Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah...All Ireland time once again

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

So here we go. Gunning for the 4 in a row.
    How did everybody get over last Sunday? Watched it on RTE (didn't go), the presenters nearly having an orgasm whenever Waterford scored :D. How feckin pathetic eh? "Kilkenny not up to their usual trouncing of teams, only a mere 5 or 6 points this time",..... you'd nearly think we hadn't beaten Waterford (once again).

I know (most) of the rest of the country does not wish us well but to be honest after listening to that kinda tripe I want Kilkenny to win even more now. Come on the Black 'n Amber! Shefflin was a legend once again Sunday might I add. Such a sportsman. Pity the Waterford goalie could not take a leaf out of his book..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's easy to be sportsman like when your winning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    How did everybody get over last Sunday? Watched it on RTE (didn't go), the presenters nearly having an orgasm whenever Waterford scored :D. How feckin pathetic eh? "Kilkenny not up to their usual trouncing of teams, only a mere 5 or 6 points this time",..... you'd nearly think we hadn't beaten Waterford (once again).

I know (most) of the rest of the country does not wish us well but to be honest after listening to that kinda tripe I want Kilkenny to win even more now. Come on the Black 'n Amber! Shefflin was a legend once again Sunday might I add. Such a sportsman. Pity the Waterford goalie could not take a leaf out of his book..

If Tipp get through (I'm assuming they will)we could be in for a cracker. Didn't get to go to the match unfortunately, it was nice to see Waterford give it heart but they weren't in it as much as the commentators were making out. Don't care where I watch it, I hope Croke Park but if not then I'm sure I'll just be as excited watching it on TV at home.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's easy to be sportsman like when your winning.

What is that supposed to mean? Of course it is, that's why Kilkenny are at the top ffs!

Shefflin was a legend once again Sunday might I add. Such a sportsman. Pity the Waterford goalie could not take a leaf out of his book..

You said that, I merely pointed out winning makes it easier to be sportsman like, compared to losing.

Kilkenny are top thanks to talent and largely ignoring most other sports nothing to do with sportsmanship!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

would some kind poster outline the circumstances of how Cork won 4 in a row and the foot and mouth problem at the time . I have a feeling Tipp felt hard done by at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Shefflin was a legend once again Sunday might I add. Such a sportsman. Pity the Waterford goalie could not take a leaf out of his book..

You said that, I merely pointed out winning makes it easier to be sportsman like, compared to losing.

Kilkenny are top thanks to talent and largely ignoring most other sports nothing to do with sportsmanship!

yeah agreed easy to be sporting when you win, plus lets be honest Kilkenny have at least one player who can be known to be a bit rough with the hurl at times :D

hurl??? If it's who I think you thinking of he half confuses it for a javelin when someone gets ahead of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭irish fighter

bring on the all ireland i was there sunday brill game waterford put all they had in to the game and came up short so bring on the winners of sunday and we can try bring the cup home again thats all that matters not this four in a row talk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Petty, childish begrudgery.

Winning does make it easier to be sportsmanlike than losing does. But these Kilkenny players have been strikingly modest in victory, never arrogant and never abusive about their opponents. That's sportsmanship too.

And people in Kilkenny don't "largely ignore" other sports - there wouldn't have been a Kilkennyman winning an Irish rugby cap this year if that were the case. Loads of sports are played in Kilkenny, many of them to a far higher level and with much more success than in other counties. Do we really have to apologise for concentrating on, and being brilliant at, hurling? I don't hear Brazil being asked to say sorry for being good at soccer.

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Petty, childish begrudgery.

Winning does make it easier to be sportsmanlike than losing does. But these Kilkenny players have been strikingly modest in victory, never arrogant and never abusive about their opponents. That's sportsmanship too.

And people in Kilkenny don't "largely ignore" other sports - there wouldn't have been a Kilkennyman winning an Irish rugby cap this year if that were the case. Loads of sports are played in Kilkenny, many of them to a far higher level and with much more success than in other counties. Do we really have to apologise for concentrating on, and being brilliant at, hurling? I don't hear Brazil being asked to say sorry for being good at soccer.
    Not really.
    And yes winning does make it alot easier, I've lost and won finals in different sports, It makes a hell of alot of difference.

Kilkenny only started fielding a gaelic team what 2 years ago?? And only did as they were forced to, I think that qualifies as ignoring other sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Kilkenny only started fielding a gaelic team what 2 years ago?? And only did as they were forced to, I think that qualifies as ignoring other sports.

No, we've always had a Gaelic Football team. They just re-entered the League in the last two years, but have contended, albeit unsuccessfully, other competitions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You see, when one county is much better at a sport then anybody else for various reasons everybody else feels that the "fun" out the competition is gone because they cant meet those standards. So, while Kilkenny have had all the luck and have played very well over the years - others simply would prefer someone else got the final instead.

I think with regards to Waterford, possibly the second best team in Ireland for hurling providing everyone with much entertainment and excellent play over the years only to never make it to the finals or loose out against an excellent team - people have a pitty on them and want them to do well. Especially after the hammering they got in last years final. They did very well in the match, gave the Cats a bit of a scare and both teams played very well. Either the cats are not on top form or the Deise pulled their socks up and fought that bit harder.

So, you have to think outside the "We are the greatest, **** the begrudgers" box and understand why people were supporting the Deise and not really the Cats. Right or wrong, I can see both sides POV. I do believe that Kilkenny have set a standard and teams are slowly getting their. Its not all about skill with the cats in terms of playing the ball, but also their excellent mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Not really.
    And yes winning does make it alot easier, I've lost and won finals in different sports, It makes a hell of alot of difference.

More ill-informed, jealous rubbish.

Kilkenny didn't "only start fielding a gaelic team two years ago". They've always had one. Not a very good one, clearly, but they've had one. In fact, Kilkenny have THREE Leinster senior senior football titles to their name. How many other counties can you name that have three provincial titles in their "other" code?

If you want to say that Kilkenny ignores Gaelic football - and again, at club level Gaelic football gets much better treatment here than hurling does in most counties - then that's a legitimate argument. What's not a legitimate argument is to say that Kilkenny's relative neglect of one sport means that they ignore most sports. (I look forward to your soapbox on what great sporting counties Kerry, Kildare, Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon etc are.)

You're way out of your depth here. Do yourself a favour and, if I may mix metaphors, stop digging.

Purry Cat wrote: »
    More ill-informed, jealous rubbish.

Kilkenny didn't "only start fielding a gaelic team two years ago". They've always had one. Not a very good one, clearly, but they've had one. In fact, Kilkenny have THREE Leinster senior senior football titles to their name. How many other counties can you name that have three provincial titles in their "other" code?

If you want to say that Kilkenny ignores Gaelic football - and again, at club level Gaelic football gets much better treatment here than hurling does in most counties - then that's a legitimate argument. What's not a legitimate argument is to say that Kilkenny's relative neglect of one sport means that they ignore most sports. (I look forward to your soapbox on what great sporting counties Kerry, Kildare, Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon etc are.)

You're way out of your depth here. Do yourself a favour and, if I may mix metaphors, stop digging.
    A few actually, some even have all irelands in their "other" code.

I'm basing it on my experience from school and club sports, in school hurling was the main sport, followed by basketball(which nobody from the school coached) we only got a soccer team because the students made it and got one the younger teachers from kildare to "coach" the school decided not to field a senior rugby team even though in our first year of playing we got into the junior cup final.

I'm talking about kilkenny as a whole not just the city.

Also why do you figure I'm jealous? I just don't nuthug hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Kilkenny's county population is in the 80,000's. Just as well we're so small really. If the population was the size of Dublin or Cork, we just might win everything in every sport.:rolleyes: And everyone forgets our handball record (yes, a Gaelic game) when they pontificate about why we ought to play a game that could be argued in these days is neither Gaelic nor is it football.

Actually I completely forgot bout the handball!! Which is weird since my cousin is going out with a girl that's fairly successful at it, or was when she still played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

The very Best of luck to the boys in the final!!

As for the Wateford match, I think its been talked to death, as much as people wanted them to win and as much as people may think they are the 2nd best team in the country, the fact that they are not in the top 2 means they are not, they are now gone out of the all Ireland so lets draw a line under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

dewdrop wrote: »
    would some kind poster outline the circumstances of how Cork won 4 in a row and the foot and mouth problem at the time . I have a feeling Tipp felt hard done by at the time.
    I'll start the ball-rolling by having a go at this but await a better explanation.
    Afaik, as Tipp were struck-down by f & m, Cork were appointed by Munster Council to represent Province in A.I. They played Dublin & hammered them out the gate. I think Dublin were nominated too as Kilkenny may have been struck-down too?
    The real finalists did play the actual final (Tipp & Kk) in November but the winner of that years' AI was still regarded & recorded as Cork.
    Like I say my explanation is a bit iffy & tenuous.

So it's going to be Tipp-KK. Should be one to relish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Woohoo go on Tipp!

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    Woohoo go on Tipp!

Boo :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Boo :P:D

+1 Boo hiss:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Sick of fair weather supporters, a good loss here would sort them all out. I saw a car there a few months ago with a Kilkenny hurling sticker on one side of the rear window and a Munster rugby on the other, in Offaly, sporting a Kildare reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Sick of fair weather supporters, a good loss here would sort them all out. I saw a car there a few months ago with a Kilkenny hurling sticker on one side of the rear window and a Munster rugby on the other, in Offaly, sporting a Kildare reg.

So people from Kilkenny can only drive KK reg cars and only in the county bounds?

Cop on will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

brettmirl wrote: »
    So people from Kilkenny can only drive KK reg cars and only in the county bounds?

Cop on will ya.

I lived in Tipp for a few years when I was younger... but spent most of my life in Kilkenny... and now live in Dublin and have a D reg car... I'm all confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

fabbydabby wrote: »

One partner is from KK the other from munster
    One partner is from KK the other is a lunster supporter
    Is there a GAA equivalent of lunster supporters

They bought a house in Offaly because they couldnt afford KK
    They live in KK but choose to leave gods county briefly and drive thru offaly, wind down the windows and shout 'champions' at the locals (or 'poverty' because they read Ross OCarrollKelly being munster supproters)

They live in Kildare
    The car is 2nd or even 3rd hand because since couldnt afford to live in KK, they couldnt afford a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

One partner is from KK the other from munster
    One partner is from KK the other is a lunster supporter
    Is there a GAA equivalent of lunster supporters

They bought a house in Offaly because they couldnt afford KK
    They live in KK but choose to leave gods county briefly and drive thru offaly, wind down the windows and shout 'champions' at the locals (or 'poverty' because they read Ross OCarrollKelly being munster supproters)

They live in Kildare
    The car is 2nd or even 3rd hand because since couldnt afford to live in KK, they couldnt afford a new car.

+1 There could be a hundred reasons why it was that way. My car has tipp plates but I live in KK. My friend is tipp and she has limerick plates other friend is galway with Dublin plates, the plate means feck all. Also you don't know how many are driving that car. Friend is Tipp, boyfriend is Kildare, their daughter was born in KK and they live in KK so they both have their own county flags on the car and the daughter has all three county shirts but me and the mother make sure she's really supporting Tipp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

... and I drive a L reg car, despite being born bred and buttered in Kilkenny.

I just think that fair weather supporters are nobs is all. I know plenty. I'm sure you all do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Does anyone know what the story is with tickets? Will they be impossible to get as usual? I'm not a member of a club btw, will there be many on general sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

JoseJones wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with tickets? Will they be impossible to get as usual? I'm not a member of a club btw, will there be many on general sale?
    Sham, there does be none on general sale. Best bet is enter every competition going between now & 6th of September.
    Check out Guinness I-Hurling Website. Listen to KCLR & Tipp FM. ENter raffles locally. Plenty of opportunities even on the day itself if you chance strolling-up. But remember with on-street sales, it's a case of you pays yer' money, you takes yer' chances.
    Keep an ear to the ground locally. There'll ALWAYS be one or two loose ones doing the rounds.
    Don't expect to name your' seat though or even an Upr. or Lwr. Stand or Hill. Take what ye get & be mighty glad of it.
    I've only ever been to 4 All Irelands.
    96 Wexford vs. Limerick.
    06 Carlow vs. Antrim.
    08 Carlow vs. Westmeath.
    09 Carlow vs. Down.

Advertisement