Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate Prices

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

Going to put the roof on my build next month so just wondering what kind of prices people have seen for Tegral Trutone Plus and Capco equivalent recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

IMO stay away from manufactured slate. The quality and appearance are miles from natural slate.. And before I get corrected.. Yes natural slates are dearer but trutone tegral etc are in my opinion a horrible eyesore used by developers as per cost savings.

Look down the natural slate route. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sadly the budget doesn't allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

i couldnt afford natural slate either

i am very happy with the tegral rivendale slate - it wasnt too expensive and makes the house blend in well with the surrounding scrubland/bog/rural sort of a thing!

rivendale-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a lot of manufactured slates out there that are every bit as effective and appealing as natural slates and can be got for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Hi Muffler,

any you like in particular?

Obviously its a personal preference but I'll be looking soon at the options for the extension of flat concrete tiles to match the current house, or manufactured slates or natural slates so if there are any manufactured slates you would recommend to have a look at it would be a good lead.

• Advertisement

Capco and Tegral both have a wide and varied selection of both slates and tiles. Good back up service to boot.

Edit: Forgot to add the Quinn Roof Tile is also fairly popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

jasperok wrote: »
    i couldnt afford natural slate either

i am very happy with the tegral rivendale slate - it wasnt too expensive and makes the house blend in well with the surrounding scrubland/bog/rural sort of a thing!

rivendale-2.jpg

I used the tegral rivendale slate on my house as well. But I did find them a little expensive in comparison to other tegral slates at €1.50 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

true, but they have a lovely crinkle finish so i am very happy with the comprimise
    Of course I'd have loved a natural slate but like many things in life you cant always get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WexfordGirl

We used Capco Berona slate (roof went on in June) which we got for 99c/slate (excl VAT) after meeting local builders suppliers and capco rep. We were quoted 1.15/slate for the Tegral Thrutone.

Capco also supplied gable and valley trims at a good price and were neat and tidy. Dont forget to check price of ridge tiles - they are always expensive and it adds up!

10 year guarantee on colour so fingers crossed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

have been quoted 1.00 euro + vat per slate for natural 20x10 slates. Good price?

have been quoted 1.00 euro + vat per slate for natural 20x10 slates. Good price?
    Very good price for natural

No-one bought any trutrone recently??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Again more the reason people should be using natural slate. But suppose everyone to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

quoted 2 euro for a spanish natural 24 X12 slate. i'd say this is competitive compared to synthetic stuff and worth it in my opinion given the discolouration, warping etc of a lot of synthetic/ concrete slates i see on relatively new houses

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scoobymac

I bought Tegral trhrutone plus blue/black in the last 2 weeks.
    If i remember correctly I think it worked out at €1.66 each inc vat
    Will check later it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

they are natural spanish slates

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Will be doing a deal shortly for natural Brazilian slates 20 x 10's < €0.85 + Vat ea. Had prices 2 years ago of €2.50 ea + Vat...they're is vicious competition out there at the minute! Buyers market for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Mazotasan & YourAvergaeJoe

Would you mind sending me on details of where you are getting your slates via pm please.

Thanks

Bull

Just a reminder that there's no problem with posting company/business names in this sub forum so long as the people have no connections. If its good for the community then its OK :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

Hi Matozan and AverageJoe,

I would also appreciate the supplier details for your slates also please.

It is great now to be able to mention suppliers in the open forum here (as long as you have no connection).

Have no connections to or with anyone but at same time am still thrashing out the deal...My advice would be that if you have a decent quantity 5000 + try contacting some of the larger suppliers direct and see if you can do business...

Slates are more or less like anything else you will pay for what you get. The Brazilian slates are good value for aesthetics/natural product. My understanding is that they are a couple of million years younger than say than say the Spanish or blue bangors and mined higher up in the old river beds, this makes them a little more brittle (or less hard). They should be installed using 'J' or 'point' hooks which allows for some movement. If nailed they can be more prone to cracking (across the middle from hole to hole). Just a few things I've picked up and I could be corrected. Also expected to pay more for grey/black variety over the grey/green. The grey/green matches our stonework. Either way they do look beautiful on a roof...my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Folks

Could you pm those suppliers names as well.

Thanks.

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quack13

Can someone PM me on them details too. Thanks.

Can't believe no-one here has bought any Tegral Trutone lately, I'll hopefully work out how many I need at the weekend and start ringing around for prices and post them once i get them

See post #21 above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi, Got these prices/advice from Murdochs in Derry

Nova black 600 x 300 brazilian slate @*£;1335/1000 (need to use point hooks £85/1000 / 30 year guarantee / Capco slate)

Bretona Spanish 600 x 300 slate @*£;2150/1000 (good slate / 50 year guarantee)

Bretona Spanish 500 x 250 @*£;1450/1000

Forna Spanish 500 x 250*@*£;1400/1000 (Lagan slate / very good quality / 50 year guarantee)

Gallegus Spanish 500 x 250*@*£;1250/1000*(Very good seller / keenly priced / 50 year guarantee)

Nova Black 500 x 250*@*£;1100/1000*(As detail for larger slate / 10% waste with this slate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 minerbhoy67

where are you based,would be interested in having a look,or can you post photos,sorry this post was for mazotasan

Am pouring floors next week so no slates onsite for a while. Will check to see if I can find pics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

windyboy - have you any tax and/or delivery on those prices?

Are people finding their local hardware suppliers cheaper than the main companies direct?

Cheapest Thrutone we've got so far is €1.63 including VAT from our local supplier.
    Cheapest we got on Capco Berona Stonedge = €1.64 incl.VAT
    Cheapest " " " " Berona Natural = €1.76 "
    Both from Capco direct.
    All slates 60x30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement