Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or the scope

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I'm new to target shooting, I'm using a Gamo .22 break barrel and a AGS scope. As I'm new to this I find I'm adjusting the scope most times I'm out with it. I just use 3" 2" and 1" targets on a sheet of ply as my targets, ranging from 15 to about 30yrds.

I'm guessing I haven't zeroed the scope fully as I'm often adjusting it slightly mostly on the windage. Anyway I went to use it tonight the crosshairs on the scope were positioned as more of an x than a +, if that makes sense.

I played around with the mount and the adjusters. However, it also seemed to change around itself. Is this possible or am I just making some form of basic mistake? Its like the cross hairs were moving around within the scope, not that I seen this happen but I noticed changes without me doing anything. Can anyone advise me around this? If the above makes sense that is. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

maybe the mounts arent tightened fully on the scope and is moving round to give the "x"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sorry I should have stated that when I noticed it first I loosened the mounts without checking to see if the moved, but if I do that and set the crosshairs at + the adjusters on the scope at the at an x.

I ended up contantly at the mounts and the adjusters tonight, had to stop due to dusk. I had it back but it went again:( Whereas I only adjusted the hight, windage and mounts I didn't try to take the scope apart or anything thing, but the crosshairs do appear to me to be moving.

I can't make much sense of it!

jays im afraid im lost aswel, cant picture it.
    if i get what your sayin is when you have the crosshairs level "+" the adjustments turrets are not at 12oclock and 3oclock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds like your scope is broken, unfortunately. :(

Springer/piston type airguns like yours put peculiar stresses into scopes, with recoil going both forwards and backwards during the firing cycle, unlike cartridge firearms which only recoil backwards, and certain other types of airgun which have no recoil at all.

Using a scope not made for use on a springer/piston on such a gun will often damage the internals of the scope, as sounds like has happened to yours.

More info here:
    http://www.straightshooters.com/documents/choosingascope.html

ayapatrick wrote: »
    jays im afraid im lost aswel, cant picture it.
    if i get what your sayin is when you have the crosshairs level "+" the adjustments turrets are not at 12oclock and 3oclock?

That's spot on, I used the gun earlier today, came home as I had somebody in the house doing some work, after they left I decided to pop out for another hour that's when I noticed the problem.

I had cleaned it in between, but the gun was in its case and wasn't dropped or banged against anything:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

to answer your initial question
    it could well be the scope

Odysseus wrote: »
    That's spot on, I used the gun earlier today, came home as I had somebody in the house doing some work, after they left I decided to pop out for another hour that's when I noticed the problem.

I had cleaned it in between, but the gun was in its case and wasn't dropped or banged against anything:(

as rovi said it must be broke.

Rovi wrote: »
    Sounds like your scope is broken, unfortunately. :(

Springer/piston type airguns like yours put peculiar stresses into scopes, with recoil going both forwards and backwards during the firing cycle, unlike cartridge firearms which only recoil backwards, and certain other types of airgun which have no recoil at all.

Using a scope not made for use on a springer/piston on such a gun will often damage the internals of the scope, as sounds like has happened to yours.

More info here:
    http://www.straightshooters.com/documents/choosingascope.html

Bummer I was hoping it was me, the scope I'm using is for air-guns and was recommended by the dealer, I will have to check out further info. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Odysseus wrote: »
    Bummer I was hoping it was me, the scope I'm using is for air-guns and was recommended by the dealer, I will have to check out further info. Cheers.
    In that case, you probably have a decent basis for a warranty claim, unless of course the scope is old enough to be out of warranty or has obvious evidence on it of rough handling or external damage.

Certainly, if the reticle is at a different angle to the turrets, it's broken.

Rovi wrote: »
    In that case, you probably have a decent basis for a warranty claim, unless of course the scope is old enough to be out of warranty or has obvious evidence on it of rough handling or external damage.

Certainly, if the reticle is at a different angle to the turrets, it's broken.

Cheers, I get on to that tomorrow, the scope is only a month old, I have only gone through about 2,000 pellets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Springer airguns are said to be very hard on scopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

i had this proplem when i had a break barrel but it was the barrel that was the prob, it would get lose after i'd fire alot of rounds, there was a star head type bolt holding the barrel to the main body of the gun you would remove a retaining nut, turn the star type bolt tighting the barrel ( this stops lose movement) put the retaining nut back in to stop the star type going lose again.,,,,,,,,,,, it's a way of keeping the break barrel aera nice and tight no movment.
    Your gun might have a lose barrel waving around only a small bit but will never be on target...... my 2 cents ..... i'd an AirArms...

i had this proplem when i had a break barrel but it was the barrel that was the prob, it would get lose after i'd fire alot of rounds, there was a star head type bolt holding the barrel to the main body of the gun you would remove a retaining nut, turn the star type bolt tighting the barrel ( this stops lose movement) put the retaining nut back in to stop the star type going lose again.,,,,,,,,,,, it's a way of keeping the break barrel aera nice and tight no movment.
    Your gun might have a lose barrel waving around only a small bit but will never be on target...... my 2 cents ..... i'd an AirArms...

Cheers thanks for that Tackleberry, I was on to the shop if I pop down with it he have a look at it for me, and hopefully I can get it sorted from there. I'm off work so I heading out with the gun shortly, I'll take the scope off and just use the iron sights today, that might give me a sense if its the barrel as you suggested. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

You can nearly be sure that the scope is kaput.. springers EAT scopes not specified for spring powered air rifles.

Also make sure you are not resting the rifle on anything solid when you zero it.. you have to either hold it and allow for the recoils or rest it onto a few pillows etc, the rifle must be able to recoil.. if not then the scope will take serious internal hammering!

some great inter-active training/demos for air rifles here... http://www.arld1.com/
    esp.. here.. http://www.arld1.com/scopemountingsetting.html

good luck with the warranty!

flanum wrote: »
    You can nearly be sure that the scope is kaput.. springers EAT scopes not specified for spring powered air rifles.

Also make sure you are not resting the rifle on anything solid when you zero it.. you have to either hold it and allow for the recoils or rest it onto a few pillows etc, the rifle must be able to recoil.. if not then the scope will take serious internal hammering!

some great inter-active training/demos for air rifles here... http://www.arld1.com/
    esp.. here.. http://www.arld1.com/scopemountingsetting.html

good luck with the warranty!

Cheers Flanum,

Thank for those links, I think the mounts may have been a tad loose and I didn't tighten them evenly on each side. I don't know if that explains it, but I have the cross hairs back the way the should be after following those guidelines on that link.

So I'll try it out again tomorrow and see what happens after I put a good few shots through it. Any suggestions on what distance I should aim to zero it at?

Edit:

It an AGS Air Gun Scope Sapphire Duplex, it this type recommended for springers?

id say it should be grand for springers, going by the reviews etc... i just got rid of a gamo vipermax springer and moved over to an air-airms pcp s410 xtra fac. no recoil.... excellent bunny basher so far...

i used to zero the scope on the springer at 30 yds.... i made up a kind of bi-pole shooting stick.. 2 sticks pivoted in the centre and a bit of cloth (2 socks) tied to the upper ends, it was just the right height for sitting/kneeling... gave very steady hold, but still had the "give" in recoil!

now of course with the pcp, i can set it with a vice etc... :P

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It could well be that the scope is defective but if it's airgun rated you should be getting your money back if it's broken and still under warranty. That's when there's no external signs of damage that is. If it's not damaged I'd invest some money in good mounts.

Well I think you are right that its the scope, after re-setting it up last night I took it out today. After about 15 shots it was the same again. I can still use it, it doesn't appear to effect where I'm hitting; however its not right.

The problem is getting the gun and the scope to the shop, when I spoke to the dealer the other day he asked me to bring both in to have a look at it while its mounted. However, during the week I won't get home in time to pick it up and get back to the shop; so I have to wait until next weekend. Thanks for all the replies.

where are ye based, and who is the dealer.. (pm that info)!

flanum wrote: »
    where are ye based, and who is the dealer.. (pm that info)!

Cheers, PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Springersare very hard on scopes alright
    I had same problem a few years and what i did was to put a piece of rubber on the insides of the mounts,it helps to absorb the shock a bit.
    also you might notice that the scope might move backwards on the gun,this is called creep and you can fit a block at the back of the rear mount.
    you could also try and make a gap as possible between the mounts
    that helps to steady the whole thing.
    remember to tighten the whole thing properly.
    if all this fails try a heavier scope that wont move so much.

Just to add an update. I brought the gun and scope in this morning, the usual lad I deal with wasn't there. He agreed immediately the scope was faulty, as he had not got a replacement AGS, he gave me a nighthawk [I think] on loan until a replacement arrives. Seemed like a good result to me, the nighthawk was the only springer scope he had there and as it was e40 cheaper I was going to just swap them over. Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry to be bothering you all again, but the difficulties continue. Two things:

1. I only seem to be able to zero that scope [its a hawke not nighthawke] at 20 yrds. If I try a longer distance I hitting too low, and I had adjusted the hight fully on it, it won't move any further. I'm guessing that the mounts on my Gamo are two small. Would this be correct? Hopefully I will have a new ASG replacement next week so I don't mind too much.

2. I purchased one of those gun socks today and the dealer placed the rifle in it in the shop, which in turn I put into my case. I got the sock as its hander to carry when I'm just using the feild next door. Anyway when I took the gun out of the sock I noticed that the screw for the hight on the iron sights was missing.

TBH it could have fell off when I took the sock off, but I'm hoping its down the shop. My question here is if its not, will the dealer be able to order me a new one? It a minor thing and I don't use the iron sights but would like them in working condition.

Cheers.

Advertisement