Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricted ?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi ...can anyone tell me if the remington 597 semi -auto .22 is now restricted weapon..also the remington 870 ,getting conflicting answers.cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

gunshy wrote: »
    hi ...can anyone tell me if the remington 597 semi -auto .22 is now restricted weapon..also the remington 870 ,getting conflicting answers.cheers
    Have a look here.

Everything listed is effectively not restricted (negative list)

So a semi-auto .22 rifle that holds 10 rounds or less in the mag is not restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

rrpc wrote: »
    Have a look here.

Everything listed is effectively not restricted (negative list)

So a semi-auto .22 rifle that holds 10 rounds or less in the mag is not restricted.
    thanks rrpc still in the dark over the rem 870.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

think it depends on the amount of rounds you can get into the magazine , 3 or less i think is ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

gunshy wrote: »
    thanks rrpc still in the dark over the rem 870.....
    Why in the dark? If the magazine can hold more than three or the barrel is less than 24" then it's restricted. The section below refers to unrestricted shotguns:

(b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them
    incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

f.t....you cleared that up rapidly....so most owners of semi-auto and pump action shotguns are now owners of restricted weapons ,due to there barrel length':(.never mind the amount of cartridges they hold even if that can be tweaked.

• Advertisement

Apologies - I know f - all about shotguns, but assumed that all normal shotguns would have 24"+ barrels.

It's an offence for anyone (except a firearms dealer) to have a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 24" or to shorten one so that it is less than 24" (or the metric equivalent). Here's some of the relevant legislation:

12A.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who shortens the barrel of—
    (a) a shot-gun to a length of less than 61 centimetres, or
    (b) a rifle to a length of less than 50 centimetres is guilty of an offence.
    (2) It is not an offence under subsection (1) for a registered firearms dealer to shorten the barrel of a shot-gun or rifle to a length of less than 61 or 50 centimetres respectively if the sole purpose of doing so is to replace a defective part of the barrel with a barrel of not less than 61 or 50 centimetres, as the case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

fat-tony wrote: »
    Why in the dark? If the magazine can hold more than three or the barrel is less than 24" then it's restricted. The section below refers to unrestricted shotguns:

(b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them
    incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges
    , but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;
    In a magazine fed shotgun , the "incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges" part means that the magazine must be restricted to two cartridges, which along with one in the chamber, will give the total of three necessary to keep the shotgun 'unrestricted'.

As far as I know and have seen, the vast majority of semi-auto and pump shotguns in this country have barrels longer than 24 inches. I've certainly never seen anything shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

My blaser LRS2 308 has a 5 shot mag but 24in barrel, would it still be classed as restricted firearm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

ranger4 wrote: »
    My blaser LRS2 308 has a 5 shot mag but 24in barrel, would it still be classed as restricted firearm?

I would think it is restricted!

fat-tony wrote: »

incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 griffdude

ranger4 wrote: »

"shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges,"

You can adapt or modify it to hold less than 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

griffdude wrote: »
    "shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges,"

You can adapt or modify it to hold less than 5.

An lrs2 is a rifle not a shotgun so I doubt it is restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

lads not long back from holidays and im a little confused, i have 2 shotguns a browning gold semi 28" barrel that can only hold 3 shots, a fabarm pump that holds 6 shots 26" barrel, a bolt action bruno .22 mag holds 5 ans a styer .243 that holds 4 shots. would i be correct in saying that i will have to get rid of the pump to get away with installing an alarm ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

foxhunter wrote: »
    An lrs2 is a rifle not a shotgun so I doubt it is restricted.

Oops! :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

pm. wrote: »
    lads not long back from holidays and im a little confused, i have 2 shotguns a browning gold semi 28" barrel that can only hold 3 shots, a fabarm pump that holds 6 shots 26" barrel, a bolt action bruno .22 mag holds 5 ans a styer .243 that holds 4 shots. would i be correct in saying that i will have to get rid of the pump to get away with installing an alarm ??

You could just plug it up and make it non restricted but you would still need an alarm because you would have more than 3 unrestricted firearms .
    So therefore you will need to do away with one of them to get under the radar.

foxhunter wrote: »
    You could just plug it up and make it non restricted but you would still need an alarm because you would have more than 3 unrestricted firearms .
    So therefore you will need to do away with one of them to get under the radar.

ok thanks Foxhunter think ill say bye bye to the pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pm. wrote: »

At the moment you've got four firearms. That puts you into the category of needing a safe, an alarm (not the expensive monitored one), and locks on the external doors that comply with the published standard.

You could get rid of any of those firearms to leave you with three and then you'd only need the safe - As I understand the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

so if you have a semi auto shotgun that can hold 5 but is pluged for 3 is that unrestricted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And it hasnt got an Evilll folding,detachable or telescoping stock or pistol grip.Which we all know make shotguns all the deadlier according to the Hollywood school of firearms training for politicans and police.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    It is un restricted

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And it hasnt got an Evilll folding,detachable or telescoping stock or pistol grip.Which we all know make shotguns all the deadlier according to the Hollywood school of firearms training for politicans and police.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    It is un restricted
    if you got a hogue pistol grip for say a mossberg or remi pump and commited the sacrilege of screwing it onto a holland and holland royal or best purdey, would the resultant mess be restricted ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

CZ. wrote: »
    so if you have a semi auto shotgun that can hold 5 but is pluged for 3 is that unrestricted

Well, I asked the question about my Baikal MP-153, that if I disassembled the magazine and plugged it so as to only accept 2+1 then common wisdom based on reading the restricted list blurb seemed to say it would fall into the un restricted list as it had been modified to accept three or less cartridges in total.

Whether it'll work out that way or not :D But that's how I'm proceeding with my shottie, unless something comes out in Garda guidelines telling us otherwise.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about level 3 of the secure accomodation requirements, any house alarm will do.

Monitored alarms (level 4) have to be installed by a PSA registered contractor and monitored accordingly - no self installed stuff. Insurance companies won't give you a discount on your home/theft insurance in any case unless you have an alarm installed and maintained by a registered contractor.

johngalway wrote: »
    Well, I asked the question about my Baikal MP-153, that if I disassembled the magazine and plugged it so as to only accept 2+1 then common wisdom based on reading the restricted list blurb seemed to say it would fall into the un restricted list as it had been modified to accept three or less cartridges in total.

Whether it'll work out that way or not :D But that's how I'm proceeding with my shottie, unless something comes out in Garda guidelines telling us otherwise.
    it'll probabily be the same system here as in england ,that the magazine tube has to be crimped or welded to only allow the loading of 2 cartridges .
    on the topic of monitored alarms , the gardai have already admitted that they cannot guarantee to answer an alarm call in less than an hour , at which point your firearms and other personal belongings could be a hundred miles away , an alarm is just a noise box that most people don't seem to take much notice of anymore , i'd rather get a better safe or even two safes and dismantle the guns between the two of them ,that way the thief would have to open the two of them to get the firearms . that would take far longer and be more practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rowa wrote: »
    it'll probabily be the same system here as in england ,that the magazine tube has to be crimped or welded to only allow the loading of 2 cartridges .
    on the topic of monitored alarms , the gardai have already admitted that they cannot guarantee to answer an alarm call in less than an hour , at which point your firearms and other personal belongings could be a hundred miles away , an alarm is just a noise box that most people don't seem to take much notice of anymore , i'd rather get a better safe or even two safes and dismantle the guns between the two of them ,that way the thief would have to open the two of them to get the firearms . that would take far longer and be more practical.

Excellent point !..Ive just spent two days setting up my gunsafe so that it would take a JCB to get it out-I now have more faith that it would take a thief too much time and effort to try to get it out or opened than run the risk of being caught:)

Excellent point !..Ive just spent two days setting up my gunsafe so that it would take a JCB to get it out-I now have more faith that it would take a thief too much time and effort to try to get it out or opened than run the risk of being caught:)
    do you happen to have a little mig or stick welder in the shed foxshooter ?
    i ask because what i did was to get 2 short lengths of chain that would just reach across the width of the inside of the safe , i welded them to the sides of the safe at a level that they would go through the trigger guards of the guns and thats what i do , i put the rifles in ,bolts out for another safe, and pass the chain throught the trigger guards and put a pad lock on them. total cost about 20 euro and another bit of security .
    also available cheap now is these little cctv cameras that could be mounted (hidden) close to the safe and set up to record by pir , nearly anything is better than an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rowa wrote: »
    do you happen to have a little mig or stick welder in the shed foxshooter ?
    i ask because what i did was to get 2 short lengths of chain that would just reach across the width of the inside of the safe , i welded them to the sides of the safe at a level that they would go through the trigger guards of the guns and thats what i do , i put the rifles in ,bolts out for another safe, and pass the chain throught the trigger guards and put a pad lock on them. total cost about 20 euro and another bit of security .
    also available cheap now is these little cctv cameras that could be mounted (hidden) close to the safe and set up to record by pir , nearly anything is better than an alarm.

Ive access to a mig welder so ill add the chain- good idea!-ive got my teeth into tightening up security now so any suggestions are welcome:)-Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

what about safe keys? do ye keep in the house or carry? its hard to know what to do with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ayapatrick wrote: »
    what about safe keys? do ye keep in the house or carry? its hard to know what to do with them?
    Always carry.

Never leave them in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

My father has one of these winchester modle 1897 pump trench/riot gun with a 20" barrel:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

hey guys, what is a restricted firearm?

i have a shotgun, a magnum and am about to get a .243
    i have a 5 gun 'buffalo river' safe bolted to a wall, i have an alarm on my house which is non monitored, am i covered or will i have to sell my 'rabbit buster' (magnum)?? confused.gifconfused.gif

Advertisement