Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dundalk-drogheda relations

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

why do people from dundalk nd drogheda hate each other so much ......(dont post comments like droghedas a kip or dundalks a hole) ...i personly think its retarded having fights wit eachother cause ur from different towns....they both basicly the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did someone say Drogheda *spits*

You are always going to get that in a county between towns. I live in Dundalk and there is some animosity towards Drogheda people (such as my opening) which is from idiots. I could'nt care less. I'm from Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

I have lived in both towns and always tried to promote goodwill between them. However, I have always noticed that young yobs had this mentality. at soccer matches etc. The real problems arose in the last 10 to 15 years when Louth County Council executives mixed with governmental departments showed a disgraceful financial bias towards Dundalk. Despite the equal population base the allocation of IDA / Government/ civil servent jobs and grants was greatly weighted towards Dundalk. This caused frustration in the South of the county and rightly so. There is a 'Dundalk Gets Everything ' feeling. This was based on solid facts and still causes resentment and the blame is entirely governmental.....at a 'lower ' level its just banter....I will add that much of the imbalance has been addressed in recent years but the Council's "Dundalk comes FIRST and oh yes we nearly forgot about Drogheda' attitude is very much the order of the day in County Hall to this very day.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Great post bottomdog , thats exactly why Drogheda people have a problem with Dundalk .We have been screwed for decades by louth county council and by government in general . BUT it has to be said if some of the stupid people of Drogheda and south louth in general would stop voting for the likes of Dermot ahern we might get some representation . That man couldnt give a toss about anything outside Dundalk /north louth and shows absolute disdain towards us . Other reasons for the rivalry are mainly sporting with Drogheda utd being in there shadow for years and them being in the first division recenlty while we were winning trophies and playing in europe .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Great post bottomdog , thats exactly why Drogheda people have a problem with Dundalk .We have been screwed for decades by louth county council and by government in general . BUT it has to be said if some of the stupid people of Drogheda and south louth in general would stop voting for the likes of Dermot ahern we might get some representation . That man couldnt give a toss about anything outside Dundalk /north louth and shows absolute disdain towards us . Other reasons for the rivalry are mainly sporting with Drogheda utd being in there shadow for years and them being in the first division recenlty while we were winning trophies and playing in europe .

have to agree with that. dermot ahern couldnt give a s#it about anything out side of his electoral area. i live in drogheda and i support drogheda united and i get the bit of friendly team rivalry. just like meath/dublin etc but but what i dont get is the whole "dundalk is a ****hole", "drogheda is full of scumbags" kinda crap. both town are nice towns. both have their problem area and their good areas. same as any other town. and anyone who says differently has obviously never been around either town much!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

alri ....so its the goverments fault (once again) lol ... I live just outside drogheda and go to school in dundalk so im go to both of them alot .... There basically the same place :they both have a few estates old shoppin centres and a big new one and of corse loads of aldis and lidls lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

bottomdog wrote: »
    governmental departments showed a disgraceful financial bias towards Dundalk. Despite the equal population base the allocation of IDA / Government/ civil servent jobs and grants was greatly weighted towards Dundalk. This caused frustration in the South of the county and rightly so. There is a 'Dundalk Gets Everything ' feeling. This was based on solid facts and still causes resentment and the blame is entirely

I understand your point entirely however you make no reference to possibly the biggest advantage in recent times that Drogheda has gotten over Dundalk in the steady reduction of services in Louth County Hospital that are going to an already overstretched and currently dangerous Lourdes.

I understand your point entirely however you make no reference to possibly the biggest advantage in recent times that Drogheda has gotten over Dundalk in the steady reduction of services in Louth County Hospital that are going to an already overstretched and currently dangerous Lourdes.

How is that an advantage to Drogheda .I wouldnt see the fact that we still have a hospital in the town as an advantage whatsoever . its unfortunate that you dont have one in dundalk but its not an advantage to us , its what i would expect tbh ! But as you stated its over stretched and dangerous so its not an ideal situation for anyone . Its a pain in the whole for you lot to have to tra vel down here to use it but weve had to travel to dundalk for generations to do driving tests , tax your car etc etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

DYLF wrote: »
    have to agree with that. dermot ahern couldnt give a s#it about anything out side of his electoral area. i live in drogheda and i support drogheda united and i get the bit of friendly team rivalry. just like meath/dublin etc but but what i dont get is the whole "dundalk is a ****hole", "drogheda is full of scumbags" kinda crap. both town are nice towns. both have their problem area and their good areas. same as any other town. and anyone who says differently has obviously never been around either town much!:D

I dont mean to stir it or anything, but with regards to Dermot Ahern, you could say the exact same about Fergus O'Dowd re Dundalk - he certainly made it clear where he wanted the new hospital located in....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

The fact that Michael Bell got elected some many times is a perfect example of how narrow minded the people of Drogheda were/are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MichealConroy

My thought's on Drog people is based on the relationship bewteen Dundalk F.C and Dr*gheda United. To be fair they had a good 2-3 years and are now back where they belong.

IN Our Shadow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

How is that an advantage to Drogheda .I wouldnt see the fact that we still have a hospital in the town as an advantage whatsoever . its unfortunate that you dont have one in dundalk but its not an advantage to us , its what i would expect tbh ! But as you stated its over stretched and dangerous so its not an ideal situation for anyone . Its a pain in the whole for you lot to have to tra vel down here to use it but weve had to travel to dundalk for generations to do driving tests , tax your car etc etc .

i think its a little bit more serious having to drive to a hospital in a different town than have to do the same to tax your car or do a driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Anyone from Dundalk that hates people from Drogheda or vice versa is an idiot. Grow a brain cell for f*ck's sake. This 'us' versus 'them' attitude is really pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Porkpie wrote: »
    Anyone from Dundalk that hates people from Drogheda or vice versa is an idiot. Grow a brain cell for f*ck's sake. This 'us' versus 'them' attitude is really pathetic.

Indeed...we need to combine our hatred and focus it on that other town on the east coast that begins with "D" :pac:

event wrote: »
    i think its a little bit more serious having to drive to a hospital in a different town than have to do the same to tax your car or do a driving test

belive me your better off away from the lourdes...........and there is a hospital in dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dundalk for life, yo!!

Dundalk for life, yo!!
    it says your from dublin wtf lol

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

andr3w103 wrote: »
    belive me your better off away from the lourdes...........and there is a hospital in dundalk

Few points here, The Lourdes Hospital was built by the Medical Missionaries and supported by funds raised locally, It was not a government hospital. In recent years it was taken over by the Health Board when it ceased to be a private hospital....But, It's not Dundalk's fault it got more than its fair share. Typically what happens is a Ministry decides to set up a project in every county, They ministry will then contact the County Council and ask for advice and co-operation and site suggestions, the Council then always directs the programme or division into Dundalk being the county town. And that's how it works woth every ministry,plus the IDA, Lotto money, sports funding etc etc. But there is also a very valid arguement that Dundalk needs this investment more given that Drogheda is the richer of the two towns, if house prices are an indicator of wealth. But whoever said the two should bury the hatchet was right. A wonderful gesture would be for the council to pass a motion of 'parity of treatment between the two main urban centres'....( Dream on Drogheda it will never happen ):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

My thought's on Drog people is based on the relationship bewteen Dundalk F.C and Dr*gheda United. To be fair they had a good 2-3 years and are now back where they belong.

IN Our Shadow!

There is a saw doctors song called 'To win just once' that sums up the Drogheda perspective up nicely. I don't imagine you'll be too interested in this but the reason I don't like Dundalk fc is because of people like you who continually take credit for a squad that won the league in 1939. That defies belief. I don't think any current Dundalk supporters could remember that day so why is it relevent.

I've been following the league since 2002 so the idea that Drogheda are in Dundalks shadow truly perplexes me. Nevertheless, I think that perhaps you should have your say about this post before we agree to disagree, at the risk of hijacking this thread!

I apologise to everyone else in this thread but I really couldn't resist taking the bait on this one.

bottomdog wrote: »
    Few points here, The Lourdes Hospital was built by the Medical Missionaries and supported by funds raised locally, It was not a government hospital. In recent years it was taken over by the Health Board when it ceased to be a private hospital....But, It's not Dundalk's fault it got more than its fair share. Typically what happens is a Ministry decides to set up a project in every county, They ministry will then contact the County Council and ask for advice and co-operation and site suggestions, the Council then always directs the programme or division into Dundalk being the county town. And that's how it works woth every ministry,plus the IDA, Lotto money, sports funding etc etc. But there is also a very valid arguement that Dundalk needs this investment more given that Drogheda is the richer of the two towns, if house prices are an indicator of wealth. But whoever said the two should bury the hatchet was right. A wonderful gesture would be for the council to pass a motion of 'parity of treatment between the two main urban centres'....( Dream on Drogheda it will never happen ):rolleyes:

ok but i dont really care about dundalk gettin more fundin i was just sayin d lourdes is a sh**hole:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

fh041205 wrote: »
    There is a saw doctors song called 'To win just once' that sums up the Drogheda perspective up nicely. I don't imagine you'll be too interested in this but the reason I don't like Dundalk fc is because of people like you who continually take credit for a squad that won the league in 1939. That defies belief. I don't think any current Dundalk supporters could remember that day so why is it relevent.
    What on earth are you banging on about 1939 for? Dundalks success is way more recent than that! We've won five league titles and five FAI Cups in the past 30 years! Our success wasful years were in the 70's, 80's and 90's ya big eejit!
    I apologise to everyone else in this thread but I really couldn't resist taking the bait on this one.
    And so you should apologise! It was an awful post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

IN Our Shadow!

Hilarious...:rolleyes:..You lot certainly are very witty and humourous up there in Dundalk...Living in the past as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Yeah we have a hospital with no kids ward or maternity:(. My wee fella was in the special care unit in the Lourdes when he was born due to haemolytic anaemia and again at 1yr as he had a virus...the staff were brilliant.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Yeah we have a hospital with no kids ward or maternity:(. My wee fella was in the special care unit in the Lourdes when he was born due to haemolytic anaemia and again at 1yr as he had a virus...the staff were brilliant.
    Ye were lucky lmao i suppose it depends on wat your in for most of it is terrible though ... You could be in intensive care for 12hrs.for example.
    Dundalk hospital is waay cleaner though. its a shame they dont have the other wards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ye were lucky lmao i suppose it depends on wat your in for most of it is terrible though ... You could be in intensive care for 12hrs.for example.
    Dundalk hospital is waay cleaner though. its a shame they dont have the other wards

Yeah I have heard a few horror stories sadly. I had both my children in the Louth hospital. It was far more personal...like all the nurses knew the patients by name..the maternity unit had only recently been redecorated when it was closed...when I was moved to the Lourdes with my youngest the staff were great and my baby got really top quality care in the special care unit but they were so busy you rarely saw the same nurse twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Pighead wrote: »
    What on earth are you banging on about 1939 for? Dundalks success is way more recent than that! We've won five league titles and five FAI Cups in the past 30 years! Our success wasful years were in the 70's, 80's and 90's ya big eejit!

You say nothing that I don't already know. If you have a point to make then make it. Otherwise, back on topic...

With regards to the Lourdes hospital, I was in there after a nasty enough accident when i was a kid (about 5 or 6) to get stitches and the staff were great. Looked after us (me and the parents) very well even when it came to health insurance stuff. Thats my only personal experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

My dads brothers both moved to drogheda in the 80's from Dundalk, thus i've a good few cousins who are drogs. The extend of the dundalk-drogheda relations is usually a small bit of soccer banter thats about it. oh and....
    turkiish daylights!

I was in the Lourdes a few years ago after a crash which happened in Dundalk, even in the back of the ambulance i thought it strange that Dundalk had no A&E.. Pity it is only a medical outpost.

Thank god I'm not into politics or football.

I could understand hating a person who continually and purposely hinders different aspects of your life. But hating a town? A region of a county? Madness.

Regardless, I'm from Drogheda and I think Dundalk is a pretty cool place (from the times I've been there, which in fairness, wasn't too often). Both towns are pretty pathetic though. Both are pretty much just streets with one decent shop for every five useless shops and tonnes of cafes, etc. (Again, not sure how precise that is as I haven't spent much time in Dundalk, but they both (Drogheda and Dundalk) seem scarily similar and crappy).

Seen an exact replica GMC A-Team Van parked in Dundalk though, so it's got Drogheda's black-van-with-a-red-stripe-supposed-to-look-like-the-A-Team-Van beat.

... And at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

... And at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?

Lu Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I've been following the league since 2002 so the idea that Drogheda are in Dundalks shadow truly perplexes me. Nevertheless, I think that perhaps you should have your say about this post before we agree to disagree, at the risk of hijacking this thread!

well thats the problem right there, the league started way before that.

Dundalk are the 2nd most successful team in the league of ireland. 9 leagues and 9 fai cups

Drogheda have 1 league and one fai cup.

ye can dress it up as you like, but drogheda united are definately in dundalks shadow, a few ok years doesnt change that

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    well thats the problem right there, the league started way before that.

Dundalk are the 2nd most successful team in the league of ireland. 9 leagues and 9 fai cups

Drogheda have 1 league and one fai cup.

ye can dress it up as you like, but drogheda united are definately in dundalks shadow, a few ok years doesnt change that

A few fantastic years , 1 fai cup , 2 setanta cups and the leauge . Some truly memorable european nights thrown in for good measure , it dosent get any better for Irish clubs .You had your good times many moons ago so why so bitter about our success .Weve had to listen to you people yelp on about yours for decades ffs .

Advertisement