Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to teach dog to play fetch?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My dog has very little interest in playing fetch. Sometimes he brings the ball to me I throw it for him and he brings it back maybe twice and then seems to lose interest.
    If I randomly pick up the ball and throw it he looks at it as if to say ''You expect me to chase that?''.
    I thought all dogs like to play fetch? Anyone have suggestions?

EDIT: he is a 2yr old bichon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Well best way is to train them when they are a pup, but at 2 years old you have to make it worth their while , small tiny treats every time they return with the ball. Keep repeating .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

What does he get out of it? That's the way he'll be looking at it.

If he gets a treat or extra fuss every time he brings the ball back then he's going to feel more encouraged and motivated to return more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Agree with needing to reward the dog. Our 9 month old Cav loves fetch but you need to keep it interesting for her. I usually keep a few different toys with me so that when she brings back her ball, I swap it for a squeaky toy or whatever and that way she's getting different toys and textures to work with.

Also, make your dog go into the sit, lie-down or whatever position before throwing the ball or work on "stay" or "leave it" commands. It's a great way of incorporating training into playing and also gives the dog a bit more mental stimulation than just running back and forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup when we got Lily she was almost 2 years old, and she'd clearly never been played with. Didn't know about toys or playing ball or even just playing mess rough with us. Took a good while because she'd get a bit freaked out not sure what we were doing. Or giving us that 'what does this do' look.
    Encouragement and treats and make it fun for him. He just doesn't understand it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

The girlfriends bichon frese is the same. She just looks at the ball and walks off. My sprocker just loves the game and never had to be thought. Just did it. Its funny, he wil go through anythin to retrieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks to all for your replies.
    I don't think I explained it very well, he knows what the "game" is about, he just has no interest in it most of the time.

I am thinking my question should have been, how do I get my dog to want to play fetch?

I give him a rub or treats when he brings back the ball but he loses interest very quickly.

I only want him to play as a way for him to get some exercise in addition to his walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ah - thats an entirely different question so and one I wouldn't have a clue about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

then hes just not bothered maybe find a game he likes more like tug of war my dog loves that

Aye Lily sees Daisy playing fetch but doesn't have any interest in joining in.
    She likes to play tug or play with toys etc so maybe try a different game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

my labrador diesel( sadly not with us an more) was into fetch but not with sticks or balls or toys but he had a thing for big stones i dont no why but he just loved to chase them like mad, an bring them back an easily drop for another throw, he loved to swin an even putting hes head under the water to find it, an he had no problem bringing the stone home with him in hes mouth.

we also made him to fetch the phone in the hall, by treating him when done but after a while he was a bit clever, he would start fectching the phone without been asked, he was easily bribed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks to all for your advice. I guess I can't make him like it.
    In fairness he is a happy chappy and once he has company he is delighted :) He prefers to play with the ball on his own, fighting it and pushing it away with his paws and the battling it again! I know sounds a bit strange but he likes it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your advice. I guess I can't make him like it.
    In fairness he is a happy chappy and once he has company he is delighted :) He prefers to play with the ball on his own, fighting it and pushing it away with his paws and the battling it again! I know sounds a bit strange but he likes it :)

Well Bichons were bred as a companion breed so they probably wouldn't have as much of a retrieving instinct as a hunting breed like a retriever or a cocker spaniel. :)

Not strange at all, my two love playing with toys by themselves sometimes. Both will throw the ball/ bits of stick or crap they find in the air and then pounce on it. Daisy will bat at things and run and bounce on it like a lamb, seems a bit mental but she has fun :)
    so once your chap is happy and enjoys things then I wouldn't worry about the fetching game. As I said, Lily doesn't understand/doesn't want to do fetch so we play other things.

Advertisement