Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can u tell me, did I fail in English?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello every one,

I'm an international student and I just got my LC results, I tried to call the universities, the central Applications Office and the State Examinations Commission. However, either they don't answer or they say : " it is not our department! u need to talk to the department of .....".

Any way, I don't have puzzles for u! they are simple questions. Let's start by my results to make the situation more clear:

English
    Béarla Ordinary Level
    Gnáth Leibhéil D2
    Mathematics
    Matamaitic Ordinary Level
    Gnáth Leibhéil A1
    French
    Fraincis Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B1
    Chemistry
    Ceimic Ordinary Level
    Gnáth Leibhéil B1
    Biology
    Bitheolaíocht Ordinary Level
    Gnáth Leibhéil A2
    Arabic
    Araibis Higher Level
    Ard Leibhéil B2

they are ok except the English one. On the other hand, I got 6 in the IELtS and I'm resetting it again after two weeks. Hopefully I will get better result.

I'm looking to do mathematics in the college of science in Galway.

My question is : am I eligible to apply for mathematics in Ireland in spite of the fact that I did not pass English as I got D2?

if not, can I repeat the English exam(for the LC) before the universities start (I mean before 15 Sept 2009)?

I appreciate your answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

no - d2 is a pass mark.
    e, f, and ng are the fail marks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You seem to have done ok and you didn't fail English at all so congratulations.

Wait until Monday and see what offers from the CAO you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

You passed! Congrats!

Fair play for passing English as a non-native speaker. You probably did a lot better that plently of native speakers.

You should probably add up your points and see how they compare to the points required for the University Course last year. That will give you an indication as to wether you will get a CAO offer on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You did pass English. Well done. I calculate your points from what you've listed above to be 330. Again well done. If you are applying for the Science degree in Galway where you choose Maths as one of your electives, then you have met requirements (I assume you have an Irish exemption), the points for it were 280 last year and you have more than this. It could of course go up next Monday, but that would be a fairly big rise. Sit back and enjoy your weekend before the offers come on Monday. You do not need to repeat your English exam.

-Minimum Entry Requirements Bachelor of Science (Honours) in NUI Galway.

Minimum grade HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science and any two other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

Gaeilge - Bunleibheal - (Irish, Foundation Level) will not be accepted for Matriculation registration purposes.

One Grade E on Higher course at Leaving Certificate will be accepted if candidates have amongst their other subjects three Grade C3 awards on Higher course papers, or at least one Grade B3 and one Grade C3 on Higher course at Leaving Certificate or the equivalent grades at the Matriculation examination (up to and including 1992), or on the joint results of both examinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Welcome to Ireland!:)

Youd did Arabic so Im presuming you are from the Middle East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's pretty bad that no-one, especially the State Examinations Commission- told you you passed English with a D2. Well done for passing, you'll probably get into science so enjoy the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland!:)

Youd did Arabic so Im presuming you are from the Middle East.

He could also be French/Arabic. From what I understand there's quite a large Arabic poulation in France :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 geniusthinker

Thanks a million for every one tried to help…I am really happy that I passed…I was scared before u tell me that I passed.
    Now I could enjoy the weekend…fear no more the failing of the LC…
    for those who wounder: I'm Arabian but I speak French fluently as well as Arabic.
    so both of are in the right way,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

lol your fluent french and u didnt get an A in french?pfff unlucky:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

ooPabsoo wrote: »

A guy I know is also fluent in it as well, but the French version he speaks is different to the French on the LC course. I suppose it would be similar to how English is different here than in the US, but not by much.

On topic, well done, geniusthinker! You've done better in English than a few native English speakers I know! And you got a better LC result than a good few people I know too, so congrats! I hope you get your course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The french exam is much more formal than what natural french speakers are used to (i.e some words they use normally are considered slang in the exam). And i take it there is a fair bit of english in the exam. Congrats on the results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Piste wrote: »
    It's pretty bad that no-one, especially the State Examinations Commission- told you you passed English with a D2. Well done for passing, you'll probably get into science so enjoy the weekend!

Well, how could the SEC tell them they've "passed" when there's officially no such thing as a "pass" or a "fail"? The only issue (apart from points) is whether the particular grade in the particular subject meets the minimum entry requirement for the course a person is interested in. That information is in the CAO handbook, and should also be available from the admissions office of the college in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 geniusthinker

ooPabsoo wrote: »

ya man I'm fluent in Arabic and French:). However, when you're good and never go to class:cool: and never study you'll not get an A1 because the courses is not exactly the same as the reality, specially for languages, for example, you might see someone who is excellent in English but has no idea about poetry.

Why you did not ask the same question for the B in Arabic? and it is my native language. Moreover, I'm a poet in Arabic:). I'm really very good in Arabic literature. Honestly I speak and write much more better than the man who thought me in the leaving cert, and for this reason I never went to class!:D

I'm telling you some thing more, in the oral mock exam in french and in the real one, I was felling really sorry for the two examiners because they were lost with me :P
    they did not understand what I was saying...

This is life, some time you see your self in a place that is much more under your ability! at this stage you would hate this place and don't like to stay in it...

Again, thanks for you all...specially for you ooPabsoo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well, how could the SEC tell them they've "passed" when there's officially no such thing as a "pass" or a "fail"?

So if he/she had got an E in English would he/she have passed or failed English?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

amdublin wrote: »
    So if he/she had got an E in English would he/she have passed or failed English?

He/she would have failed English.

Many people do the LC and do not go on to further study, so for them the issue is not about points, but gaining enough marks to have a 'pass standard' which is 40% or higher, or a D3 or higher.

Advertisement