Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 - False advertising of Nokia 6303 as 3G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Ask your friend to register with the Talk2o2 forums and post the question there. They're usually quick to deal with issues there and they won't lie about the phone being 3G because they are open to many users telling them otherwise.

Definitely not 3G alright, here's a similar issue on the Vodafone (UK) forums where Vodafone say that its not 3G link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Take it back to the o2 store if it's within the first 28days, the phones faulty, i.e the 3G dosen't work...show them how it's failing to pick up 3G signal, and 2.5G is not 3G regardless of what o2 say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Thanks for letting us know about this. I will pass it on immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I have a friend who recently bought the Nokia 6303 phone from o2. He advised how great it was to have 3G on the phone for browsing etc, I had a look at the phone and said it looks like it is not connecting to any 3G network, plus the connection appeared slower. He said it was definitely 3G and it was sold to him in the shop as 3G, the only reason he got it. Looking at the o2 website it is actually marked as 3G, Vodafone don't, nor do Nokia, see below:

O2 Website
    http://www.o2online.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/O2ProductDisplayView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&enableAddToCartBtn=true&catalogId=10001&phoneId=127070&flowType=SU&productId=127070&partNumber=35319903

Vodafone:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/prepay/upgrade/index.jsp?handset=6303S&manufacturerSelected=ALL

Nokia:
    http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-6303-classic/specifications

So my friend rings o2 and advises that he bought this new phone as a 3G phone yet it is not. Advised that they are advertising it as such etc, amazingly they continue to argue that it is a 3G phone. So o2 are false advertising and are not going to change this? At most it is a 2.5G phone, anyone here work for o2 want to comment on this?

You might want to take a screengrab of the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Its changed now to show its not 3g.

Good look trying to get o2 to replace it, Ive heard so many horror stories about customers buying faulty phones and they just don't want to know you and will use any excuse they can to try worm out of their responsibility.

let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Big f*ck up for o2. I cant understand why they give a humans job to a monkey. Has happened before on other networks, meteor can be poor too, no excuses for this, and OP you should have no problem with changing it, you were told it 3g and its not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Davy wrote: »
    Big f*ck up for o2. !

you could say there on a roll...the hits keep coming...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I find that a lot of mistakes can be found on mobile providers' websites. I don't find that any one site has more mistakes than the others, it's just they all seem to make basic mistakes, e.g. O2 = the Nokia 6303 being a 3G handset*, Meteor = Max size per MMS 100kB etc.

*not taking into account that O2 stores and customer care are also advising of this.

• Advertisement

While I admit I have seen blank sections on some of the handset specifications pages, I'd prefer no information over inaccurate information any day.

With that said, I do agree that, at the very least, getting the basics correct should be easy, as how hard it is to copy the information from in-house material sent from the manufacturers, or, better yet, the manufacturer's website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I disagree it was false advertising. That suggests that it was intentionally done.

I think it was more a case of a mistake on the O2 website, followed by O2 shop employees taking it as true, not knowing any different.

I think their should be 'mistake money' :pac:

When you spot a mistake like this, if you report it, you get a little something ;)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I disagree it was false advertising. That suggests that it was intentionally done.

I think it was more a case of a mistake on the O2 website, followed by O2 shop employees taking it as true, not knowing any different.

I agree. It's not as if O2 advertised an unlimited product that had a secret cap, or denied a handset's fatal flaw that resulted in it restarting every time it handed over from 3G to 2.5G , or advised you could receive an unlocking code and then not give it to you.

Mistakes are made every day, but it's how these mistakes are dealt with that makes the experience a positive and memorable one.
    I think their should be 'mistake money' :pac:

When you spot a mistake like this, if you report it, you get a little something ;)

They couldn't do that as otherwise they'd all be losing a fortune. ;)

Rsaeire wrote: »
    They couldn't do that as otherwise they'd all be losing a fortune. ;)

But they would have to learn very quickly not to do stupid things like this :pac:

I think if a network did use the 'mistake money' idea, it would show that they are 'flawless', i use that word loosely. Dont think any irish operator would be man enough.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dont think any irish operator would be man enough.....:pac:

I don't think any Irish operator would be competent enough.

Evidently so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I don't think any Irish operator would be foolish enough. Bye bye profits.

One thing i found useful on the o2 site was the feedback popup, i think they introduced after the last update. So if anything is wrong its easy to let them know,, but no reward for using it :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hi all,

Well it was not my phone, but I was there when he was on the phone to the support desk who insisted over and over it was 3G even asking him to change his settings. They went off and asked the 'technical' team yet came back saying that it was 3G. Even pointing out the nokia website etc....just a tad annoying that support don't realise the mistake. Understand they are made, no problem with that, just worrying that you have to post on a forum to get them to listen.

Anyway he is off with his screen print to get a new phone this afternoon.

Easy.

Advertisement