Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office on Nokia phones, anyone?

• 13-08-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

According to The Telegraph:
    The two companies said that people will be able to read, create and edit Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote programmes via their Nokia phones, through its advanced Symbian operating system.

So, do you think business users would have a need to create/edit Office documents on their mobile phones?

As somebody who would create/edit a load of Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents, I couldn't see myself doing this on a mobile device, I would need at the very minimum, a netbook.

So, any use to you or just fending off the competition?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

My e71 came with Quickoffice. It's fairly good, and very handy as the phone is QWERTY, but I wouldn't touch Office software if I was stuck using a number pad.

Overall, quickoffice is vital when you receive an email with an office attachment that you otherwise couldn't read until you got to a PC.

And the funny thing is, the work PCs still use Office 2003 so they don't support xlsx or docx, yet my phone does?!?

I wouldn't use it to write an entire document or populate spreadsheets, but for reading and quick edits on the go, essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I was reading about this yesterday. Originally there were rumours about an announcement between Nokia and Microsoft a few days ago, and then they announced this. While I like the fact that users can now edit Office files, which is great if a quick edit is needed on the road, I don't imagine the creation of files from scratch will be used too much by users.

Advertisement