Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbil/Red Lice/Consumer rights...

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Today I bought a 2mth old gerbil from a pet shop in Dublin to keep company another I bought down the country a week previous. He looked healthy and bright eyed in the shop, but when I got home I found that the little critter is covered with red lice. I've discovered online since that these are blood lice and need to be treated by a vet.
    Whilst I wouldn't have any animal suffer, I'm angry because it's money I can ill afford, as I now have to treat two animals. This little fella was also in a group of about 4 others in a cage, in this shop, meaning they also are infested. (There are about 15 other gerbils, not to mention hamsters rabbits etc)
    I am lucky, as this new lad gets on with the other (previously healthy) gerbil, who is a bit cranky, so I'd be reluctant to give him back. Besides it's not his fault that he wasn't kept clean.
    Any ideas on what to do, or should i approach the shop?
    I'm soooo angry!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would approach the shop - because a) I'd be as annoyed as you are, for these poor animals being infested and b) for sellingi them in this condition.
    You don't have to give the little chap back but I'd have a very strong word with them about it and about selling animals that will need medical treatment.

Advertisement