Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbing query!

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hello all
    does anybody know if there is a limit to the nuber of Tees in the flow and return of a central heating system? with my extention there will be three Tees in the system. is this ok? or does the water tend to just take the path of least resistance leving some radiators cold?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its very hard to tell what you mean. Its not the amount of tees that matter its the flow and return situation that matter. If your heating is working then dont worry but if its not describe your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

lentec wrote: »
    hello all
    does anybody know if there is a limit to the nuber of Tees in the flow and return of a central heating system? with my extention there will be three Tees in the system. is this ok? or does the water tend to just take the path of least resistance leving some radiators cold?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Provided each of your radiators is properly balanced between flow and return then as Joey says, the number of tees is irrelevant. If any are not working properly, close all the return valves (the ones without a screw cap), then open each progressively until all the rads heat evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The size of pipe that the tees come off would be important too, But if its 3 tees from a 3/4 or 1 inch pipe then theres no problem if its balenced properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lentec

sorry to be a bit vague on the matter...
    the original system works fin with all rads heating up well. i have put an extetion on my house and want to pipe up 5 more rads to the existing system this will involve splitting the flow and return with T connectors another 3 times.
    i guess i will just have to try it and try and ballance the system.
    thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

5 more rads, my only concern is that your boiler might be a bit small for 5 extra rads, it will prob work ok but boiler might be working good bit harder.
    Depends on your boiler . Just said id mention it so your aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

5 rads is upstairs in a house. Its a massive load. Boilers are usually over speced by about 20% 50-80,000 btu being the standard system boiller. Unless you had a 16 bed mansion I doubt this boiler will do. But no harm trying. I doubt you have factored in 1500 for supply and fit.

Advertisement