Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My ATM card got eaten and I'm being charged for a new one?!

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey everyone, just something I hope you can shed some light on...

I'm a Bank Of Ireland customer, and about 2 weeks ago my laser card got swallowed by a Bank of Ireland ATM. (Bearing in mind that there were NO problems with my account, wasn't overdrawn, etc.) and when I went in the following day to my branch they checked my account and said everything looked fine...and simply ordered a new card...

...NOW...I went to get a statement earlier and found when I got home that I'd been charged EUR 5.90 for it?!

Surely it's illegal for them to do that, I mean, their machine was faulty, so as a result, I had to foot the bill...Now i know it's not a lot but on principal if that happened to 50 people in dublin alone every night (easily) for a year they'd be screwing us for over 107k...

Sorry if I sound a bit ranty, just annoyed...thanks for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Are we missing something here, is this the first card you had swallowed? Of course you should not be charged for a new card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

even if a bank charged me for losing a card I would be seriously annoyed. In this case the ATM took it. This happens often when there is no problem with the card or account itself. No way you should be charged. If it was a BOI ATM they should be able to get it back for you. It's only other bank ATMs and off-site ATMs where the captured cards are destroyed.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There is a replacement card charge if you lose or break your card, however in this case they should have waived it seeing as it was one of their machines that swallowed it. I'd say what happened was when the staff member was re-issuing the card, they probably forgot to check the box to waive the charge. Give your branch a ring and ask to speak to the Customer Service Manager, explain what happened and ask that they refund the charge. I'd imagine they'll refund it without any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I had to get a new laser/Cash Card issued to me lately from bank of ireland because my old one (about 2 years old) went belly up on me and would not work in ATM's. When i rang up the bank to get a new one they told me there is now a charge for issuing of new cards.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The thing is, technically that charge was always there, the staff used to always just waive it. We've been told since March that we're not allowed to do that any more, with the exception of for children and OAPs. We are allowed some discretion though, for example if someone came in and their card had just stopped working, although there was nothing physically wrong with it, I would waive the charge. However if someone came in and they said their card wasn't working, but they had it crammed into an already over-full wallet and the mag strip was totally worn away, I would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

mmm, it's like the 2nd time its happened in a couple of weeks but not at the same ATM, although they were both 365 machines. The first time they waived the charge but still, as long as I haven't mistreated the card or damaged the strip, etc. I'd imagine I'm entitled to a replacement for free...

BTW, I appreciate everyones help and input on this one - I'm gonna head down now and see what they say...fingers crossed...will let you's know the outcome in awhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

well, looks like thats a wrap...Got it sorted, obviously a mistake and they fixed it there and then (fair play to her)...

Cheers

well, looks like thats a wrap...Got it sorted, obviously a mistake and they fixed it there and then (fair play to her)...

Cheers

Glad to hear you got sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Yes the same thing happened to me recently with Bank of Ireland. I have a few accounts with different banks and have never been charged for a replacement card before (though I think Ive only used the service twice). It's only 6 euro but it's not particularly consumer-friendly. Are all banks doing this now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Yes the same thing happened to me recently with Bank of Ireland. I have a few accounts with different banks and have never been charged for a replacement card before (though I think Ive only used the service twice). It's only 6 euro but it's not particularly consumer-friendly. Are all banks doing this now?

either doing it, or bringing it in.

BankMan wrote: »
    either doing it, or bringing it in.

I think they should bring in a system whereby you get one replacement card per year free of charge, but any others there's a charge for. I mean some people take the proverbial TBH, there's a young guy comes into us from the university nearby on at least a fortnightly basis needing a new card cos he keeps losing them. Once I asked him what he kept doing with them, and he said he'd lose them on nights out. :rolleyes: The likes of him I feel should be paying. However I feel bad charging the people who through genuine mishap either lose or break their card but are otherwise really really careful and have never had to have one replaced since they opened the account.

I think a system like that would be much more customer friendly.

Advertisement