Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you started(Running/triathlons etc)?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

Lots of us boardsies are ex-basketball players it seems. What about a ART mixed team for a good cross training session? :D.
    Not a bad idea RQ, but I'm trying to avoid this
    ...recurring knee injury
    Cross training starts on Oct 27th!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aero2k wrote: »
    Not a bad idea RQ, but I'm trying to avoid this

Cross training starts on Oct 27th!

November 5th if I do NY aswell as Dublin. :P

November 5th because I'm going to do NY as well as Dublin. :P
    Ah, weren't you on the thread about egos as well - there ya go making us once a year types feel inadequate.

You should talk to Git 101 - he was pretty handy marking guys taller than him, not to mention also following a certain team, though I'm not sure if he'd want that mentioned in public....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm another runner who started at 40 - finally getting serious with the DCM this year 2 years on from that day when I spluttered around two laps of a 600m field! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I did my first triathlon at 37 and retired at 47!! I also did my first 5km run at 36 and have since done heaps of 10kms and two half marathons, the last at about 48. You are never to old (or young!) to start.

We even did a mini tri with our 3 kids when the youngest was 11. Got heaps of spot prizes too, for youngest competitor, most family members etc.

Now I just enjoy cycling and keeping fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

aero2k wrote: »
    You should talk to Git 101 - he was pretty handy marking guys taller than him, not to mention also following a certain team, though I'm not sure if he'd want that mentioned in public....

Thanks aero2k but in fairness everybody was taller than me.

I also may give up running but not until I catch you... that could take some time :D

@RacoonQueen I'd be up for a ART bball team if you all promise to take it easy us older folks :P

Git101 wrote: »
    Thanks aero2k but in fairness everybody was taller than me.

I also may give up running but not until I catch you... that could take some time :D

@RacoonQueen I'd be up for a ART bball team if you all promise to take it easy us older folks :P

Bet you're taller than me. :pac:

An ART bball team would be a great interval training seesion wouldn't it? Nowt like a fast paced game of basketball to get the lungs and legs burning. Definitely something to think about for after the marathon for a good group training session. We could draft in some of the non-bball players and we could batter them. :cool:

We could draft in some of the non-bball players and we could batter them. :cool:
    Unfortunately as Git101 will confirm, I'd qualify as one of them - even back when I was playing!
    Not sure I'll have fully recovered by Nov, today was hard!
    Back (sort of) on topic, and related to the thread about age and running, when I crossed the finish line today I was struck by how many older runners were in front of me. While jogging back to the water station to meet the OH I was struck by how many younger runners were behind me. I don't think Im faster now but I am tougher, in my twenties I think I'd have given up around the 8 mile mark!:)

OT again...I saw you as I was coming up to the finish, you were running in the wrong direction though so I assumed you'd already finished. I was going to shout out AERO...but I thought that would be a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

did some running with a local club (cross-country) when I was at school, but couldn't hack it, got pissed off and didn't do anything till I was about 25.

Joined a gym as was overweight, and slowly tookto running on a threadmill, could see improvements in running, but over-trained and did my ankle in, in some way.2months off...
    eventually in May 2007, got courage to go and run my 1st road race, the castlemarty 4. went around in 28mins dead and hooked since then, doing alot of BHAA races down here in cork.

went travelling around the world for 5months in Oct. 2007, lost whatever I had when I came back+took while to get back to that level.

training really not structured at all the last couple of years, till June this year and happy out with training i'm doing now+also doing less races...

even thinking about joining a club again!

• Advertisement

OT again...I saw you as I was coming up to the finish, you were running in the wrong direction though so I assumed you'd already finished. I was going to shout out AERO...but I thought that would be a bit weird.
    Of course it would have been weird but not as weird as a pair of pears running up the road - I saw them in front of me as I got to the 9 mile mark but didn't pay too much attention as I was hallucinating since about 7.5 miles. I did get a few good comments from the runners - I thought I was going to be mugged for the goddie bag.
    Was feeling all chuffed saying to myself "they've still got two miles to go" when a guy ran up from behind and told me he'd done 57 mins! He looked fresh as a daisy.
    Actually the most demoralising thing was on Chesterfield ave just after the 5 mile mark, a guy obviously on a training run crossed the road diagonally in front of us. About 200m later he did the same and he'd gained ground!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭numanuma

Just started! I am 23 and just did my first 20k run :)

By just started i mean 6 months ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

just started triathlons about 6 months ago, im 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I really only started getting into fitness in Feb 2008 although I was mountain biking for a few years previously. Signed up for my 1st tri (tri athy) and decided to throw caution to the wind and do the olympic distance. Pretty much finished last but still had big smiles all round. Pretty much addicted now to road races, duathlons and tri's. Onwards and upwards hopefully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

For me, 1 week before my fortieth birthday at the Dublin Port Tunnel run.
    Never much in sports - I have a light build which is good for running but rubbish for team sports - in eighties Ireland not many other alternatives than soccer or GAA.
    Started as a keep fit measure but getting a bit more more intense as I try and get the times down.
    I expect to make the top 2% of most races and am close to 3 hour marathon standard which is a lot better than I originally expected.

For me age is no barrier to improvement - particularly for endurance events. I appears to improve at the same rate as runners in their early twenties for the same level of training but on the downside I think I pick up injuries easier (less flexibility in the muscle and joints).

Hoping to complete a sub 3 hour marathon on the next couple of years and then move up to ultra-running and give it a shot.

Advertisement