Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Atheism bad for your mental health?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Zillah wrote: »
    I genuinely find it hard to imagine a universe more terrible than one ruled by jehovah.

Do you really want me to answer that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In times of crises, I just turn to the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Seriously, as a Buddhist (i.e. atheist) I get a lot of solace in Karma and that if my actions are good, kind and considerate, then that's all I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yeah, I really never understood the comfort people take from having a purpose assigned to you by God.

It is like going to the college you parents want you to go to, marrying the person your parents want you to marry, getting the job your parents want you to get.

Most people would recoil in horror at such an idea, but some religious people seem to take comfort from their existence being decide for them.

Ah, so atheism is more about pursuit of personal autonomy than about seeking the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

CDfm wrote: »
    Do you really want me to answer that:rolleyes:

Yeah... In fairness I can think of worse universes but I get what he means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Húrin wrote: »
    Ah, so atheism is more about pursuit of personal autonomy than about seeking the truth.

Damn it, you caught us out! We knew we were wrong all along, just didn't want to admit it....after all, only a fool would decide there is no god, and then decide to pursue a life that wasn't bound by the fabricated laws set down by him (as opposed to the other way around).

Or more precisely, by the fabricated laws set down by people claiming to know his will.

Seriously, do you really think so little of us? Atheism isn't about seeking anything, it is merely the state of not believing in mysticism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement