Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the Clontarf Dracula experience

Options
  • 13-08-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Anyone know what the current status is with this? I'm particularly interested in the Dracula centre (as the thread title suggests).
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/bar-code-may-have-to-be-torn-down-1481305.html
    Bar Code may have to be torn down

By Lisa-Anne Crookes
    Wednesday September 24 2008

A well-known Dublin nightclub may have to be torn down because its owners didn't have permission to build it in the first place.
    The club and leisure centre owners have been ordered to pull down a large part of its premises after they were refused permission to retain sections of the building.
    The owners of the centre on Clontarf Road, Dublin 3 may have to completely demolish extensive portions of the Westwood Leisure Centre after An Bord Pleanala refused planning permission for their retention.
    complaints
    The leisure centre had sought approval to retain sections of the premises, which includes a well known nightclub, Barcode. The club has been the subject of complaints by local residents who claim it is a source of constant noise and nuisance.
    The appeals body agreed with Dublin City Council's decision to grant permission for the retention of a number of elements of the complex including a health clinic, entrance lobby and storage. But it also agreed that the other elements of the complex would have to go, refusing retention for the extension that was built without planning approval.
    It further stated that none of the elements remaining should be used at any time for the sale or consumption of alcohol.
    Also set to go is a museum on site called the Dracula Experience. The site of the development is close to Marino Crescent, where Dracula author Bram Stoker was born.
    Templeville Developments Ltd, owner of the Westwood Complex, also operates leisure centres in Leopardstown and Sandymount.
    The nightclub at the Clontarf Road venue has been the subject of repeated and consistent complaints. Local residents have opposed Barcode's licence and monthly special exemptions in the local district court.
    - Lisa-Anne Crookes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was there a few months ago, and they were running a magic show in the Dracula museum.

The museum itself really isn't very good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

is it the magic show you want to go to or just the muesum?

tbh, i wouldnt waste my time with either

the magic show was cringe worthy and th muesum was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember seeing the dracula museum on the telly a few years back and it looked hilariously bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Ah it's not the worst way to spend a few hours, interesting and i really liked one or two of the exhibits :)
    It feels like it was designed with lots of visitors in mind (there's places where i'd expect actors to be hiding. waiting to pounce, but there were only 4 of us visitors on the day in question :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

probably only loosing money now, the dodgy f'ers got away with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it will be a discrace if its torn down. i dont like the place but in the current economic climate putting more people on the dole is ludicrous

Advertisement