10 years old, the felt looks ok there are no tears or bubbles,
    Can I lay a new layer of felt on top of the existing felt or should I strip off the existing felt and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I think that I would take off the old felt and then you can see if there are any other issues with the roof. You say that the felt is not bubbled or cracked - so what is the source of your leak?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dturpin wrote: »
    I’m looking for some tip before I begin this task.

I also have a leaky felt roof on my barna shed, the shed is about 10 years old, the felt looks ok there are no tears or bubbles,
    Can I lay a new layer of felt on top of the existing felt or should I strip off the existing felt and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

Take it off and also add a some Daltex breathable roofing membrane,then apply the new roofing felt.

OR

You could go and buy a sheet of roof clading and cut it to size and put it on...thats how some companies build the roofs on their sheds now.

Non drip roof cladding.:)

Dont know if this will help anyone.but have a look at my thread about taking apart a wooden shed.

Several pictures towards the end of the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79644146

The roof section is a piece of pi55 to take apart,if you want to re-board the roof and re-line/felt it too.

Fixed a leak recently in my girlfriends fathers shed.

Samll hole in the felt and also in the wooden roof of the shed.

Cut out the small rotten part and slotted/screwed in a small square section of WPB ply.

Cut out a small piece of grey roofing felt from a spare roll with stanley knife.Piece of felt was cut slightly oversized to overlap the existing roofing felt.

Small tub of Rito Waterstop and painted it on over the WPB,painted around the edges of the new felt,then placed the new felt ontop and pressed it down and left to dry.

Watertight seal and job done.

Tech 7 is also fantastic,if you cant get Rito Waterstop.

Tech 7 and Rito Waterstop both give a watertight seal from the very second they are applied.

Both can be used out in the rain and underwater too.

Tech 7 can be used in fully stocked fish tanks/aquariams too.....(used it in my large Discus tank to fix dead wood to the botom)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Euro flex, flexie flex, a fiberglass resin system which will attach to the felt and solve your problem,

I would apply it to the whole of the ridge (apex), it is a very good product, especially for felt, apply it down 8-10 inches from the apex.

• Advertisement

Euro flex, flexie flex, a fiberglass resin system which will attach to the felt and solve your problem,

I would apply it to the whole of the ridge (apex), it is a very good product, especially for felt, apply it down 8-10 inches from the apex.

What sort of price is that stuff?

paddy147 wrote: »
    What sort of price is that stuff?

5ltrs is around €35, but it will go a long way to fix the problem, don't scrimp, you would, could get at least 5-6 more years to the top end of the roof, plus you can do it yourself.

5ltrs is around €35, but it will go a long way to fix the problem, don't scrimp, you would, could get at least 5-6 more years to the top end of the roof, plus you can do it yourself.

A roll of roofing felt for a shed is around 30 euro,and that would get you a good 3 sheds...maybe even more....and its very easy to do yourself.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    A roll of roofing felt for a shed is 30 euro,and that would get you a good 3-4 sheds...maybe even more....and its very easy to do yourself.:)

This is true, but you would be replacing like for like, the product I am talking about is, up the ladder, 15 minutes later job done, step back wait for the first big shower and smile,

you could over roof with cladding, very good system but more expensive and time, but if you know someone who sells the stuff you can get very good deals on damaged sheets,

which they are happy to get of site and you cut them to size, a lot more work but would give you, if done properly, your life time,

15 minutes and the product will probably give you 10-15 yrs, I say 5-6 not to trump it up to much,

but there are many ways to fix it, I try to look at the simplest way but the most efficient for the work, money, time.

Sounds interesting allright.

So is it an actual fibreglass roofing/covering then when cured,or is it a flexible epdm type coating like Rito Waterstop??

Advertisement