Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pub rudeness!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Mike... wrote: »
    So I wouldn't be a fan of complaining, Just tell everyone you know what happened and advise them against the place..

Thats is such an Irish attitude. Avoid confrontation and instead moan about it to your mates.

I try to do both. Make the complaint and also tell people. So long as you are not agressive in the way you complain there shouldn't be a problem. Having said that some can't take even the slightest negative feedback.

xp90 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I dont know if I will, I mean Id hate to be responsible for getting staff into trouble etc.

Why? She was a bitch to you. You are obviously very upset with this. The manager has a right to know that this staff member has lost him 3 customers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

And if that's her reaction to a kiss in the pub, imagine what a wagon she is to work with.

I remember a few years ago we were in the Quays. It was a sunday evening and we were rounding of a wedding weekend. We were just having a quite drink when the wedding crew, bride, groom and their brothers and sisters, parents etc a mix of young and old and a lot of people visiting from the UK as the groom was from there.

Now we were watching the end of the US masters when suddenly while still serving drink they turned off all the TV's. Some of us went up and complained and they refused to turn it back on, we complained some more and pointed out that there were a few big rounds of drink bought there and they should really have a bit of cop on(we were very civilized about the whole thing). Then all of a sudden the bar man sends for the bouncers and they throw a few of us out. One being the groom.

Talk about thick people. Imagine getting thrown out of a pub for asking to turn on the golf.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Obviously there is a huge problem, but hey what do I care, I certainly wont be going back to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mike... wrote: »
    I complained the next day to Knock House and they basically said he is training, it wont happen again, barely apologized and ended the call.

So I wouldn't be a fan of complaining, Just tell everyone you know what happened and advise them against the place..
    Sometimes they won't appreciate a complaint made, there's always two sides to a disagreement.

Although as John said - if you don't complain, they won't know what to fix. m2c

Id love to see what the barlady's justification for throwing us out was though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I complained to the owner of the Roisin Dubh after we were "barred" by some arsehole of a barman. He apologised and "unbarred" us but I'll be damned if I've set foot in the place since, and that was nearly 12 months ago now.

Why were you barred?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

because my husbands glasses were fogged up (we'd just come in from the cold outdoors)

There's only slightly more to the story than that but it's long and very boring. The guy was a jumped up asshole - anybody who's met me from boards can attest to the fact that I am probably the least likely person ever to be legitimately barred from a pub.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    because my husbands glasses were fogged up

Well I for one am sick of people with foggy specticles in pubs! I shall be frequenting this fine estabhlishment more often where I can be assured of drinking with people who do not have to spend 5 seconds clearing their glasses.

Seriously though - thats mad. I used to like Rosins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

O.P there only one person you can talk to about this and thats Uncle Joe on 1850 715 815, if you ring them now they will put you on todays or tommorrows show, then they will ring the quays and we can all hear the two of ye go at it on the radio:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Seriously OP, its better to lodge a complaint so that the management know that there are issues with their staff. You don't know if something similar has happened or could happen again.

I notice that some Irish people equate those that 'complain about someone who isn't doing their job correctly' to being ****stirring dickheads. This is not the case. If you pay for something and abide by the rules - then you deserve to be treated as a paying customer. Not treated like a drunken loon.

I have had business dealings with the management of that establishment and have always found them very amicable. A long time in the industry and would most certainly not facilitate unwarranted crap from staff towards customers.

It disappoints me that this has happened but since moving abroad, I have reasoned that customer service in Ireland is almost non existent in comparison to other countries.

You should take this further OP, don't let someone get away with that after you gave the place some business.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Magnus wrote: »
    Sometimes they won't appreciate a complaint made, there's always two sides to a disagreement.

Although as John said - if you don't complain, they won't know what to fix. m2c

I know man, and I did complain too and was fobbed off, I wish I had taken it further but what would it do like?
    One thing I always do is tell everyone what a hole it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Amston

OP, I would definately complain, that is out of order. Phone them up and ask for the Manager, there's no way I'd let her away with that.....

I was in a pup in Dublin a few years ago and one of the bar men told me to f*ck off as I was trying to order a drink!!!

I phoned them up the next day and complained to the manager who asked me to pop in the next time I was around. I went in a few days later and the manager made the little as*hole apologise to me (he was morto)...... Made me feel SO much better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Maybe the barstaff thought you were celebrating your leaving cert results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Imagine getting thrown out of a pub for asking to turn on the golf.:confused:

Golf? You're lucky they didn't call the barracks on yis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Complain, either by a phone call or a well written letter to management, by well written I mean sticking to the facts and not referring to the pub as a hole or whatever (although I agree with you it is one, as for the food there yuck).

There is one particular barman over the west whose name should be alongside the word 'rude' in the dictionary. A few examples:

- Me missus was waiting to order a drink a couple months ago, next to her were a couple (tourists). He asked them for their order, 2 glasses of beer, and the barman went radge: 'Well what *u*king beer do you want, I'm busy and don't have all effin day, are you stupid!' (exact words). There were only this couple and my missus at the bar, only a handful of other people in the bar. He wasn't busy, he was just being an a**hole.

- I ordered 2 bottles of Tiger a few weeks back, he came back to me and said 'We are out of Tiger but it's cack anyway, what else do you want?' in his usual condescending manner. I said in that case I will take 2 bottles of Budvar without your personal opinions please.

I could go on with a few more but I won't, will only put me in a mood. Incidentally, I've only been in this pub about 3 times in the last 3 years (only when I have to go in) as it just isn't worth it. How and why this guy is in a job that requires interaction with the public is beyond me. If I ever acted like this guy behind the bar my mother would have flattened me.

- Me missus was waiting to order a drink a couple months ago, next to her were a couple (tourists). He asked them for their order, 2 glasses of beer, and the barman went radge: 'Well what *u*king beer do you want, I'm busy and don't have all effin day, are you stupid!' (exact words). There were only this couple and my missus at the bar, only a handful of other people in the bar. He wasn't busy, he was just being an a**hole.

Jaysus. What dcik.

Come on, clues on the Pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Just tell us the pub, are you afraid he'll come after you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Is it a pub down west that serves food?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

hacktavist wrote: »
    Just tell us the pub, are you afraid he'll come after you?

Ha ha, yeah that's it, arrogant twat comes up to my waist so I don't think I need to worry too much. No it doesn't serve food generally but it does have a colourful name (and an off-license).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Down Dominic Street ? ;)

I know the pub you're referring to. I've never had a bad experience there, but I know several people who have had.

They could do with improving the selection of wine in the offy bit tho.

Got caught there recently and didn't have time to go to Harvest, and ended up having to buy a bottle of spirits as none of the wines they had were decent:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ha ha, yeah that's it, arrogant twat comes up to my waist so I don't think I need to worry too much. No it doesn't serve food generally but it does have a colourful name (and an off-license).

Ah i think i know who you are talking about. And he is a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

xp90 I am shocked that its the quays you're referring to .. I was going to guess Monroes as there's one particular guy working there & he can be so rude. I won't step foot in the place anymore as he was so ignorant to friends of mine one night... I really used to like that pub.. such a pity one cranky person can put you off having a good night out with their attitude problems..

Hi all
    Thanks for the overwhelming response, through listening to you guys, I know that I wasn't in the wrong, rest assured a stiffly worded letter is on its way, who shall I address it to? Fair enough they may have thought we were leaving cert. students but we were all 18+ (Im pushing on 20), and i.d'ing us wouldnt have been any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

Hey Happyoutscan, I walked in there one night at 11.45 and he said 'Sorry mate we're closed' and then served the next guy in the door. I just laughed and left. Told the owner who I've known for years, and stopped going in there. But lo and behold, I was meeting a girl in Massimos one night a few weeks later and he was serving there. 'Serving' is a loose enough term because he's like something that fell off a barman - Neither useful nor ornamental that guy, and losing that whole area of Galway trade! So now there are three pubs in the west I don't bother with because of one arrogant, useless, angry little man (again I use 'man' loosely but little is apt. I think that's why is so angry). Stick with Monroes or the Crane! If you get abused there and complain, at least you'll get some response!

I'm confused as to which barman you're referring to.

Cos they're all kinda small tbh.

So is it the small guy in his 20s, the one in his 30s, or the older one, maybe in his 40s??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭conordaniel

i was in sonnys and the girls in there were fairly pissed off looking from the minute we sat down, me anothe lad from kerry and 3 of my family from the states , all lads, quiet pints, at the bar, feck all inside there at 4pm on a wednesday, telling a few stories having the craic, they were attractive women but no chat, miserable, too good for the bar trade i guess

we were in the quays later on watching celtic vs moscow, the lads had money on it and it came in, i mean come on, 18-1 on celtic to win and samaras scores in the 93rd minute, i backed 2-1 scoreline but i couldn't care less, the blonde northern irish bird behind the bar lost the plot, i mean what do people do when a team scores? nod in approval, no you fecking roar and shout and cheer, we didnt let it put a damper on things, we went up to Tigh Coli,( my gaelic isn't the best) we had been there the night before, the lads were ok behind the bar, considering one of my cousins is quite a tall broad fella, they kept telling him to keep his arms down, which i thought was a funny condition so as not to be thrown out

we were also in the kingshead, (all this take course over two days by the way) they wouldnt take our order at 8:20pm , they said food stops at 8:30, so i pointed to the girls watch, then she said the chef said ten minutes ago to stop taking orders, it wasnt busy and we were having a drink too, all we wanted was a sandwhich , in general they were nice, and anytime i've gone out in galway its been good

Advertisement