Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to Drop an M3 engine in my 318i

• 13-08-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a 06 318i Msport BMW.. Its a 2 litter engine in it but I would like to drop an M3 engine into it.. Can this be done.. If so where can I buy the engine?
    Its the latest model BMW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Its a lot more complicated than that AFAIK. You'll more than likely need a new wiring loom, gearbox, possibly running gear, uprated brakes and suspension, plus god knows what else.

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy an M3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+2

Utter madness

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stevef28

There is always something.. thanks ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why not buy a nice E46 M3. They are down alot recently. still look great and looks alot better than a E90 3 series saloon. You would then have a car that would be actually worth something in future. You would find it impossibe to insure the modified current car I would hope. Or perhaps it is your intention to have the M3 engine undeclared to insurance company and also still tax it as a 2 litre. If that is the case, well thats just nuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I would imagine the M3 chassis is different also. I doubt the 318 chassis / running gear would cope with the extra torque and horse power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stevef28

mickdw wrote: »
    Why not buy a nice E46 M3. They are down alot recently. still look great and looks alot better than a E90 3 series saloon. You would then have a car that would be actually worth something in future. You would find it impossibe to insure the modified current car I would hope. Or perhaps it is your intention to have the M3 engine undeclared to insurance company and also still tax it as a 2 litre. If that is the case, well thats just nuts

Yeah Was thinking about that.. Since I ahave lost my bollox on the one I have may as well drop a few years and finally get an M3..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

It will cost you around 20-25k to do that on a such recent car.

Yeah e46 M3 the way to go, or e9x if you are loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This guy did it with an E92 V8.

It would just be easier buying an M3 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

As others have said, the engine is only part of it. You'll want decent brakes and upgraded suspension too.

If yer going to go to the trouble, pop a V12 in there. I know it can be shoehorned into an E30, not sure about an e46 (not sure if thats what you have, little out of date on my models) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Its a lot more complicated than that AFAIK. You'll more than likely need a new wiring loom, gearbox, possibly running gear, uprated brakes and suspension, plus god knows what else.

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy an M3.

-ECU
    -CLOCKS
    -Prop Shaft
    -DIFF
    -Custom engine mounts
    -Time (Lots of it)
    -Money

Im not saying it cant be done, Just budget mssive ammount of time and effort.

I have a friend who spent a year and a half on an engine swap picking away at it on evenings and weekends.

Id have a look at driftworks oldskoolmanta (had an example of a non road setup)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It would be cheaper to turbo or super charge your existing engine. Tho you still won't get the whole M3 package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This guy did it with an E46 325 saloon:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=684854

(Now, that's what I call a sleeper car! :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Have to LOL at this OP. I wouldnt like to imagine what a diff, driveshaft, gearbox built to withstand 130bhp would make of 420!

Chip your 318i, maybe, wouldn't personally go to the effort of slapping a turbo onto it. If you want a proper performance car, though, get an E46 M3, still a fabulous road car. Available now for a good bit less than your original aspirational idea would cost, if it were done properly!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

When someone uses the word 'drop' an engine into a car its usually a good sign that it is something that is either impossible or something you are better off not even trying.

Advertisement