Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pizza Bases

• 13-08-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I was recently at the farmers market in Marlay Park and there is a nice Italian Chap cooking Pizzas , real nice pizzas. They are so nice because the bases are very thin , in fact they appear to be like Tortilla wraps BUT they are not! I tried Tortilla wraps in my Pizza oven and they get very soggy. I bought some from the guy directly and they worked a treat. Would anyone by any chance know where to buy these bases ? I dont want to be raiding his stock every week in Marlay Pk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I put tomato puree on ryvitas and grill them with cheese, or pop them in the oven. I have the opposite problem, too dry. If you cannot find bases (I bet they will be expensive if you do, how much did he charge?) then you could try putting the tortilla wrap in the oven on its own first, this will dry it up so it will not be so soggy. Even wraps are expensive, in blackrock market in dublin there is a new shop (not a stall) with all sorts of ethnic foods. I spotted wholemeal torillas, and normal ones, they were in big batches and not branded, I would guess they are cheap since most stuff is in there, there was no price and the guy was busy so I never asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

pitta breads make a really good mini pizza base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

he was charging €1.50 a pop which is reasonable enough IMO ! The Artisan pizza ones that you can buy are €2 each...I might ask him where he gets them BUT I doubt he will tell , the last time I bought some of him he was very secretive and kept everything hidden under his stall - I doubt he makes them as they are too thin....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Lidl do wraps that are thicker than ordinary tortilla wraps. They're about €1.50 for six of them and taste yummy as a pizza base. I usually top them with whatever veg I have and some feta cheese and lash them in the oven for ten mins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's really worth making your own. It's easy peasy - I've taught a complete non-cook to do it themselves. You just need a little patience to let the dough rise.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

I find this is very foolproof - usually make 1/2 with 500g flour and 1 sachet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 freddy15

Where can I buy ready made pizza bases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bread machine FTW on this one. Chuck all the ingredients in and wait 45 mins. Even easier-peasier :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

freddy15 wrote: »
    Where can I buy ready made pizza bases?

Superquinn do their own packs of 2, they look like 9 inch, never try'd them myself tho.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Avoca sell them too. Honestly lads, you'll make your own and wonder why in the world you were buying them. They are infinitely better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

olaola wrote: »
    Avoca sell them too. Honestly lads, you'll make your own and wonder why in the world you were buying them. They are infinitely better!

+ a Brazilian.

I've never seen a pizza base in a shop that didn't look stodgy, thick and pretty fcuking awful.

Homemade is the only way to go - plus it's a fraction of the cost of buying them.

The only thing I'd say to anyone following a Jamie Oliver recipe for pizza bases/bread/pasta is ignore his slightly snobbish advice to just pile the flour into a mound. USE A BOWL. Believe me, you'll be saving yourself a world of pain, particularly if you're a total beginner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Honey-ec wrote: »
    + a Brazilian.

I've never seen a pizza base in a shop that didn't look stodgy, thick and pretty fcuking awful.

Homemade is the only way to go - plus it's a fraction of the cost of buying them.

The only thing I'd say to anyone following a Jamie Oliver recipe for pizza bases/bread/pasta is ignore his slightly snobbish advice to just pile the flour into a mound. USE A BOWL. Believe me, you'll be saving yourself a world of pain, particularly if you're a total beginner.
    Have to say i agree with you about the bowl, im a newbie, tried the mound, it was a disaster, makes an awful mess!

Lidl do wraps that are thicker than ordinary tortilla wraps. They're about €1.50 for six of them and taste yummy as a pizza base. I usually top them with whatever veg I have and some feta cheese and lash them in the oven for ten mins....
    Thanks for that I tried the Lidl wraps and they worked a treat - really delicious;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

if you can get your hands on some lebonese bread, it works excellent as a pizza base. just incase ya ever want an alternative from the lidl ones :)

vixenbees wrote: »
    if you can get your hands on some lebonese bread, it works excellent as a pizza base. just incase ya ever want an alternative from the lidl ones :)
    its all about the base in fairness , some great recommendations - keep them coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

If you are buying them I highly recommend the Artisan ones, they are most like real Italian thin Pizza bases and so handy to freeze and use whenever you want - they defrost in 5 minutes. They make them in the proper Italian way over 2 days.

Top them with a simple sauce of crushed/blended tomatos, salt and olive oil, some fresh mozzerella cheese, some sliced tomato and sprinkle with some hand torn basil after cooking. Black pepper can also add to the taste. The pizza is not overloaded with ingredients so you get to taste them properly, you'll never buy a frozen pizza again! Stockists are listed here:

http://artisanpizza.ie/where.html

Advertisement