Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a DVD player - blu-ray or not?

• 13-08-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a DVD player but am not too sure whether i should be looking to get a standard player or a blu-ray player.

I have between 100 and 150 euro to spend. I assume that blu-ray players will also play standard definition DVDs? My main worry is that Blu-Ray will be another short-lived fad like HDDVD or mini-discs or sega saturn or......the cheeky girls.

Can anyone advise me on the situation, and maybe recommend a product or two. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

gnolan wrote: »
    I have between 100 and 150 euro to spend.

With that budget I'd suggest looking at plain DVD players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

nereid wrote: »
    With that budget I'd suggest looking at plain DVD players.

You reckon? You think for that price i'd end up with a crappy entry level-type Blu-Ray player?

Any suggestion for a good standard DVD player? Maybe one that can play .avi's through a usb or SD-card? Or is that asking a little too much of a DVD player?!

You reckon? You think for that price i'd end up with a crappy entry level-type Blu-Ray player?

My question to this is why would you want that? You'd never get to see the benefits of blu ray and end up cursing the new technology.

Save up for a ps3 if you want a pretty good BR player with very little better feature wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

nereid wrote: »
    My question to this is why would you want that? You'd never get to see the benefits of blu ray and end up cursing the new technology.

Save up for a ps3 if you want a pretty good BR player with very little better feature wise.

I never said i wanted that. I asked if 100-150 would only get me a crappy entry level blu-ray player, suggesting i am unfamiliar with the prices of blu-ray players; not suggesting i want a crappy entry level player.

Have been looking at the Philips DVP5990/05, seems to have a USB 2.0 port for playing movies, music jpegs etc. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP3360-05-1080p-Player/dp/B0024FA8UQ Anyone any views on it, seems to have some decent reviews on avforums.

I never said i wanted that....
    Have been looking at the Philips DVP5990/05,
    Okay, you need to make a choice:

either you want a BR player for example the ps3 has usb ports, much more media opportunities and network capabilities, but costs more than your original budget allows

or

you want a DVD player that fits in your budget and does a few things besides playing DVD's which you didn't specify in your original post.

If it is the latter, I'm not the best person to comment further as I'm more of the opinion of leaving players play and media devices do media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You can get a decent enough bluray from Richersounds for between £110-150 and it's free delivery if you're from boards.

If you've a HDTV, go for a bluray

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

There is a tivoli player with HDMI cable in aldi for €45 as a special this week,
    I have a HD television but I can't say whether it is good or not yet as I got someone to buy it for me and hadn't collected it yet.

Don't want to buy one of blu ray players until next year when prices are bound to go down! Remember dvd player costing like €300 at start of era :p

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

The Sony BDP S350 Blu Ray is in Currys (Mahonpoint) for 167 euro at the moment, stunning value for an excellent Blu Ray player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The Sony BDP S350 Blu Ray is in Currys (Mahonpoint) for 167 euro at the moment, stunning value for an excellent Blu Ray player.

Seconded, that's a great price a very good piece of kit. Xtravision have it too for €199 with 3 Blu-rays free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bump. Suppose its not that long ago.

I notice that the Sony Blue ray player mentioned above is now retailing from between 159 and 199 in Currys, HMV and Sony Stores not sure what price they are in each store.

Anyone know of any other good Blue Rays for less than 150euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

prices have come down alot in the last couple of months, powercity have sony blurays from 128 euro

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-15&brands=SONY

amazon.co.uk have philips bluray for 105 Sterling inc shipping(free shipping above 25pounds)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026WNDV8/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=009RRENMZASXYVQ1Q3KF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

both are good machines for silly money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jev/N wrote: »
    If you've a HDTV, go for a bluray

QFT
    Bluray definitely doesn't seem to be a fad at all, and the prices are starting to drop to reasonable levels (picked up Xmen 2 for less than a fiver recently, Dark Knight for under a tenner etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Advertisement