Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVT also known as supraventricular tachycardia

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys i have been recently been told i have a condition called (SVT) also known as supraventricular tachycardia, I find it hard to deal with as it is getting worse im 28 years old and it is starting to interfere with my life, I cant drink much alchol , im afraid to take holidays as i feel i could die abroad if something happened as i do faint due to the dissy spells and rappid heart rate, just wondering if any one else suffers with SVT its so hard to explain to family and friends as i dont even understand it myself, i was told for years it was panic attacks but i knew it was more than that be good to chat to someone in the same boat!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is not really suited to this forum (nutrition & Diet). I am moving it to long term illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Hi

I've always gotten this thing with my heart, never knew what to call it, but never figured out what it is. I've said it many times, been told i'm stressed, and it's a panic attack, and my arguement was that I wasn't panicking. Was never sure, so didn't really persue it much, since most gps seem to be happy telling you it's nothing. One doctor I went to mentioned something about it maybe being SVT, she sent me for an ECG and ultrasounds and everything. All was normal they said. I've always maintained if they could monitor me when this episode happens they'd see how odd it is. My heart just starts racing suddenly, I could just have picked something up or something, actually not thinking or worrying about anything. And it stops suddenly too, could be within 5 seconds, could be a day later.

I was in hospital last May for a colonoscopy, and I actually had one of these episodes. I thought...at last it'll be recorded and they can see. They did record it with one of those machines, but never gave me any idea what was wrong. Said I was panicking. So i don't know what to think.

I got this again just the other day for only ten seconds. I get panic attacks so I know it's not one.

Should I go back to a doctor and ask about SVT? How exactly did you actually get a diagnosis???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hell0kitty

sound just like me !! you should go back to ur doc and maybe suggest it! i had all ecg , echo's monitors and stil not sure what it is, i went private and was told i have svt , i have meds and tests stil going on but i knew somethong was not right , u know ur own body dont ignore the signs , i cut out alchol, tea coffee , coco, red bull anything that make s my heart racei find it helps me !

good luck hope u get better soon!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi hell0kitty,

I have similar symptoms to yours and identifywith how you feel so thought I'd post...

I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia (IST). IST is a fome of SVT (there are several different types) and I was also dismissed as being "anxious" and having panic attacks. I'm on medication for it now and although my doctors think it's fine the way it is because it's not life threatening, I still feel it really affects my life on a daily basis.

I've given up alcohol altogether and anything containing caffeine. I too get very dizzy and faint on occasion. I hate that feeling of palpitations - especially at night. I find it also makes me very tired all the time - I also think the Beta Blockers I'm taking for it add to that too though.

My family also find it hard to understand. I'm in my late 20s too - diagnosed about a year ago. I find IST a very frustrating condition to be diagnosed with as basically it's what they say you have when they have ruled out every other possible cause of the tachycardia. Basically they have no idea why it's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gh1979

I wish to say thank you for sharing me with your SVT experience on Boards.ie. I was diagnosed with SVT in June. Prior to that, I had a heart problem over anxiety and panic attack. However, my SVT was mostly caused by induced exercise. I am still taking medication. I find it no easy to deal with SVT when I do physical exercise, like gym and gardening work etc. I am still learning to live with SVT. Do you recommend me to go to UHG? What is UHG? University Hospital of Galway? I will see the cardiologist in Cork next two weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

i an 29 and have this its the most horrendous feeling ever when your heart jumps! i get panic attacks and anxiety it got worse when i was pregnant, i was sent to vincents to cardiologists got numerous ecg ecos and im ok but still terrified everytime i get one i think im going to die!

I was walking up a steep hill today and bang got one got dizzy off it still shakey now from it, suppose its not gonna go and ill have tgo try and live with it too but its so difficult! cant drink alcohol or tea well have the odd cuppa wasnt giving any medication for it just wish i didnt have it.

I feel like its taking over my life waiting for it to happen!

Advertisement