Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Requirement

• 13-08-2009 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Does anyone know about the Garda's Irish requirement? I was born in Munster, but then moved to the States when I was young. I served in the US Army and have some college, but now am returning home to the deices soon. Obviously from going to high school and college in the States, I did not take Irish. Some of my relations have said the Gardai have waived / gotten rid of the Irish language requirement because of all the Polish and African immigrants entering Ireland. Does anyone know if this is true? I know part of the training at the Garda College are classes in Irish. I can't find anything about it on the Gardai website or on this form. Thanks in advance...cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Does anyone know about the Garda's Irish requirement? I was born in Munster, but then moved to the States when I was young. I served in the US Army and have some college, but now am returning home to the deices soon. Obviously from going to high school and college in the States, I did not take Irish. Some of my relations have said the Gardai have waived / gotten rid of the Irish language requirement because of all the Polish and African immigrants entering Ireland. Does anyone know if this is true? I know part of the training at the Garda College are classes in Irish. I can't find anything about it on the Gardai website or on this form. Thanks in advance...cheers.

you dont need irish but you have to have a second language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Exactly. You need to have TWO languages, at least one of which must be English OR Irish. But you will have to do Irish once you get to Templemore either way. Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Yeah you have to pass an Irish module down in Templemore. Don't sweat it though if migrants from china/poland with no irish can pass it you can too. If you've no irish at all you're placed in a beginners class and given extra tution thats all.

(You are expected to know how to arrest someone in irish! kinda!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 eightyhoursaway

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Exactly. You need to have TWO languages, at least one of which must be English OR Irish. But you will have to do Irish once you get to Templemore either way. Hope that helps :)

fluent in two languages? obviously, i'm fluent in english and know some irish as well. i know a lot of spanish (i took four years in school), but am not fluent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Who said anything about fluency? The requirements are Leaving Cert requirements. You need to have 2 languages in your Leaving Certificate (or equivalent exams to leaving Certificate) ie: you need to have passed 2 languages. Sorry, maybe that wasnt very clear. But no, you dont automatically need to have Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

that irish subject!always coming back to haunt me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

would english and irish cover ya as two languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

ayapatrick wrote: »
    would english and irish cover ya as two languages?

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
    Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

From Garda.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:

From Garda.ie

so irish and english fit the bill!

Advertisement