Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dundalk-drogheda relations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Ah lads, whoever finishes higher in the league this season has bragging rights okay? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

A few fantastic years , 1 fai cup , 2 setanta cups and the leauge . Some truly memorable european nights thrown in for good measure , it dosent get any better for Irish clubs .

It does get better if you have 9 leagues and 9 cups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

It does get better if you have 9 leagues and 9 cups :D

There you go again with your ancient history lessons :rolleyes: Funny seen you lot and your spoofer manager celebrate a draw against bohs like youd just won the cup .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Just a quick note, We are not going to sort this out by saying who has the best team or the best hospital, or politicans, etc. Point is the two towns are pretty pathetic.
    I say lets just give drogheda to meath, then Dundalk can prosper once again hopefully...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Typical, immature sad and pathetic irish parochialism at its worst.:( Parochialism is what has held this country back and continues to hold this country back.

Did it occur to anyone that perhaps Drogheda and Dundalk would do best if they could learn to work together, not against each other?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

A few fantastic years , 1 fai cup , 2 setanta cups and the leauge . Some truly memorable european nights thrown in for good measure , it dosent get any better for Irish clubs .You had your good times many moons ago so why so bitter about our success .Weve had to listen to you people yelp on about yours for decades ffs .

im not bitter, not even close.

well done to drogheda in the last few years, good luck to them.

but no one can deny that Dundalk are a bigger club in footballing terms, its a fact.

it would be like trying to compare chelsea and liverpool (im a fan of neither btw).
    chelsea have had a few good years recently, but liverpool are a bigger club and overall more successful.

Just a quick note, We are not going to sort this out by saying who has the best team or the best hospital, or politicans, etc. Point is the two towns are pretty pathetic.
    I say lets just give drogheda to meath, then Dundalk can prosper once again hopefully...

I agree with you on one point that Dundalk is pathetic :D And who is gonna " give " Drogheda to meath ? Your crappy hole of a town has done its best to fcuk us over for generations , Lets just give Dummbdalk over to the north and have done with it once and for all .That would sort it out ;)

event wrote: »
    im not bitter, not even close.

well done to drogheda in the last few years, good luck to them.

but no one can deny that Dundalk are a bigger club in footballing terms, its a fact.

it would be like trying to compare chelsea and liverpool (im a fan of neither btw).
    chelsea have had a few good years recently, but liverpool are a bigger club and overall more successful.

No one in Drogheda has ever tried to deny your success , but its long gone at this stage .Youve where in the first div for the best part of a decade and are having a bit of a resurgence lately , and fair play to you . And the whole big club thing is a nonsense when talking about Irish football . It goes up and down as you well know .We brought over 12,000 to lansdowne and now struggle to get a crowd .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Typical, immature sad and pathetic irish parochialism at its worst.:( Parochialism is what has held this country back and continues to hold this country back.

Did it occur to anyone that perhaps Drogheda and Dundalk would do best if they could learn to work together, not against each other?:rolleyes:

Yes, wonderful post. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

bottomdog wrote: »
    Few points here, The Lourdes Hospital was built by the Medical Missionaries and supported by funds raised locally, It was not a government hospital. In recent years it was taken over by the Health Board when it ceased to be a private hospital....But, It's not Dundalk's fault it got more than its fair share. Typically what happens is a Ministry decides to set up a project in every county, They ministry will then contact the County Council and ask for advice and co-operation and site suggestions, the Council then always directs the programme or division into Dundalk being the county town. And that's how it works woth every ministry,plus the IDA, Lotto money, sports funding etc etc. But there is also a very valid arguement that Dundalk needs this investment more given that Drogheda is the richer of the two towns, if house prices are an indicator of wealth. But whoever said the two should bury the hatchet was right. A wonderful gesture would be for the council to pass a motion of 'parity of treatment between the two main urban centres'....( Dream on Drogheda it will never happen ):rolleyes:

Actually the Medical Missionaries of Mary approached Dundalk Urban District Council for land to build the Lourdes in Dundalk - shortsightedness on behalf of the Council refused to give up a land bank for free so the MMM's approached Drogheda Corp and were welcomed with open arms!

Geography is Drogheda's main disadvantage in relation to Dundalk - certainly in more recent times Drogheda's closer proximity to Dublin has meant that greater investment has gone to Dundalk as part of a demographic spatial strategy, similarly from a business perspective Dundalk has a greater catchment area(half way point between the two major population centres on the island) making it a more attractive location for investment eg Soccer dome/Ice Rink.

The locating of Local Government HQ's in Dundalk has its disadvantages as for example Dundalk UDC was downgraded to a Town council due to duplication of services in County Hall, meaning a smaller budget than Drogheda Corporation for the urban areas.

Regional HQ was moved from Dundalk to Drogheda Garda station.

Dundalk was neglected for investment in everything from infrastructure to industry to social programmes as a direct result of the 'Troubles' for decades! Understandably there is a perception now that Dundalk is being prioritised for investment but in all honesty a lot of this investment is playing catch-up on 30 years of neglect. Dundalk would have greater social issues in particular unemployment which sees the IDA seeming to focus more on Dundalk.
    I have worked with LCC, DTC, and Drogheda Corp, and i have to say that the caliber of counsellors are better in Dundalk (this can be cyclical and of course change) but generally the siege mentality shown by the elected representatives in South Louth works against them as they are harder to deal with and as such people tend to try and avoid dealing with them so they lose out!

I like Drogheda and like working there, i dislike the petty rivalry as it is counter productive for both especially Drogheda currently. I can see why there seems to be a bias but that same perception of bias of Drogheda being favoured occured in the past ie 70's and 80's.

Most definately i would swap Dundalks Chamber of Commerce with Droghedas any day cause in Dundalk they are a narrow minded, self serving bunch of idiots.

As for sport i'd like to think its mostly a bit of banter....

On the wealth thing i'm not sure if house prices are a good indicator of wealth as demand for housing in Drogheda would be greater due to Dublin commuters thus pushing up prices. But i would agree that there are more socially disadvantaged people in Dundalk than Drogheda, again attributed initially to being a Border town and housing large amounts of displaced people from the North. The legacy being large areas of social housing eg nearly 7000 people in one area where up to half are unemployed.

Apologies for the long winded post but in my experience no matter where you are the old adage of 'far away fields are greener' often applies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

JupiterKid wrote: »

Reminds me of that Saw Doctors song 'We're all the One' :)

Now we meet in a Melbourne bar, those old parish lines seem so dim from afar.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Reminds me of that Saw Doctors song 'We're all the One' :)

Now we meet in a Melbourne bar, those old parish lines seem so dim from afar.. :)

Thank you. You've made my day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

My thought's on Drog people is based on the relationship bewteen Dundalk F.C and Dr*gheda United. To be fair they had a good 2-3 years and are now back where they belong.

IN Our Shadow!

Lads...its hardly Real Madrid and Barcelona we're dealing with here is it? :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Lads...its hardly Real Madrid and Barcelona we're dealing with here is it? :rolleyes:

No its much more important than that to those of us who care .We are proper football fans who care about our local teams and poxy foreign football :rolleyes:

No its much more important than that to those of us who care .We are proper football fans who care about our local teams and poxy foreign football :rolleyes:

Fair point

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

In my experience, any animosity between two, lets be honest, depressing dives of towns has arisen from the unequal distribution of TDs over the last 30 years or so.

Droghedeans have only themselves to blame for continuing to elect a corpulant and politically moribund Mickey Bell long after the zest had gone from what was once and astute and effective political brain.

Similarly, the provo-worship that is not all that surprising in a border county (Didn't Bill Clinton once quip at his delight at being in a real bandit town when in Dundalk once?) has held back the development of amenities in the south of the county. By this I mean the huge return of votes for Arthur Morgan from the south of the county, who must have known that Mr. Morgan is based in Dundalk and was always going to focus on what is effectively, closest to home.

These factors, coupled with the continuous election of Messrs Ahern and Kirk have ensured that the vast majority of investment and development initiatives over the past 30 years saw Dundalk race ahead of Drogheda.

With a TD balance of 3/1 in favour of Dundalk, regardless of the intelligence of the Droghedean electorate (obviously a sweeping generalisation, but look at previous election results), it isn't difficult to see why a degree of resentment exists in Drogheda.

As regards the football element, I couldn't really comment too much other than to say that the sum of my interest could easily fit on the back of a postage stamp. Though I do remember seeing graffiti as a kid in the 1980s near St. Mary's Bridge in Drogheda than read DUNDULK FC and thinking Jesus, that crowd up there must have no schools!!!

There's my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

By this I mean the huge return of votes for Arthur Morgan from the south of the county, who must have known that Mr. Morgan is based in Dundalk and was always going to focus on what is effectively, closest to home.

Carlingford/ Omeath is his area..?

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Carlingford/ Omeath is his area..?

From the point of view of many people from Drogheda, he is based in the north of the county, which to many folk means Dundalk, however accurate that may be...

As Termonfeckin is to Drogheda, Carlingford is to Dundalk..

Maybe even Clogherhead?

As Termonfeckin is to Drogheda, Carlingford is to Dundalk..

Maybe even Clogherhead?

Please don't mention the C-word. There's no need really. I'm a Drog, born and bred in the town boundaries where I currently reside...

• Advertisement

Please don't mention the C-word. There's no need really. I'm a Drog, born and bred in the town boundaries where I currently reside...

LOL! touchy subject!!! No one wants poor *logerhead! maybe we'll give it to Meath instead..

LOL! touchy subject!!! No one wants poor *logerhead! maybe we'll give it to Meath instead..

poor old clogherhead is even more neglected than south louth by those in Dundalk :rolleyes: It has great potential and is a lovely location its just full of lunatics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

In my experience, any animosity between two, lets be honest, depressing dives of towns has arisen from the unequal distribution of TDs over the last 30 years or so.

Droghedeans have only themselves to blame for continuing to elect a corpulant and politically moribund Mickey Bell long after the zest had gone from what was once and astute and effective political brain.

Similarly, the provo-worship that is not all that surprising in a border county (Didn't Bill Clinton once quip at his delight at being in a real bandit town when in Dundalk once?) has held back the development of amenities in the south of the county. By this I mean the huge return of votes for Arthur Morgan from the south of the county, who must have known that Mr. Morgan is based in Dundalk and was always going to focus on what is effectively, closest to home.

These factors, coupled with the continuous election of Messrs Ahern and Kirk have ensured that the vast majority of investment and development initiatives over the past 30 years saw Dundalk race ahead of Drogheda.

With a TD balance of 3/1 in favour of Dundalk, regardless of the intelligence of the Droghedean electorate (obviously a sweeping generalisation, but look at previous election results), it isn't difficult to see why a degree of resentment exists in Drogheda.

As regards the football element, I couldn't really comment too much other than to say that the sum of my interest could easily fit on the back of a postage stamp. Though I do remember seeing graffiti as a kid in the 1980s near St. Mary's Bridge in Drogheda than read DUNDULK FC and thinking Jesus, that crowd up there must have no schools!!!

There's my tuppence worth.

Brilliant. :)

I remember getting the Drogheda/Dundalk train home after Ireland's last qualifier in Croke Park when a big melee kicked off between the local football fans (I think Dundalk had just beaten Drogheda 3-0..). 30 year old men shouting things like 'STAN - GET THE DUNDALK BOYS' and 'DROGHEDA QUEERS'.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

I find that vast majority of investment claim very hard to believe. I always viewed Drogheda as the more affluent town. And now they have a higher population. And for years they have had a preferentially better train service to Dublin (even when you take into accound distance involved). Look at the amount of town centre develeopment which has happened in your town over the last 5 years. Compare that to Dundalk and come back to me with an explanation.

3/1 to Dundalk? Seamus Kirk covers mid-louth, Ardee and Dunleer/Clogherhead. Not a Dundalk man. In fact, voters in these regions were urged to give him First preference for obvious strategical reasons.

I would not think Mark Deary would have any preference either way, seeing as he is the sole Green Party rep which consequently will have no political advantage in siding for either town. In fact his election campaign was noteable for the fact that it was one of the few that covered the whole county.
    Though I do remember seeing graffiti as a kid in the 1980s near St. Mary's Bridge in Drogheda than read DUNDULK FC and thinking Jesus, that crowd up there must have no schools!!!

Ah I see what your getting at now :rolleyes:

You have Jed Nash and Fergus O'Dowd to vote for next time, who will almost exclusively focus their attention on Drogheda. If your not a fan of parochial party politics, you can vote for Mark Deary or an Independent instead.

There is no conspirancy. You have the wonderful effects of the Irish PR and party political system to thank. As long as people continue to vote for the same reasons as they have in this county for the last several decades, I cant see it changing.

Oh and Louth will be a 5-seater next time, with the addition of the scummy Meath side of Drogheda to help you along.

How is that fair for Dundalk etc. etc...ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think your talking out your arse there tbh .The amount of development in Drogheda over the last few years was purely down to the huge jump in population that most towns on the east coast experienced in the last few years .And nobody in there right mind can deny the influence ahern as had as far as attracting investment into Dundalk and Dundalk only .He clearly dosent give a fcuk about Drogheda and has showed total contempt towards its people .He never shows his face here except for a good photo op . Same goes for mark deary who showed up and before the last elections looking for votes for the green party , typical politican behaviour :rolleyes: as far kirk ? a total ahern sidekick who was used as a decoy to get votes for ahern .And please god ff will get the boot in the next election and we wont have to worry about him anymore. i for one am delighted that eastmeath is being brought into louth its about time as it makes total sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

southlouth type
    I think your talking out your arse there tbh .The amount of development in Drogheda over the last few years was purely down to the huge jump in population that most towns on the east coast experienced in the last few years .And nobody in there right mind can deny the influence ahern as had as far as attracting investment into Dundalk and Dundalk only .

And maybe some funding was redirected to Dundalk to redress this balance? Its called spatial planning (Irish Spatial Strategy - oh wait that's another Drogheda sob story - sigh) and is perfectly legitimate. What if we had no planning - youd be complaining about urban sprawl, lack of facilities, "blow ins" etc. or maybe not - if you could make a quick buck out of it.

You cant have your cake and eat it.
    He clearly dosent give a fcuk about Drogheda and has showed total contempt towards its people .He never shows his face here except for a good photo op .

And tell me this has Fergus ever given 2 sh1ts about Dundalk? Or is that acceptable in your eyes? If so, you have missed my point entirely. And as for contempt, we wont mention Fergus's personal attacks of Dundalk NEHB management for political gain. Sure he's a saint.
    Same goes for mark deary who showed up and before the last elections looking for votes for the green party , typical politican behaviour :rolleyes:

At least he made an effort, unlike some other constituent politicians who wouldn't know Dundalk if it kicked them in the whatsit. I'll say it again - as a Green candidate I'd say he's eager to get votes wherever he can, and not to be bogged down with parochialism like most of his colleagues.
    as far kirk ? a total ahern sidekick who was used as a decoy to get votes for ahern .

Fair enough. He may be a FF sidekick but Dundalk is not his territory.
    And please god ff will get the boot in the next election and we wont have to worry about him anymore. i for one am delighted that eastmeath is being brought into louth its about time as it makes total sense

Yeh so we can have Fergus "I'm a saint" O'Dowd and Mairead "I went to school in Ardee once" McGuinness in the door. Things would be a lot fairer then, for some people at least. :rolleyes:

As long as the parish rules in Irish politics, things wont change. Or maybe its you that doesnt give a fook about Dundalk? Im not asking you have to by the way. But if that's the case then it's a totally different problem.

Not once did i call o dowd a saint .IMO hes a twat like all politicans , and he was a teacher in my school so i have first hand experience of him . But hopefully we will have a government minister twat that will try and attract some investment and jobs into DROGHEDA which is my priority first and foremost , then hopefully he will do his best for the rest of the county which is more than ahern ever did , he dosent realise there is a county Louth FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

furiousox wrote: »

What part of Manchester are you from??

doncarlos wrote: »
    What part of Manchester are you from??

Ok, we're starting to drift off topic here but...

Newsflash for you doncarlos, not all united fans are from manchester, not all liverpool fans are from liverpool and not all celtic fans are from glasgow!

lncredible l know but true! :eek:

l've supported united since l was in primary school over 30 years ago, l followed them when they were crap through the 80's and most of the 90's and l follow them now.
    l'm a season ticket holder and l go to old trafford as often as l can, l was in rome this may and in moscow the year before that so l think l've earned the right to call myself a fan and call united my team.
    l probably started supporting united just because my schoolfriends did but l think you'll agree that once you start following a team you stick with them for life.
    Football is an international sport so the notion of placing a regional boundary on team support is nonsense.
    You're missing my point anyway, l just fail to get excited about two small teams playing pretty average football in a part time league when others on this thread are talking up Drogheda vs Dundalk as if it's of the same magnitude as (for example) Madrid vs Barca.
    l've already accepted the point that this particular game is important to those who care....l just don't particularly care and like it or not that's my right.
    lt's also worth mentioning that l used to go and watch Drogheda play in the old Lourdes stadium and l contributed (along with many others) when the club made an appeal for cash to stop going out of business.
    l get the feeling this is just an abu thing but correct me if l'm wrong.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Well why not apply the same logic to International football?

Can I start following Brazil or Italy because they play a better brand of football than Ireland do? Imagine the comments you'd get if you started saying that!
    I'm from Dundalk and support Dundalk. Our friends down the M1 are from Drogheda and support Drogheda. I don't see what your problem is with that. The rivalry we feel for each other is also infinity more than you could feel for a Man City supporter. For example when Drogheda won the league there was a billboard put up in the centre of Dundalk saying you ain't seen nothing yet. Although genius and funny as hell it pissed most Dundalk fans off myself included. Would you get annoyed if Man City won the league and put a billboard up in Manchester city centre?

The problem is that even after 88 years we are still under British rule when it comes to the media and sport. Our kids are brainwashed at a young age by the bright lights of the Premier League.

And no its not abu it's I get annoyed when English football supporters feel superior and try to belittle League of Ireland supporters.

Advertisement