Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first night of Arena

• 13-08-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Last night I spent a good hour on my Horde 80 lvl Rogue. I don't have a team so I just joined random 2 v 2 games.

I did this about 6 weeks ago when I first ding 80 (for one game only). I was in mostly greens which made me laugh so hard from the comment I got from my 2v2 partner I teamed up with "I wont repeat what was said" Still i did more damage then him :)

Last night i must have played 20 games, out of the 20 i only won maybe 5max, (god do i suck at arena).

What im finding very very hard is to target the enemy, and switch between them ect..... also if they summon pets and mages make copys of them selfs + if my arena partner has pets its just a big mess on my screen.

Was wondering if anyone could let me know what PvP addons should i be using ? or what ones you use ?
    Also is their any way to flick between targets easy (tab kind of sucks)? Last night for instance this pala was after me and it was like he was lagging (or maybe it was me) but i could not click him as he was jumping all over the screen.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Gladius is a great addon for arena :) tells specs,class,race and has a casting bar along with warnings for trinkets, low health etc :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd also like any advice people have on this. Gonna try some Arena with my rogue as well, once i get some more PvP gear from bg's. What sort of gear (or more specifically, resiliance levels) should you have before going into arena's? Did the resiliance changes make it much more benificial to have PvP gear or PvE gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

As with most things, skill > gear. My mage only has 250ish resilience, so gets crucified when nuked. Friends of mine are around the 800/900 resilience mark and sometimes don't last much longer.

There's always some trick / tip you'll pick up for playing against certain classes.
    For rogues in arena, I wouldn't have any experience - mine is at 60 and farming BG's for achievements.

Mirror images can be taken down with fan of knives (imp throw is great for this as you can get interrupts on the main mage himeslf.)

If you're in 2v2, make sure to stick on your target like glue unless your partner desperately needs your help.

Addons wise, Gladius is ok. I used to use arenamaster, but with the new blizzard frames you see who you're playing against anyways so there's no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Seems the resi changes havent done much, still getting raped on my priest with 980 resi. But i think anything above 600 resi should do ya. Personally im hatign arena on my priest as soubel dps teams just deatroy me within seconds, but then again im really really bad in arena, highest ive ever been was on my hunter at 1400ish back in tbc, dont think ive got my prieest past 1200 in lk.

one for ya that may help anti, you play disc in pvp or shadow? i can hit about 1050 res in pvp gear as disc but iv started swapping out gear and taking more spell power stuff (PVE) and im sitting at about 750 res with 2300 spell power and find it easier to survive, unless i know its gona be a full out nuke on me (BGs when i see it coming) but i just stack the spell power a bit more in arena, shields, renews, poms and penance all hit for much more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Gladius is good for targeting but its also extremly useful for seeing when the enemy uses oh sh1t spells such as pain supression, cloak of shadows, bubble etc. It is also very handy for targeting the mage after he uses mirror image or the hunter after he uses FD. There is also an option to announce when the enemy has used their pvp trinket or when its off cooldown, or when they are drinking (along with other stuff).

Interupt Bar is another great addon. It tells you when your enemy has their interupt ready such as kick or spell lock so you can fake cast so they kick when your not casting anything and then your free to cast as you please.

Macros make or break games, find them at www.arenajunkies.com. There are macros to pop all available cd’s when your going for a nuke as well as macros to blind your focus target, so just put the healer as your focus and when he goes to heal blind him without loosing target of the guy your killing. Focus fear has won so many games for me its unbelievable because the guy im targeting things im fearing him but I actually fear the healer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

What the above poster said.

Practice, tactics(Reading?) and gear are the most important/easiest ways to improve. If you've no idea of what you're supposed to be doing at all, try watching teams that beat you or alternatively watch videos of what the best players in the world do at http://www.warcraftmovies.com/ and try take on board what people are doing/trying to do.

Arena Junkies is a great resource.

You will be bad at the start but slowly you should improve. When you get a partner, go on voice chat/vent/skype with. Communicating during a match is essential for most players and setups.

I don't play a rogue so I don't have first hand experience, but essentially your job is to offer big openers(from stealth), burst damage, control of the other team(sap, blind, gouge, kick, crippling poison) and make good use of cool downs to keep yourself alive when pressured(vanish, cloak of shadows etc.).

As I mentioned above, because you offer so much crowd control as a rogue, you really should be communicating with your partner. As a rogue you can play pretty reasonably with any other class in 2v2 and most setups in 3v3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've always found Natur enemy cast bars and Proximo/Gladius to be the minimum addons I would take, for arenas. After that, the usual class required addons.

Beyond that it just comes down to reading lots of stats/guides/tips and playing, playing, playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thanks for all the tips and links. Will be reading and trying out these add ons over the weekend which will be keeping me more then busy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

Whats essential.

Quartz (focus castbar, target castbar, player castbar)

Afflicted
    (Shows the cool down timers of peoples abilities, for instance *psychic scream, kidney shot, amz* basically anything you can think of you can add in, totems also.)

Spellalerter
    (Best addon you can possibly have) Shows what spell your targets are casting in a big icon on your screen amazing for when an apposing players healer is trying to lava burst you cyclone you or a mage polymorphing you.
    you can also set it up to show freedoms/bubbles/totems anything)

Ekann's buffbars shows buffs and debuffs and when they are about to expire, for example, how long you sit in a cheap/kidney/blind/fear/poly

Gladius doesn't show talent specs anymore, but its still a god send of an addon.

Macros Make sure you as a rouge have a good macro for blind/focus blind with a shift/alt/ctrl modifier or whatever suites you, having to turn and target something to get your main cc off is a nightmare.

As a rogue you have complete control over your opponents, don't be afraid to go ultra offensive, using cloak/evasion in a burst to stop you from being cc'd at all, with the exception of a hammer.
    Also don't forget that against teams with high defensive cd's blowing all of the above to get a kill means if you don't land it, you're pretty much wide open for them to two shot in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

If by hammer you mean Hammer of Justice, then thats a spell and you are immune with Cloak of Skills.

But otherwise, I'd agree with your points. Oh and find the macro for insta sap as you'll need it for rogue v rogue fights.

Also, master the art of blind into sap, as it wins games alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have been doing arena on my hunter for the last few nights with a disc priest and unholy DK. First few matches were a bit well.... **** really as we kept comming up against teams with furious gear and weps :( But then last night it settled down with people around our own gear and its going pretty well now. Got from 300 to 701 rating in a few games last night.

Anyone got any tips on how to kill warriors as a hunter, as when i put any distance in between them them just charge me rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well i have not started doing my Arena yet. Have my Team set up but waiting until the new season starts. As i think its only 2 weeks away + you will lose all your arena points that u have stored up ?

Anyone can confirm them.

yup arena points reset when the new season starts. im sitting on 2200 points and 1749 rating... trying to decide do i get the furious chest or hold off and hope i get to 1850 and get the offhand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Imo buy what u can now! I sat on my points ar a priest hopeing to get furious weapon rating.....we peaked 1779 and now we back to nothing rating =\ well 1670 ish

na we will get 1750 so im just waiting to see on 1850. i have a better mainhand than the furious 1850 one so ill just hang on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

remember pts and raitings re set with the new season which i think is this week :rolleyes:

why'd you change your name splinty?

also, as stated, arena points are gona reset either in 7 days or 14 in preperation of the new season so you might wanna try your hardest to get that rating you need.

Also, honor does not reset and you can convert arena points to honor if you dont get the rating you need to buy anything nicer. Cap is still 75k honor though =( i got about 250k honor saved up from the 75k and the bg marks and those WG things that give 2k honor so i should be able to buy all the offset pieces as soon as they become available :D.

Season is ending this day week.
    However there is always a cooling off period for players in that week who want to spend their points and also to allow blizzard to give out rewards, so you'll have 2 weeks left before you have to spend them.

As to your question about killing warriors, I can only assume or hope that you're survival, if you're not you're failing :d
    Anyway, it goes something like this, freezing trap, kite warrior over it, have your dk have the warrior on focus or whatever melee is targeting you and have him constantly chains of ice him. The warrior will charge then intercept after this you're free to disengage and get distance and freely nuke, I'd also suggest a crab, its pins/sacrafice are MASSIVE in 3v3.

Your priest should play very offensive in that combo, dispelling, holy fire whenever he possibly can, its a good combo, just make sure you keep dk's deathgrips to stop warriors from bladestorming you and remember deflect is your best friend.

Ps: Anyone else getting glad this season?

warlocks were too bad for most of this season for me to even bother trying to get glad but next season i will be trying from the very start. I may not have the 310% speed frost wyrm but at least i got the iron-bound proto :)

• Advertisement

Psycopat wrote: »
    warlocks were too bad for most of this season for me to even bother trying to get glad but next season i will be trying from the very start. I may not have the 310% speed frost wyrm but at least i got the iron-bound proto :)

You were obviously not playing the same game I was.
    This season locks are as overpowered as they were when they ran with a druid bc season 2.

SUP, flury/fear/immo/chaos/conflag + healer dps = dead.

Affliction has just received a HUGE buff in the recent patch as well.
    If you failed getting it this season while destro was the biggest joke of a spec ever then I don't hold much hope for you next season :D

fatjebus wrote: »

SUP, flury/fear/immo/chaos/conflag + healer dps = dead.

Not sure what battlegroup your on, but on misery there is no way you'll be allowed to do that, maybe up to 2k but any higher and you'll have so many immo dispells that you will barely be able to conflag as soon as your immo hits, locks sucked so much in 2v2 and until the resi change cleave teams ate us in 3's.
    Cleave wrote:
    So what do we go for? Lets global the pet then train the lock till he dies?
    Ok lol.

Thats pretty much how every fight worked out until 3.2 now it takes them about 1 or 2 seconds longer to kill the pet. Also, im not exactly under-geared, full furious with 1k resi.

And if i may ask, what class and and on which BG will you be getting glad on this season?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gonna start Arena once the new season kicks off. I've been farming Battleground's and am now up to 800 resilience, so that should help. It has definitely helped in Battlegrounds anyway, as i dont die anywhere near as fast. Gonna focus on 3v3 matches, with a few 2v2 and 5v5 when i can. What would a good 3v3 setup be with a Rogue? Vaguely remember Rogue/Priest/Mage (or was it Warrior).

Gotta get my macro's and keybindings sorted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Rouge mage priest is one fo the most common 3v3 works very well and isnt too hard to play.

Advertisement