Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrous ntl 10Mb as a stand alone product?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just tried to order the Chrous ntl 10Mb product by itself, and a screen then appears saying that i have to get a digital tv subscription with chorus as well in order to get BB. Is this for real? i already have Sky and want to keep it.
    Can you get chorus BB by itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes you can, but you pay an extra €6. For example I have 20Mb by itself which is €42, but I pay €48 because I don't have tv etc. It's an incentive to get more than one product.

Pay it. It's the best connection on offer tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

It says right at the end that a engineer has to come around my house. What exactly does this involve?

He'll install the modem (and router if you're getting one - I think for the 20Mb package it comes free, but it's useless - reset itself after a week and now after 18 months it's given up the ghost completely) from the wall and use a corded connection to a PC or laptop to do the initial setup for you.

Takes max. 20mins, presuming he doesn't have to run any extra cables anywhere (for which he'd charge you anyway). NTL BB uses the cable TV output and sometimes, like in my house, this only works at the primary socket and not at the tv points in bedrooms etc where the signal is weaker.

sdonn wrote: »

Takes max. 20mins, presuming he doesn't have to run any extra cables anywhere (for which he'd charge you anyway). NTL BB uses the cable TV output and sometimes, like in my house, this only works at the primary socket and not at the tv points in bedrooms etc where the signal is weaker.

The primary cable tv output? I have Sky..does this interfere with Sky? Will these cables then connect to the tv?

Also my main computer is on the second floor in my bedroom..can cables not go upstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    The primary cable tv output? I have Sky..does this interfere with Sky? Will these cables then connect to the tv?

Also my main computer is on the second floor in my bedroom..can cables not go upstairs?
    He can run a new cable to the point were your PC is, if you have no existing wiring in the house. It doesn't have to connect to your TV and it won't interfere with your Sky connection.Do you have cables running on the exterior of your home or it the upc cable network underground

• Advertisement

DingDong wrote: »
    He can run a new cable to the point were your PC is, if you have no existing wiring in the house. Do you have cables running on the exterior of your home or it the upc cable network underground

Eh to be honest i do have some cables on my roof already..but i'm not sure if they connect to my skybox...

Internally inside the house i have old lines that used to be for eircom dial up...i dont use eircom dial up anymore but the lines are still there

Does the engineer install a dish/device of some sort on my roof?

No nothing installed on your roof. Don't think you understood what I was asking is the upc network running from house to house along the fascia in your area?. How old is the house?. The eircom phone line is no use to you, They use coax cable. If its a newer house the builder usually run coax around the house and block it off with a blanking plate behind the walls so no new cables will be needed .

Eh to be honest i do have some cables on my roof already..but i'm not sure if they connect to my skybox...

Internally inside the house i have old lines that used to be for eircom dial up...i dont use eircom dial up anymore but the lines are still there

Does the engineer install a dish/device of some sort on my roof?

Nope, everything comes through the TV socket.

The only reason he'll need to run a cable for you is because the signal test fails upstairs, the signals can e weak on old cable or some such. In my house, we were told the upstairs socket didn't work and running a cable wouldn't either (or it wasn;t worth the hassle, but im pretty sure he said it wouldn't work). I settled for it to stay downstairs as the wireless router was included, alas it was never a great router so we have 25feet of CAT5 cable hanging down the stairs permanently 'till I can persuade my uncle to do the permanent wiring for free ;)

No nothing installed on your roof. Don't think you understood what I was asking is the upc network running from house to house along the fascia in your area?. How old is the house?. The eircom phone line is no use to you, They use coax cable. If its a newer house the builder usually run coax around the house and block it off with a blanking plate behind the walls so no new cables will be needed .

The house was built in the 1970's. Upc network running from house to house? Ok I'm totally lost now..are there suppose to be wires behind my walls?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is there a white box anywhere in your home, with an aerial point on it and one of the following written on it: Chorus, NTL, Cablelink, RTE Relays, etc.

If not and assuming that UPC cable runs near to your house, then they would need to run a new cable into your house.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Is there a white box anywhere in your home, with an aerial point on it and one of the following written on it: Chorus, NTL, Cablelink, RTE Relays, etc.

If not and assuming that UPC cable runs near to your house, then they would need to run a new cable into your house.

A white box in my house..no i don't have one of these..will it cost extra to get this installed? What is this white box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

A white box in my house..no i don't have one of these..will it cost extra to get this installed? What is this white box?

Are you sure that even the UPC (NTL) TV service is available in your area? If it isn't then you won't be able to get their broadband service either.

Also it may not be possible to get broadband even if the TV service is in your area.

Best bet is to phone UPC to check and then order it.

What will happen if you have no internal wiring, is they will run in a new cable from the tap (this a little box usually between you and your neighbour) to the room you want service in. It won't cost you anything extra as its a new install.

What will happen if you have no internal wiring, is they will run in a new cable from the tap (this a little box usually between you and your neighbour) to the room you want service in. It won't cost you anything extra as its a new install.

I was never offered that!

Stupid UPC, I'll be complaining if that's true.

It says in availability checker in the upc website that i can get it in my area..will ring tomorrow to confirm...

On a slightly different note does know if the wireless router they provide has WPA? and what brand is the router? Netgear?

It says in availability checker in the upc website that i can get it in my area..will ring tomorrow to confirm...

On a slightly different note does know if the wireless router they provide has WPA? and what brand is the router? Netgear?

Yes and Yes. While it works. ;)

Yes and Yes. While it works. ;)

What do you mean while it works? is the modem upc provides really ****?

What do you mean while it works? is the modem upc provides really ****?
    He'll install the modem (and router if you're getting one - I think for the 20Mb package it comes free, but it's useless - reset itself after a week and now after 18 months it's given up the ghost completely)

;)

So what modems are good for upcs usage?

So what modems are good for upcs usage?

You can only use the modem provided by upc. I take it sdonn had the netgear router as thats what was given out last year. I never had a problem with mine though.. If you order the 10Mb you will get the cisco modem and wireless router in one .

• Advertisement

You can only use the modem provided by upc. I take it sdonn had the netgear router as thats what was given out last year. I never had a problem with mine though.. If you order the 10Mb you will get the cisco modem and wireless router in one .

Is this modem ok for downloading things via wireless? My main computer is on the second floor and i dont know if the engineer will fit the wires to up there..

I haven't actually used the new cisco modem/wireless router yet but it should work perfectly fine. The installer should run the cable to the upstairs no problem for you though. He will run the cable on the exterior of the house drill a hole through the wall into the room and fit an outlet box which he then connect to the modem.

Don't confuse a modem with a router. Some are modem/routers that do both, I got a Scientific Atlanta Modem and Netgear WGR router.

I haven't actually used the new cisco modem/wireless router yet but it should work perfectly fine. The installer should run the cable to the upstairs no problem for you though. He will run the cable on the exterior of the house drill a hole through the wall into the room and fit an outlet box which he then connect to the modem.

Sounds like the installation process could get messy...does the room with the box then have a bunch of wires all about?

Sounds like the installation process could get messy...does the room with the box then have a bunch of wires all about?
    It sounds worse than it is.The only other wire is the one from the outlet box to your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Nope, everything comes through the TV socket.

The only reason he'll need to run a cable for you is because the signal test fails upstairs, the signals can e weak on old cable or some such. In my house, we were told the upstairs socket didn't work and running a cable wouldn't either (or it wasn;t worth the hassle, but im pretty sure he said it wouldn't work). I settled for it to stay downstairs as the wireless router was included, alas it was never a great router so we have 25feet of CAT5 cable hanging down the stairs permanently 'till I can persuade my uncle to do the permanent wiring for free ;)

I have the same issue, ive got box in the sitting room and the there is also a connection wired in the bedroom for tv but im not getting a signal. The guy said hed come back and fix it up on the QT so the analogue channels would come into my bedroom but he never returned. Is there something i can do myself to make it work.

Or is it possible to send the signal wirelessly or something to the bedroom, its an apartment so its only about 15 foot away at the most but i cant drill holes in the wall unfortunately

Advertisement