Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricted ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

paddy2008 wrote: »
    My father has one of these winchester modle 1897 pump trench/riot gun with a 20" barrel:eek:

And if he ever wants to sell it,if it is a genuine Winchester,not a Norinco copy,please let me know.:)

It says BTW adapted,modified,or manufactured to three shots.Does NOT say anything about it needing to be done by a gunsmith,or how.
    So stick a hunk of dowel in it and you are okay.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And if he ever wants to sell it,if it is a genuine Winchester,not a Norinco copy,please let me know.:)

It says BTW adapted,modified,or manufactured to three shots.Does NOT say anything about it needing to be done by a gunsmith,or how.
    So stick a hunk of dowel in it and you are okay.

Aparrt from the barrel length of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apprently the genuine 1897 Winchesters were/are specifically exempt from that ruling.There is somwhere a specific paragraph on this,in our "picemeal legislation".[On that I do agree with the Rt Hon judge Charlton].And they are not a very common item anyway.
    They will be restricted due to barrel length.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apprently the genuine 1894 Winchesters were/are specifically exempt from that ruling.There is somwhere a specific paragraph on this,in our "picemeal legislation".[On that I do agree with the Rt Hon judge Charlton].And they are not a very common item anyway.
    They will be restricted due to barrel length.

1894 or 1897?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Mr Flibble wrote: »
    1894 or 1897?

Its 1897 winchester trench/riot gun. This one is a hand me down from the RIC Police force before the Garda:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

paddy2008 wrote: »
    Its 1897 winchester trench/riot gun. This one is a hand me down from the RIC Police force before the Garda:confused:

I was handling one of these last week, the RIC ones have RIC stamped on the butt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

so is the list at the start of this thread the only pistols that can be unrestricted and is it official ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

rowa wrote: »
    so is the list at the start of this thread the only pistols that can be unrestricted and is it official ?
    Not yet. SI isn't published AFAIK.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are changes, otherwise what was the point in leaking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

rrpc wrote: »
    Not yet. SI isn't published AFAIK.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are changes, otherwise what was the point in leaking it?
    its a bit stupid of the doj though rrpc seeing as i don't know if my ruger mk 3 is restricted or not , what do i put down on the reapplication forms for instance ? and the guard standing behind the counter in the station sure as hell won't know .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

"(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;"

does this mean you don't need a permit for a rimfire moderator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

ormondprop wrote: »
    "(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;"

does this mean you don't need a permit for a rimfire moderator?
    No - you still need an authorisation for a moderator. It's just that the current SI does not place rimfire moderators in the restricted category (although centre-fire moderators are restricted, whereas the firearm might not be). There has been some debate as to whether the new SI will remove this anomaly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭friedcircuits

hey is a cz .22lr restricted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What kind of CZ friedcircuits?
    (Though for most of them, the answer is no).

hey its cz zkm 452 m 2e .22lr chromed (sorry thats whats printed on the deposit note!) also they issued me with an old cert what do i do? thanks

No, that's not restricted.
    I'm not sure what's going on with that cert of yours though :D
    Calling up the FPU would be a good idea - but if you've been issued with a cert already, it's hard to see how you'd be refused!

thanks whats the FPU?

The Firearms Policy Unit. Their phone number's on the firearms cert application form.

Thanks for the help! One last question is that FPU number a Dublin number and a FO answers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'm responding to the poster on another thread, suggesting he verifies with his local station that he's ok to proceed with the rifle purchase. I reckon it's just creative use of the old licensing system in the hiatus we're in at the moment and providing a good customer service;)
    If the FPU get involved it might lead to a drawn-out process where the OP doesn't get a licence for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

The way I see this he has a licence already so he's all approved and all that. Maybe the easiest thing to do is for the longest extension (end June 2010) to be issued to him and then to come into the new system at that point. The only concern now would be that he gets totally left out of the new system because he's not got an official cert. There is also the point that one year certs no longer exist in law but who would prosecute? If it was me I'd rather get get it straightened out though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement