Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you started(Running/triathlons etc)?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I thought there would be a lot more late starters. Maybe I'm more of an exception than I thought.

I crawled off the couch after being completely idle for 34 years. That was 5 years ago.

similar except I've just started this year at 39. I cycled a lot in my teens... did nothing of note between 19- 25. I cycled a good bit for another couple of years then stopped when the 9-5 started and I bought a car. Children were the ruination of me altogether :o until some craziness overtook me this year. I'm not under any illusions- I aint fast and I won't be winning any races but who cares :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Running since my teens. Dropped off for a few periods in my 20s but now think I'll be running, jumping, pedaling or somesuch until I break. Hoping that's a while off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Started running at 39 as someone told me life begins at 40 & i wanted to be fit for it. I do feel a fossil in some races but I still love running after close to five years. Wish I had tried this years ago, it would have helped in so many other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Took up running for about 12 months when I was 24 having never ran before...progressed rapidly, too rapidly, ending up with a stress fracture from probably upping the mileage too much. Trained with a triathlete who had come 4th in the french olympic trials and basically tagged along with him on his training thinking it was normal training morning, lunchtime and evening. After the stress fracture I gave it up completely, devoting myself to drinking and hard living....At 29 I drank 8 or 9 pints the night before ballycotton 10, borrowed a race number from my sister who was not going to run it and ran 85min off no training. I know I was hungover but I was horrifed at how far I had gone back sine I was 24. That was nearly 18 months ago and have been keeping it going since then. I have huge regrets about the missed years from 25 to 30 when I really had the time to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I was 29 (32 now).

Avoided all sport before then and still not really interested in it, but I did cycle to and from school/college. Ran what was probably my first mile ever in August 2006 and kept going.

I'm still trying to learn to swim (it will click one day, won't it?) but I've made it through a few triathlon events, initially incited by a friend's stag event late last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

There seems to be a trend, in that people ran in clubs as youngsters, dropped it, and then started again years later. I thought it would all be people picking it up as newbies to get in shape when your metabolism slows down in your 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I'm in the ex footballer category. I hated running while I was playing football. I was a goalkeeper and used to always try and avoid the the two lap warm up.

After I stopped playing at 33 I took up running some IMRA races as some friends were doing them and I always enjoyed hill walks. I caught the bug and eventually begin to do some road and Xcountry. I have done a number of marathons and now at 46 am so glad that I can still run. I am not great but I really enjoy running and will continue to run as long as I enjoy it.

One other reason for taking up running was that I was sh*ite at golf! (and still am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭VanBosch

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Took up running for about 12 months when I was 24 having never ran before...progressed rapidly, too rapidly, ending up with a stress fracture from probably upping the mileage too much. Trained with a triathlete who had come 4th in the french olympic trials and basically tagged along with him on his training thinking it was normal training morning, lunchtime and evening. After the stress fracture I gave it up completely, devoting myself to drinking and hard living....At 29 I drank 8 or 9 pints the night before ballycotton 10, borrowed a race number from my sister who was not going to run it and ran 85min off no training. I know I was hungover but I was horrifed at how far I had gone back sine I was 24. That was nearly 18 months ago and have been keeping it going since then. I have huge regrets about the missed years from 25 to 30 when I really had the time to train.

Not bad for someone who didnt train for 4 years and was on the lock the night before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Was never sporty as a youngster, but was always interested in sports...from the comfort of the couch. At 26 decided its now or never and managed a few months before the couch beckoned started in Jan this year aged 28 and think this time its for real!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Same as most people here. 5 years of cross-country running (25 miles or so a week, 9 months a year) then found an excuse in the leaving cert to not continue. Thankfully, this training wasn´t completely lost and ever since I´ve been able to go out for a run every now and then, and do 5 or 6k no problem, but we´re talking once or twice a year! Anyway, between gyms and soccer I was able to stay fittish (but not really running fit) until the start of this year and then started training for running and I´m now completely addicted at 27 years old. The reason for getting back into it was having way too much free time on my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Ran for the first time in 2004 and did DCM then. Was 14 stone or so at the time. 41 now and a spritely 11 stone.. 18 marathons later and hill running addict. Never ran before 2004. Played a bit of footy but not much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

A fellow 20 year old,

Started running about a year ago in the sh!tist shoes, thankfully i had a annoying friend that told how stupid i was being and introduced boards.
    It's ridiously how much go advise is on here!

Done a couple 10ks and a half - planning on doing DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Ran for the first time in 2004 and did DCM then. Was 14 stone or so at the time. 41 now and a spritely 11 stone.. 18 marathons later and hill running addict. Never ran before 2004. Played a bit of footy but not much more than that.

That's hilarious! I'd love to see you with 3 extra stone hanging off you! I bet your family thought you were dying when the weight started falling off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I hated sport as a kid, but loved the outdoors. Did lots of hiking/camping, and when I ended up in college got fairly seriously into caving with a couple of farflung expeditions under my belt now. I always harbored the idea of doing a marathon, less for the sport and more for ticking the 'are you insane!?'/endurance event box. So I started running with the aim of finishing the DCM when writing up my phd lastyear (age 26 + in need of distraction from work!) and its all gone downhill since then, with a second marathon done, learning to swim, and the first of two triathlons this summer completed. Not sure how I was prejudiced against sport for so long! I really enjoyed the break running gives you, love the feel of ticking off the training runs as the weeks tick by, and was overall amazed at how good you feel when you're fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I had an extra 3 stone in 2005 too....plus a 20+ cigs a day habit. Funny to think of that now when I'm planning a 66min 10 miler on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i was a 15 stone 34year old ex footballer who thought ye lycra wearin pansies were for the fairy's..one more of you,one less of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

AJCOT wrote: »
    Started running at 39 as someone told me life begins at 40 & i wanted to be fit for it. I do feel a fossil in some races but I still love running after close to five years. Wish I had tried this years ago, it would have helped in so many other sports.
    That's my story exactly, same numbers as well. Suffering a troublesome foot injury at the moment so I'm hoping life didn't start at 40 only to end at 44 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Jogged very slow for a few years. Started running seriousley for last years DCM at 26. Feel like I've been injured ever since. I can get allot fitter if I can just stop getting injured.

Some good stories in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just recollected a previous related thread (Before and After pics)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055439823&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just recollected a previous related thread (Before and After pics)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055439823&page=2

:D
    Brilliant I had completely forgotten about that thread. One for the biki and sure maybe I'll give it a bump ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Started running at age 35, like so many others, as a means of avoiding thinking about cigarettes. Started running regularly last year, after completing the Connemara half marathon, and decided to stretch myself to the Longford marathon. Lots more mileage since - I'm 37 now, and have never run faster in my life. Life begins at 37!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Started running at age 35, like so many others, as a means of avoiding thinking about cigarettes. Started running regularly last year, after completing the Connemara half marathon, and decided to stretch myself to the Longford marathon. Lots more mileage since - I'm 37 now, and have never run faster in my life. Life begins at 37!

Yup, same here. This was supposed to be part of a six month plan to give up smoking. I never meant to get addicted to running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mickeybags

Started running when I took up triathlon at 44.
    Had been a competitive swimmer during my school years.
    It took about 3 years for my legs to adapt.
    Managed to run sub 30 in the Raheny 5 a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

AJCOT wrote: »

Fossil???? What does that make me???:confused: (Judging from the ages being posted on this thread, I'm probably the elder lemon on the forum -M55. Any others M55+ ?)

I ran in an X-C race last year where the second oldest runner was 24 years younger than me :eek:.......and, no, it wasn't an under age event.

btw, there were a good few behind me at the finish.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

hmmm,

Started playing every sport under the sun as a kid, gaelic, hurling, football (soccer to some), golf, etc etc.
    I tried a bit of cycling, but that didnt last long and also started running with a club at underage cos my folks would drive my sisters there for training twice a week, so I'd jump in and go too.

Was never that good, but the fitness helped for football. Stopped at about 17 I think.

Didn't run again for years, tried about 8 years ago, but gave up with shin splints. When I started a new job in 2005, a few people there were into running, some serious, some for fun.
    Started the following March, with a few of us going out at lunch 3 times a week, but it would tail off after the Galway 5k & Streets races.
    Didn't join a club til this year & the difference is huge. Motivation to keep getting out regularly, upping the distance, speed work, advice etc are all brilliant.

Have lost weight, more to go, and getting back towards a level of fitness I'd be happy with.

Edit: Forgot to say, I've just turned 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I crawled off the couch after being completely idle for 34 years. That was 5 years ago.
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    Did you do any sport at all before that?

I did plenty of hiking with my dad until the age of about 15, and I did some cross country skiing until the same age. Then I did nothing, and I really mean nothing, for close to 20 years.

Ok, there was the occasional hour of football every now and then with some mates, but that hardly counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I'm a late starter at this running lark. I played basketball until I was 30.
    I didn't do much in the way of exercise after that.
    I started running at 43 after a friend had talked me into running the Dublin marathon.
    The DCM was the only event that I did in 08 but I enjoyed it so much I've up the ante for 09.
    So at the ripe old age of 44 I'm attempting running events, cycling sportives and 1 or 2 (not sure about roar yet) adventure races.
    The list is on my blog http://gitser.blogspot.com/
    I hope to add some triathalons for next year.
    Roll on 45 I'm ready for ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Started running at 26. Never sporty in any way before that. A few yoga and aerobics classes was as much as I pushed myself. Had my daughter when I was 20 and never really lost the weight. Was introduced to running by an ex-boyfriend and made great progress really fast- lost 2 stone, ran a few 10k races. Then stopped for about a year (new man- fell madly in love, food and the couch became my best friends).

Now Im back in full force at 30. Cant wait to run the DCM and see where that leads me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Cycled competitively from 14-16. Played a bit of basketball too but decided to stick to the bike as I wasn't blessed with an excess of coordination - no doubt git101 can confirm!
    Got disillusioned with the bike but did a bit of jogging, then aged 18 decided to follow a 12 week program for DCM '83. Having completed that I jogged and rode the bike occasionally, but didn't get back into a proper training program until 34. Cycled competitively until about 39, then I let life get in the way. Began jogging with my son's running club a few years back, but only got into regular training in 2007 aged 42. Did DCM '08 on my 44th birthday and I'm looking forward to this year's event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lots of us boardsies are ex-basketball players it seems. What about a ART mixed team for a good cross training session? :D

I was always sporty as a kid, loved PE etc but my friends growing up were more into TV and all that ****e so I never got much opportunity to be out and running around. Started playing basketball in secondary school and fell in love with the sport, absolutely loved it. Being vertically challenged started to hinder me by the time I hit third year and recurring knee injury as well as moving to a new school with no basketball team put an end to my ambitions. I was a very handy player if I do say so myself even with my lack of height, was well able to mark players much taller than myself out of the game. Played soccer for one season than became too old for any of the girls teams at that club so didn't play again, knee injury would have kept me sidelined half the time anyway. Was inactive for about 3 years then, went to college and personal training and the like was part of my course, something I thought I would despise but ended up loving all that gym lark started weight lifting etc then about 7 months later picked up running and now combine running with weights. Hope to do triathlons someday, I've been saying that since I started running though and I've not made any move to improve my swimming or owt so far.

Advertisement