Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Desert Island Discs

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

1. Arvo Part: Spiegel im Spiegel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_JiB4N-0Ro
    This song has found me by chance too often to be a coincedence. When something's happening in life this song is always around the corner, looking.

2. Gill Scott Heron: The revolution will not be telvised.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p43YYovonS0
    Because a seldom free Saturday morning starting with a glass of wine and half spliff wouldn't be the same without this in the background. It has just enough going on as a tune to set you up for a day.

3. Noir Desir: Le vent nous portera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkXK6rxt4c
    One of the sexiest tunes. Puts me in Paris when I need to be there. Perfect transport music.

4. Erik Satie: Gnossiennes 1.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFhsG8Ip4E
    A tune that has stayed with me from childhood. It allows the brain to fill in a lot of blanks with regards to the tune. A good musical crossword to have on a island.

5. Gene Autry: Jingle, jangle, jingle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSZGXk92So.
    I love singing it.

6. Ronald Binge: Sailing By.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwK91CiZDGE
    I've always wanted to do something lyrically with this tune so a desert island could be just the place.

7. Talkingheads: Life during wartime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzORu1dqEE0
    Makes me dance like a drunk uncle.

8. Otway and Barrett: Really free.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYOZyNocrw
    I'd have to have my party piece in case there was going to be visitors.

Book; JK Toole's Confederacy of Dunces.
    Luxury item; Wine.
    Definative song; Satie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Mine would be:

1. Blister by Our Lady Peace - One of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. The ethereal instrumentation and lead singer's Raine Maida's haunting vocals, coupled with lyrics I've always been able to easily identify with, makes it my number 1 choice.

2. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins - Just an absolutely brilliant pop song, that takes you back to better days in the past. Loved it as soon as I heard it back in 1995. Also has such a great beat to it.

3. Imagine by John Lennon - A message that's way ahead of it's time, and probably (unfortunately) always will be. Fantastic song from start to finish, with great lyrics IMO.

4. End Over End by Foo Fighters - Awesome song both lyrically and musically. Grohl's a genius, and this song is about rebirth or life after death. Love it.

5. Oh, Me by Nirvana - Of course the song which can be found on their album "Unplugged in New York". I believe it's a cover of another band, but not sure who's song it may've originally been. Anyway, love Kurt's singing on this one, easily my favourite off the disc and one of my favourite's ever.

6. Redundant by Green Day - The explanation of many peoples' lives. Hope through the monotony. Great stuff.

7. Amazed by Offspring - Kind of an epic type song for the band I think. As profound a song as one can be by The Offspring. A song about changing, something of which I've gone through a lot the past few years.

8. Unforgiven III by Metallica - A pirate-like sounding gem of a song with lyrics I can relate to, but more from my Brother's perspective. I love all the Unforgiven songs by 'Tallica, but this is their best I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

1. Queen - The Millionaire Waltz. Freddie at his most majestic, imperious, regal, bombastic and pompous best. Queen at their finest.

2. Red Box - Heart of the Sun. The perfect 80's pop song. From a massively underrated band who made the most amazing use of percussion. From the album 'The Circle & The Square' which was recently re-released on C.D.

3. Queen - Save Me. I saw this song performed live at the R.D.S. in 1979. It was the first time the song was performed live and has always remained a favourite of mine. The eight second guitar solo at 2.37 and the ten second solo at 3.00 both convey despair and anger in equal measure.

4. Radiohead - High and Dry. Communicates lost love to an absolute tee.

5. Rush - The Camera Eye. I love this band and if I have only eight songs I need a long one. This one comes in at eleven minutes. Musical craftsmen at their musical peak.

6. U.2. - Bad. The version from 'Wide Awake in America'. My favourite U.2. song. As Scien mentioned the definitive version is from Live Aid. I was there that day working on a summer internship with Harvey Goldsmiths production company. I was in heavan as the two best bands that day were Queen and U.2.

7. The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps. My favourite Beatles track. Written by George Harrison it shows what a pleasant,gentle soul George was.

8. Elbow - One Day Like This. From 'The Seldom Seen Kid Live at Abbey Road' C.D. Not much to say about this song. Once again musical perfection by five guys loving everyday that they can play music.

Book - Giovanni Guareschi 'The World of Don Camillo'
    Luxury Item - Hoegaarden Beer
    Definitive Song - Queen The Millionaire Waltz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1: The Pogues- Transmetropolitan

No other song has ever matched the energy of that one for me. Captures the occasional madness of life.

From a 5 pound bet in william hills
    To a soho sex-shop dream
    From a fried egg in valtaros
    To a tottenham court road ice cream

2: The Clash- English Civil War

More than fitting track to follow up The Pogues with, now isn't it? The Clash mean the world to me.

3: Malvina Reynolds- If Peacetime Came

Beyond Little Boxes, Malvina is so tragically forgotten. You can see the roots of singers like Regina Spektor in her music.

If peacetime came,
    and we all got poor
    We'd be so much richer
    than we ever were.....

A voice some people never take to, but a spirit you'll fall in love with.

4: Regina Spektor- Voice Of Corporate Future

It reminds me alot of the last song I suppose, hard not to <3 Regina :o

5:Animal Collective- My Girls

What the hell are Adobe Slabs?

Is it the catchiest song on my Mp3 player? play-count says so.

6: Black Flag- Rise Above

This song is me aged 14-well,now.

7: The Shangri-Las- Give Us Your Blessing

The best pop band of all time, bar none. Similar end to Leader Of The Pack sadly.

8:Ronnie Drew- If Ever You Go To Dublin Town

If I ever miss Baggot Street ;)

Book: The Best Of Myles- Flann O' Brien/Myles na Gopaleen.
    Luxury Item: A Pint Of Plain Is Yer Only Man ;)
    Def. Song: Black Flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

1.Mad World - Gary Jules
    Far better than its original version. Bit bleak for being stuck on a desert island but sure.

2. Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Once again better than NiN version, the man does dark well.

3. Invincible - Muse
    Nice cheerful song to get you by on the bad days of being stuck on an island. :D

4. Dog Days Are Over- Florence and the Machine

One of my favourite songs at the moment but would probably be sick of it at the end of the stint.

5. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
    Could always scare off threatening natives with the intro for it.

6. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
    The best story i've ever heard in a song, you can just listen to it all over and over again. Can't beat bob either.

7. Sympathy For the Devil - The Rolling Stones
    Love the stones so would have to have them there somewhere. They Got labeled as satan worshippers at one stage according to wiki.

8. Parade City - Guns N' Roses
    From their first and best album, not a major fan of them but it was a great album.

Will have to listen to all of them now.

Luxury Item: Absinthe (Not very nice but should make life enjoyable)
    Book: The Stand - Stephen King (Plenty to read so i'd have plenty to read)
    Definitive Song: Hurricane

Does each day on the island begin like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

Nice thread, Scien.

Caroline Says II – Lou Reed. “Caroline says while biting her lip/Life is meant to be more than this and this is a bum trip” Berlin is a firm favourite album of mine. Describe it and all its songs in one word? Raw. I loved Stephanie Says by the Velvet Underground and this song by Lou borrows on the song and really throws it in your face. Hopelessness. Those quoted lines really get me though. Life *is* meant to be more than this. We should do what we can while we’re here to make this a better place as cheesy as that might sound.

Men of Good Fortune – Lou Reed. “It takes money to make money they say/Look at the Fords but didn’t they start that way” Also from Berlin. Great lyrics. The bass is played like a lead instrument in this song. Great stuff.

The Birds in Your Garden – Pulp. It’s not the dancey Pulp of the mid 90s but a more acoustic organic 21st century Pulp when Jarvis seemed to develop an interest in the country side. I’ve always loved a healthy dose of synths though. Never mind, Candida is on fine form again on this tune. I love the keyboard sound at the start of the tune. It comes in after the guitar intro. I first heard this song when they did it live on Jools in 2001. I was so happy that my childhood idols were back and this time I was an adolescent and fully understood all the lyrics. “and I guess I never realised that I would ever meet birds as beautiful as these” Pulp always bring a smile to my face and a flutter to my heart.

Station to Station – David Bowie. “It’s not the side effects of the cocaine/I’m thinking that it must be love” Makes me smile. He was wild. A 10 minute whirlwind. It goes through a few changes. Genius.

King’s Lead Hat – Brian Eno. Eno is a clever innovative musician and of course worked very well with Bowie. Great song. To be played at max volume.

Stay Beautiful – The Manic Street Preachers. “Don’t wanna see your face/Don’t wanna hear your words/Why don’t you just…” Nothing like a blast of the Manics for your anger. Shout along and get it all out of your system.

Teenage Wildlife – David Bowie. Great lyrics. The guitar on this song by Fripp is probably my favourite piece of guitar work. Love Bowie’s vocals on this. Tends to skip the letter ‘r’ in his pronounciation on this song.

Tongue – R.E.M. Ah 1995. When I was young enough to believe I could be and do anything. Fond childhood memories of hanging around the pub and playing this on the jukebox, playing some pool or swinging on the chain railings by the canal. 25p Virgin cola cans. Love Stipe’s vocals. Love the music. “Anybody can get laid” True. Who can find love though?

Song? Station to Station.
    Luxury? A flask full of tea!
    Book? Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Great thread Scien.

I shall scuttle off to my cds and muse this over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

1. Pigs. Floyd, getting my monies worth, just a great song, the synth work the guitars, from my fav Floyd album "Animals"
    2. Billie Jean, MJ, perfect mix of R&B, Pop, Soul, 1982 song that is crystal clear today
    3. High & Dry, Radiohead, best song from the best album from the best group of the last x years
    4. Enjoy the silence, Depeche Mode, one of Martin's best, a slow song that Alan Wilder mixed from a slow song to the genius we know on the sly
    5. Hey Jude, about the longest Beatles song I could sneak in, just love songs that start off slow and gear up
    6. Smooth Criminal, MJ, never heard anything like it before or since
    7. Don't you want me, Human League, the album "Dare" was ahead of it's time, a complete album of great songs, pisses me of the quality is so **** though
    8. Lady in my life, MJ, the song that closes the perfect album, so often forgotten is was his vocals

Book, Lord of the Rings of course, what else?
    Song, Billie Jean because it's perfect
    Luxury, Time machine to save John and Michael

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bumpworthy surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

humberklog wrote: »
    1. Arvo Part: Spiegel im Spiegel.

2. Gill Scott Heron: The revolution will not be telvised.

Two of my favourite songs as well as Satie and my favourite talking heads track good choices there.

I'll mull it over and stick up some songs later.

luxury item would def be a football though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

1. Up In The Air - Husker Du. Could have chosen 10 other Husker songs and would have been happy. This one has one of the best choruses ever.

2. 1970 - The Stooges. One of the coolest, catchiest songs ever recorded.

3. Parry The Wind High, Low - Frank Black. Some great vocals, guitars and lyrics. The ending is also amazing.

4. Nothingman - Pearl Jam. Probably my favourite Pearl Jam at the minute.

5. Bargain - The Who.

6. Make You Feel My Love - Bob Dylan. Probably could do with a more gentle tune after all the rockers above. As one of BD's best this will suit.

7. The Happening - Pixies. See everything I wrote for Parry.

8. Rock & Roll - The Velvet Underground. On first hearing this song it became my favourite there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I started to do mine and as soon as I had 8 songs picked I realised I wanted to start changing them - will porbably post around Christmas at this rate. :D
    Scien wrote: »
    Its only been 6 days since i started this but i want to change 4 songs already! :)

1 Substitution: Bedshaped for Manfred Manns Earth Band - Blinded By the Light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

1. Martha - Tom Waits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQNp2otbSvQ (Not linking it to my vid to be vain, can't find Waits' one online)
    This song will forever stay with me. I first heard it in English in sixth year when our teacher gave us the lyrics as a poem to study and answer on and me being the curious git I am I dug out a copy. Since then barely a day has gone by that I haven't listened to it, just a beautiful piece of music.

2. Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aRhqVWUPPs
    The Boss at his best, and at the start of his career no less! After hearing this live last year I could've died happy no problem, a modern day symphony.

3. The Reel In The Flickering Light - Christy Moore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWDStK5Mni0&feature=related
    Mostly from listening to it all through my childhood, this song always evokes fond memories in me and I don't know to this day why nobody has thought to make some sort of animated accompanying video for the vivid imagery in the song.

4. Rebel Rebel (2004 Version) - David Bowie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7T7IuZ2LzQ
    Well I'm gonna need something a bit lively aren't I? Nothing better than this, one of the simplest yet coolest rock songs ever written.

5. Dream River - The Mavericks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQIh7-IgtKo
    One of the finest vocal performances to be heard, first heard it on Kenny Live of all places!

6. Silence - Niels Van Gogh Remix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBG5swWBnsE
    Had to get a dance track in there somewhere, love this update of the classic Silence.

7. Tenderness On The Block - Freddie White
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8mN0q0-xhg (My version again, no Freddie on YouTube)
    Great cover of the Warren Zevon/Jackson Browne track which unfortunately is not very well known, just like Freddie.

8. Read My Mind - The Killers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oec8RuwVVs&feature=fvst
    Brandon Flowers claims Sam's Town was heavily Springsteen influenced, the incredible build up to the amazing crescendo of this track is proof enough of that!

Book: Wild Years: The Music and Myth of Tom Waits by Jay S. Jacobs
    Luxury Item: My memory foam pillow!
    Essential Track: Martha

Advertisement