Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mic Advice

Options
  • 13-08-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm splashing out and buying a good studio mic. Mainly for vocals but the odd acoustic instrument also. I'm looking at 2 at the moment. First one I'm looking at is the AKG C 414 B-XLS. I've only used one once years back so I don't remember much though I hear they are a bit of a studio standard these days.

I'm also looking at the Audio Technica AT4050SM. I've used one of these many times and I've always been happy with the result.

Can anyone give me any advice or maybe recommend a mic? Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I've been using an AT4047 for years and I love it so I would definitely recommend the Audio Technica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

the 414 is a studio staple, the world over, akg make a 214 which is a single pattern mic, ie no figure8 or omni mode but might save you a chunk of cash while giving you that classic noise free sound.

Also look at SE's range, great sounding and well priced, same with Rode,

personally i use a cheap AKG perception400, thru a focusrite twintrak pre-amp, noise isnt an issue so i'm happy with this, my room acoustics are more of a problem and buying a better mic wont solve these, only acoustic treatment will cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Cheers for the reply Quiggers. I probably posted this in the wrong forum, anyway, I went for a Neumann TLM 103. It was a pricey little bast**d but I'm told it will be worth it. I'm looking at a Focusrite ISA One to go with it. I'd love to go with some thing UA but can't justify it for the few vocals I do!

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Cheers also gsparx for your reply, sorry totally missed that :o

Advertisement