Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT packetloss

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Well all
    hope this is the right location

For almost 2 weeks now have been have connection problems, First noticed it online gaming , COD4 ping was showing as 45ms but loads of lag. Assumed it was the server I play on.then taught it must have been some piece of crappy ware that found its way on to my system ,Wrong again , System clean

Ping test............loads of packet loss. and I mean loads.averages at about 60-70%. Anyone else having issues like this with BT at the moment . Really hope its not me . Have contacted them but still no reply.Does anyone else have and An idea what might be causing ,it

Cheers
    Joe

BT Ireland : 3mb connection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Joeface wrote: »
    Well all

For almost 2 weeks now have been have connection problems, First noticed it online gaming , COD4 ping was showing as 45ms but loads of lag. Assumed it was the server I play on.then taught it must have been some piece of crappy ware that found its way on to my system ,Wrong again , System clean

Ping test............loads of packet loss. and I mean loads.averages at about 60-70%. Anyone else having issues like this with BT at the moment . Really hope its not me . Have contacted them but still no reply.Does anyone else have and An idea what might be causing ,it

Cheers
    Joe

I dont know what packet loss is, but my connection (in Ranelagh) with BT has been pretty poor for the last few weeks.

Always have ping of >80ms, on 'top' package of 7.6mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Well all

Cheers
    Joe

Can you show us some tracerts to rte.ie, bbc.co.uk and microsoft.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

Can do , when I get home this evening that is

here is three slightly better but still ****e

but still

here is three slightly better but still ****e

but still
    They're pings, can you do tracert's instead please?

• Advertisement

oops my bad

oops my bad
    All problems seem to start on the Esat server, can we see your line statistics please?

Again at work with the marvelous 12mb uncontented Magnet line so the only stats I about my home BT line i know of are

Line Rate : 3072kbs down / 384 kbs up
    Noise Margin : 24.8db down / 16.0 db up
    Line Attenuation : 14db down / 9.0 db up

router status

well BT responed with

Dear Joe,

Eircom have rejected the fault and left the following note saying there is no fault.

"This fault was tested to our standard procedures and was found to be ok. DSL is a rate adaptable product and thus speeds will vary and intermittent drops will occur time to time."

Regards,

so what does one do , Im still getting dropped packets and incomplete tracerts...................I could change provider , But BT are the cheapest for what I have got. well balls to that.

• Advertisement

What exchange are you on?

Newport , Tipperary

Newport , Tipperary
    Are any of your neighbours experiecing the same problems? It could be a global issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Your Isp is Your link onto the internet, they're not responsible for what happens once its off their network. Unless You can prove that there's packetloss on their network they won't listen. Servers and Routers along the way sometimes are set not to respond to ICMP traffic (for security reasons), so tracert and ping become less and less useful.

Thanks for the response guys.

Im prob going to have to put up with the line the way it is for the time been

maybe it will sort its self out , since it seems to have gone wrong all by its self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Not on BT Ireland but on BT UK here in Fermanagh and the last few days have been terrible. Packet loss all over the place. When this happens it takes a few days to clear, however ringing tech support is pointless and will only piss you off even more. Best to forget about internet and gaming and go do something else instead.

well fairy I have

Just finished Catcher in the Rye , have started Salem's Lot

hopefully when I finished , BT will a sorted the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I've had lots of problems through rapidshare recently, it will download fine for about 15 minutes then cut off. I find I have to restart the laptop to get it going for another 15 minutes.

Is this issue causing that?

No , Not really.

Download rates appear fine most of the time , Kinda stop and start but never have to restart to get it finished

Where I a most effected is online gaming ......It gives massive Ping/lag spikes

Or remote connection to work , After a few drop , server Kicks me from work system.
    Web site page load is also intermitant , starts ok then hangs for few seconds and the finishes.

Advertisement