Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferret

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Need some help here. We have a ferret called Mojo and he is very giddy. And I mean VERY giddy. When we take him out of the hutch (once a day for a couple of hours), it starts out ok, but then he just goes wild, jumping around and attacking anything, even the walls and chairs. He is in such a state at this point, running into things aswell. He is nipping aswell, at first it was just a little nibble but now it's like a full on chomp and very sore!!! He makes this funny sound, I don't even know how to explain this sound, kinda like the sound a meerkat makes when in combat.

My question is how to get him to calm down so we can actually pet him, and also I am wondering if he is happy? This is the first time we have a ferret and I want to make sure we are doing it right

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Sounds like typical young ferret behaviour :) My two ferrets are 5-6 years old now and they still do this when they're out, I've never managed to make them sit still, except when I have the bottle of ferretone out, which they'll do anything for.

Also, the ferret war dance is the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nN9mc2c9VA

They usually make their excited noises while dancing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

I have to agree with MoonDancer, this sounds perfectly normal. It's how ferrets play. He's looking for you to play with him :) Does he only nip when he's giddy like this or does he always give your hand a nip? If its just when he's giddy then he's probably just play fighting... if you wrestle him with your hands he'll love you for ever but he will use his teeth on you... as long as it doesn't hurt too much that's ok. If it's harder than you'd like a sharp NO and take your hand away to show him that you wont play if he's too rough should eventually teach him what your pain threshold is.

Have you considered getting a second ferret as a play mate for him?? They usually do better with company. As much as we may spend heaps of time with a pet ferret we're far too big to curl up in a hammock with them or to chase them through tunnels. A playmate might be exactly what he is looking for.

Oh and that sound he's making is called dooking :) It's the noise they make when they get super excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

O thank you, thank you , thank you. I was so afraid that he was unhappy and getting aggressive. I never wanted him to be honest, but I fell in love with him after about day 2 and now I'm just hooked! He is just the cutest thing you have ever seen in your life and always happy to see us!!:)

I will look into getting him a matey, I was actually thinking about that already. Does anybody know where to get one? Also will I get a second male or a female? I definately do not want them to be breeding. Also could you please just tell me what is a reasonable price to pay for a ferret?

Thank you so much for all your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

They are hard to resist, aren't they!!

How old is Mojo? Is he neutured? When ferrets are neutured it doesn't matter whether you mix males or females. Neuturing is highly recommended for ferrets. For jills its because when they come into season they don't come out of it on thier own - they need to either mate or be given a 'jill jab' by the vet - and jills left in season can be come very ill and even die. For males it helps to reduce their smell a great deal and will help decrease their aggresion towards other ferrets.

As for where to get one, rescue ferrets are always a good idea :) They aren't all that easy to come by in this country but its well worth having a look for one before buying a young kit. The benefits of rescue ferrets is that they are usually nip trained, neutured and litter trained before they come to you which makes life an awful lot easier! I'll pm you a link to an irish ferret forum, I think that would be your best bet for finding a new ferret friend and its great for advice and tips from other ferret owners.

Advertisement