Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pub rudeness!

Options
  • 13-08-2009 8:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Ok well yesterday daytime me, my mate and his girlfriend went to a reputable pub in the city(I shant name it), anyway my mate hadnt seen his girlfriend in ages so they were all lovey dovey (but not overly so), whilst he was waiting on his guinness he kissed his gf for literally 2seconds, to the bar persons disgust and as a result she took away his drink and his gf's and asked us to leave. Ive never been kicked out of an establishment before so Im furious! And it left the two of them so upset, any suggestions/similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

You gotta tell now....

Was it near a roundabout?

the huntsm@n???
    They are pretty anal there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

I really couldnt name it but its one of the bigger old ones on a certain street eh?:) Im still furious to be treated like a scumbag, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Mike... wrote: »
    You gotta tell now....

Was it near a roundabout?

the huntsm@n???
    They are pretty anal there

Couldn't agree more, a mate of mine was there & asked the manager to put on the football, he said he had been there a few hours, the manager told hem he was not welcome to stay that long....Mate only had a couple of beers, they're not keen on anyone staying for more than a couple of drinks.

Another time I was having a coffee @ 12 in the day & a friend of mine called in to see me, he ordered a pint bottle of cider & was informed no alcohol served til one...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Less of the PDA there buddy! / Did they get a room?
    This has AH written all over it

Ah now a kiss on the cheek is excessive PDA? So who do I complain to? il never set foot in the damn place again for being treated like a degenerate honestly. I take it I cant name the place?

• Advertisement

Des Hynes wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, a mate of mine was there & asked the manager to put on the football, he said he had been there a few hours, the manager told hem he was not welcome to stay that long....Mate only had a couple of beers, they're not keen on anyone staying for more than a couple of drinks.

Another time I was having a coffee @ 12 in the day & a friend of mine called in to see me, he ordered a pint bottle of cider & was informed no alcohol served til one...

Something similar happened to me, once i was after 4 pints, after dinner there, and told I had enough????

Second time was at a pub quiz for wheelchair basketball, we ordered a round near the end and the barman had to ask his manager was this ok..oh and they done it to everyone at the quiz
    xp90 wrote: »
    I really couldnt name it but its one of the bigger old ones on a certain street eh?:) Im still furious to be treated like a scumbag, any ideas?

Big...Old...Certain Street??? Hmmmm

Sk3ff, Taff33's...more clue's needed

What is it with the pillocks of bar staff in galway?

If mod says i can name i will, but keep guessin it ain't them two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Murphys??

Tí Coilí??

The Quays??

Hmm youve got it, but Im not gonna say which one :) oh they serve food as well!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

:pac:

You should have asked for the manager.

• Advertisement

Hmm youve got it, but Im not gonna say which one :) oh they serve food as well!

Got it....There is also a pub with the same name and decor in Holloway Road London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Really?? Considering they allow every degenerate stag and hen party in I'm surprised!

Maybe the Barmaid had just broken up with her partner and was going thru a man hating stage??

If it was just a small kiss it seems a little excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

he kissed his gf for literally 2seconds
    Ah now a kiss on the cheek
    He kissed his gf on the cheek for 2 seconds?
    Sure name the place if you like, it's not like we're slagging off their food or anything.
    So who do I complain to?
    You complain to the manager of the pub.

The quays.

I should have, I was going to get a meal and have a pint to go along with it, I just wanted to make sure that he definately wasnt in the wrong before saying anything, I'm still utterly furious, the amount of times Ive drank and ate in the place without any hassle, and then to be kicked out just like that, for the first time from anywhere. We werent drunk, we were properly dressed so I dont see the issue. I might ring them up later or even better, a strongly worded letter :D So has anyone had any similar experience with the establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

There is something fishy here. I cannot see any pub kicking 2 people out for just kissing!! What else was going on?

Not a damn thing, hence why Im so angry! We were three decent people just lookin to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Jesus thats well out of order, I regularly get food with my gf there and I have never been asked to leave for kissing her, what a bitch of a barmaid!
    OP just go in and chat to the manager, usually any complaints are dealt with fairly quickly

Magnus wrote: »
    You complain to the manager of the pub.

For all it's worth...

I was down in Knock about 6 months ago,had to bring the bro to the airport in the morning and arrived in Knock at 11.40ish, being Knock everywhere was shut, except for the Knock House Hotel, went in to book a room for the night and order some food, Explained to the Night Porter that bro was diabetic and needed a few sandwiches - he refused saying kitchens closed at 12.00, it was 11.50, said this he again refused, had some crisps in the car so would make do, then I went to pay with Credit Card and he said he could only take cash as he didnt know how the machine worked, so I asked where the ATM is, he said prob up the town. FACT - there is no public ATM in Knock as I discovered..ended up driving to Kiltimagh and got a room handy.

I complained the next day to Knock House and they basically said he is training, it wont happen again, barely apologized and ended the call.

So I wouldn't be a fan of complaining, Just tell everyone you know what happened and advise them against the place..

I must agree, word of mouth works far better, so nobody had any issues with this pub before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

The quays.

I should have, I was going to get a meal and have a pint to go along with it, I just wanted to make sure that he definately wasnt in the wrong before saying anything, I'm still utterly furious, the amount of times Ive drank and ate in the place without any hassle, and then to be kicked out just like that, for the first time from anywhere. We werent drunk, we were properly dressed so I dont see the issue. I might ring them up later or even better, a strongly worded letter :D So has anyone had any similar experience with the establishment?

One thing I would have said is that you have done what most Irish people do and that is not complain.
    Its not much point after the incident to say anything. You needed to speak to the manager at the time, as it (as another poster pointed out) could have been a bar staff in a foul mood that day and so to blame the pub itself isnt really fair unless the manager had backed up his staff in this instance.
    I have seen many a person getting their face eaten off them at various times in the Quays so cant imagine its a policy of the pub. As you said you have eaten and drunk in there many times with no problem so doesnt that suggest it was that particular member of staff

• Advertisement

You make a good point there, but Im not the kinda guy who likes hassle or gets involved in such, hence why I didnt complain at the time.

I must agree, word of mouth works far better, so nobody had any issues with this pub before?

Not really, It's full of tourists and stags so not a place I head too that much.
    Seem a few kicked out before for cursing at the bar, nothing serious like, just feckin hell and bull5hit...They got the door...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Do complain though. There might be something done about it, but if there's not you can say you at least tried. I seriously doubt your treatment is pub policy, sounds like an asshole barperson acting off their own bat.

mercuroman wrote: »
    There is something fishy here. I cannot see any pub kicking 2 people out for just kissing!! What else was going on?

She kicked all three of us out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The Quays is owned by Louis Fitzgerald, a very approachable guy (though quiet) who owns many pubs. Maybe drop him a quick letter, directly to one of his pubs or hotels in Dublin?

Thanks for that, I dont know if I will, I mean Id hate to be responsible for getting staff into trouble etc. I think the loss of my custom at least would be enough, and hopefully others who have heard this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for that, I dont know if I will, I mean Id hate to be responsible for getting staff into trouble etc. I think the loss of my custom at least would be enough, and hopefully others who have heard this

People cannot know there is something wrong if nothing is said. If you've a problem, let management know... they're not mind-readers

mercuroman wrote: »

Maybe it was the fact the 2 guys has mustaches, were speaking dutch and there was a film crew behind them set her off!!!
    RonJeremy2.jpg
    +

Netherlands+flag.gif
    +

Hollywood%20Film%20Crew%202.jpg
    =

2147504688_a2dbc29fb9.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's up to you of course, but in a way, not bringing it to someone's attention could mean that more staff lose their jobs because people stop going due to staff rudeness. Don't think anyone would lose their job over this isolated incident anyway.

Best thing is probably just to let it go. If it's stressing you out enough to cause you to post here, you're probably giving the rude staff member more attention than they deserve. You can be sure that he/she has completely forgotten about it at this stage!

• Advertisement

Ha!feckin genuis, though we were both clean shaven :D

Well i hope maybe other posters will follow me to some other pub from now on

Advertisement