Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What drinks are veggie?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Just realised Fanta isn't veggie, ggrrrr....

Is Diet Coke veggie?? Getting angry at so many bits of animals slipped into everyday food and drink!:confused:

I love soft drinks but now am unsure what I can drink!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think Diet Coke is ok. There is a good bit on the net about veggie drinks. Have a look at the lists in the forum stickies:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58284606&postcount=4
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58284621&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

im sorry...what?! fanta???
    jesus christ why do they need to put animal into fanta??? grrr!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye fanta is not veggie, I have a bottle of it in my hand on my facebook picture, from holding it for somebody in work, at a work sports day.
    Girl that gave it to me said I should drink it then, I said I can't, it's not vegetarian, she said she couldn't either, because it wasn't vegetarian... and a friendship was born. :D

Lilt isn't either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

and a friendship was born. :D
    Awwww:pac:
    Lilt isn't either. :(
    But nobody drinks that muck anyway...ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Oh my god! Milky Ways unsuitable?! Balls, they're so good :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

JAGER!

well it better be!

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Oh my god! Milky Ways unsuitable?! Balls, they're so good :(

See with that I dunno....I would email them.
    Most rennet is veggie these days....isn't it?

I'm raging about fanta though.....how can anyone think it is a good thing to put insects in things. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Is Club Orange? Or Club Lemon? I miss fizzy drinks :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Yay! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Is Irn Bru suitable for veggies?!
    If it isn't I will write and complain xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sanjugibbs

There are lots of veggie drinks that you could choose from, but of course you should like first its taste, personally Carrot shake is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maameeo wrote: »
    JAGER!

well it better be!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4germeister
    Contrary to an urban legend, it does not contain any deer or elk blood

I never understood why alcohol drinks do not have to declare ingredients. In many spirits they might well have used animal products to clear the original wash (i.e. like finings in beer, gelatine or isinglass etc), then when distilled no solids can pass over, but it could well be flavoured, or contain condensed liquids which were once in an animal. So I imagine though not containing any animal products, some drinks used it in clearing so might not be suitable for vegans. Not sure if some veggies would also not drink them because of this (?). Seems some might not looking at this definition.
    The Vegetarian Society of Ireland defines a vegetarian as one who does not consume meat, fish or fowl and who aims to avoid the use and consumption of battery hen eggs and slaughterhouse by-products in food, clothing, cosmetic and household products.

Also I expect many liquer makers are not distillers and so their neutral spirits could come from various places, so ingredients could change from time to time, which they do not have to declare.

Why is WKD non-veggie? Is it cos of the colouring??

Might be gelatine in betacarotene or soemthing...don't know the ingredients.

although i saw this...

http://www.barnivore.com/liquor/WKD

which seems to suggest it is?

Ah I see, cool thanks :D
    Yeah I saw on a veggie site; so it should be removed from the list of things in the sticky thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do these firms ever get audited by associations to make sure they are telling the truth, be it knowingly or not? i.e. a small firm (without adequate professional knowledge) might genuinely think they are vegan, but might not be, just like the numerous tales of waiters & chefs thinking they are veggie/vegan and writing it on menus. Also recipes change all the time. It would be in their interests to lie and feign ignorance to increase their customer base. Or just change to cheaper production methods and not tell any sites or people who previously questioned them.

I just checked WKD and found this.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071222102440AAjT94D
    The most shocking bit in bold at the bottom.
    How could ANY alcohol be VEGAN unfriendly. Drink or do not drink as your conscience dictates all you want, but NO alcoholic beverage has any, I repeat, ANY animal matter or product in them. That goes for liquors, wines or malt beverages. The Yeasts that are involved in the brewing or fermentation process are NOT tiny animals. They are biologically a part of Kingdom FUNGI. And FUNGI are neither plants nor animals. Most Vegans I know don't mind Mushrooms in their salad and I have quite a few Vegans as friends. We sometimes agree to disagree, but don't forget Mushrooms are fungi too. Pretty soon Vegans are going to be like Jains in India who are so scared of getting bad karma they'll stop EATING altogether and starve to death. How do you know the Pineapple you are eating would have prefered NOT to be eaten, if you could ask it? How do you know the Apple might have prefered to be on the tree instead of on your dinner plate. If harming animals or fungi is such a major sin, how is destroying plant- life any better. Why not stop being so superstitious and eat what you eat because it is HEALTHY or nutritiouis nd do not eat what is NOT.
    There comes a place where you can take Veganism to the point of utter imbecility. Saying you can't be a Vegan and drink Vodka, which is made from grain or potatoes, is just plain ignorant.

Here's a link for you which might help straighten matters out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast.
    Source(s):
    I'm a biologist [botanical specialty] and a Vegetarian myself, but not Vegan as I follow Hindu patterns not that of extremist groups like PETA.

Oh jesus, cringe.

You are right about what you say about their customer bases, but companies do seem forthcoming when I ask them about products luckily. I am often told that I can't eat something due to 'x', or I can't wear these shoes due to 'x', even down to the glue! Although the company might not want them telling you this, it is a person you are talking to and mostly they seem to tell you the truth. I doubt companies changing recipes will actively seek to inform people that have enquired of the the change though.

'Real Ale For All' promote the use of isinglass-free ale.
    Link to their site: http://www.myspace.com/realaleforall

They recently managed to get a pub named the Kings Arms pub (Market Drayton, Shropshire) to now permanently stock vegan ale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

'Real Ale For All' promote the use of isinglass-free ale.
    Link to their site: http://www.myspace.com/realaleforall

They recently managed to get a pub named the Kings Arms pub (Market Drayton, Shropshire) to now permanently stock vegan ale :)
    Oh I'm going to live near there soon :D If I'm nearby I'll try it out :)

• Advertisement

yey! sounds great altogether. 'natural haze' of the drink must be admired :)

Advertisement